Would an accurate "lie detector" benefit humanity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sykikal, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

Just an interesting hypothetical situation I came up with, if technology to read minds or actually detect lies was ever developed, would our species as a whole benefit from it? In this hypothetical situation, you'd have to be hooked up to a machine, so you'd know it was happening, and you'd have to "consent" to it. You can't "trick" into it, either you let the machine access your thoughts or you don't. Because of this, you could be tortured or "compelled" to go into the machine by law enforcement or a spouse or whoever.

Some advantages:

• Criminals could no longer lie in court to escape their actions.
    • Leaders/politicians could be held more accountable, or at least they would look bad for refusing to use the test.
    • No more innocent people in prison. People could take this test to clear their name.
    • Big scams/cover ups could be easily unraveled, or again, at least the people would look suspicious for refusing to use the tech.

Disadvantages:

• Totalitarian governments would have much more power. The ability to overthrow them or work against them in secret (which is probably the only way to do it if they're strong enough) would be gone.
    • Could be seen as invasion of privacy. It might get to the point where every parent demands their kids take this test, or every girl/boyfriend gets their significant other to take it everytime they have doubts,
    • Every employer might want their employee to take it often. Which I don't know whether or not this is really a bad or a good thing. On one hand you could say that it helps filter out deceptive people from jobs they shouldn't have but on the other you could say that it lets the employers pry into your life too much, and that it lets them base hiring decisions on factors that shouldn't be relevant.
    • Refusal to get involved with it might imply guilt. People who didn't like it might be assumed guilty or look bad.
    Is deception a necessary practice to get our species to function? Does the good outweigh the bad here? Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  2. shadowray7

shadowray7 Resident Maki Worshipper

What if you tricked yourself into believing the lie is the truth?

'likeocelotdidmultipletimes

3. Sykikal

I guess you have a point, I should have specified this. For the sake of argument, I'll go with what George from Seinfeld said. "It's not a lie if you believe it." It's a device to determine if the person is being deceptive, not the truth of the universe. eg. If someone actually believes the world is flat, the device isn't going to say they're lying and that it's actually round, just that they believe it's flat.

4. shadowray7

Everyone will now start developing self brainwashing techniques.

The point is no longer moot.

5. Sykikal

Eh, that could happen but it's much easier to just lie than alter someone's core beliefs, and I'd like to think that at least those at the top eg. the ones doing the brainwashing would know the "real" side of the debate. I don't think it'd be easy for criminals to just erase the memories of their crime or for people running scams to delude themselves that much or that often.

6. Sykikal

:grumpy:C'mon guys, this is a good topic. Bump for potential interesting philosophical discussion.

7. shadowray7

Fenrir likes this.
  8. Sykikal

You really think it's that easy to erase your memories and brainwash yourself?