Wii VirtualWare Reviews: Dr. Mario Online RX (WiiWare)

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Super Smash Bros. Fan, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Super Smash Bros. Fan

Super Smash Bros. Fan My first forum...

Hello everybody! Super Smash Bros. Fan is here! Today I'm going to review Dr. Mario Online RX for WiiWare. After a lost of Dr. Mario in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and that it had online, I dedcided to download this game. Has the game cure my anger of lack or Dr. Mario in Super Smash Bros. Brawl or does it make it worse?

Past Overview: Dr. Mario got his start in 1990 on the NES and Game Boy. I owned it on the Game Boy. That was a blast to play at my grandmother house. If you find a copy and like puzzle get it. It is a piece of history you won't want to miss.
    Eleven year later Dr. Mario 64 was released for the Nintendo 64. Unlike the past game, it has a plot. Trust me it is a great plot and great music. Even thought this game is mixed review, you should defindently get it if it ever comes on the Virtual Console.
    He also apper in Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube. Despite being a clone (Which is why he got removed.), I loved playing as him.
    However does this title make medical marvel? We'll see now!

Graphic: Very nice graphic for a simple WiiWare game. It meet Gamecube standards, which is a very good accomplishment. Everything is detailed properly.

Sound Effect: Classic sound effect mixed with modern sound effect and you got a well done job sound.

Music: If you thought the sound effect is good, then you have got to check out the music. I love the Sneeze and Cough music. They should had put it in Super Smash Bros. Brawl! I also like the Fever music althought worse then the Melee and Brawl remix. However I just ignored the Chill music most of the time.

Control: This is Classic Dr. Mario gameplay.
    Hold your Wiimote sideway in Dr. Mario mode.
    To move your pill, on your D-Pad press left and right to move it. To do a soft drop press down on D-Pad. To perform a hard drop, press up on the D-Pad. Press 1 to rotate your pill to the left and 2 to rotate your pill on the right.

Gameplay: The goal is to get rid of the Supervirus in a bottle. To do that get four of the same color on a virus to elimante them. Avoid getting to the top or you get a Game Over. There is another mode called Virus Buster in where you destroy the Super Virus in a similar way, only that you use a Wii Mote.
    You can also do a 2-player match with a COM Player or with another player. The goal is that you try to avoid getting to the top. The one who gets to the top loses. There is also a online mode where you can play with another human player. The goal is the same. Before and after a match you get to do a simple chat with another player. If you win you go up in ranking, if you lose you go down. You can also send a limited version of this game to your Wii friend and battle you Dr. Mario Online RX friend.

Bad aspect: It is a good game but does not live up to my hype:
    1. Why did they removed the Dr. Mario 4-player match? This is so unfair! If Bomberman Blast can handle 8-player online why not 4-player offline in this Dr. Mario mode?

2. They removed the story mode that people loved in Dr. Mario 64! Since this is a WiiWare game I'll give is some well deserve mercy.

3. Now that WiiWare games such as Bomberman Blast and Megaman 9 is out, it is no longer fun to play this game regualy!

4. You can't do competition in Virus Buster which is so unfair! I mean I love competition. Wait they hate competition?

That all for now!

Good aspect: This game manage to keep me up for awhile thought. First off it has lagless online which was a nice feature to add. Another good thing is that while you can't do 4-player match in classic Dr. Mario style, you can at least do it in Virus Buster when working together. Also graphical improvement make the character more free-moving. Another good thing is that you can play as you Mii! I really love playing as a Mii! Don't forget that the COM is actually challenging and smart and not predictable.

Overall: Dr. Mario fans will love it! While it will lose populairty with games such as Tetris Party out and that this ins't recommend to all Mario fans it still has some light out of it. I give this game a well deserve 7.0 out of 10.

Games I will review:
    1. Megaman (NES)
    2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
    3. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
    4. F-zero X (N64)
    5. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
    6. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

I hope you enjoy this review! You may all be my critics. You can review it from a 0 to a 10. No decimal points are allowed thought.

2. Gogeta

Gogeta Inactive

i vote it a 6-and-a-half-minus-one-tenths/10 , it was a pretty good review , but you kept misspelling "though". and you never really give a final judgement on the sections (like music),othe then that , good job.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  3. Yukinari

Yukinari Keep up the Streak!

Dr.Mario 64 will always be better, but its just a wiiware game for old dr.mario fans, didnt expect a lot, still fun.

4. Funke

Funke Inactive

make an entire 'review' thread. Stop posting these.