What is your opinion on shiny Pokemon gained through Instacheck?

Discussion in 'Pokémon hacking' started by Lavitz, Nov 27, 2013.

?

Is Instacheck shiny abuse cheating?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

Assuming you already know what this is, what do you think about it? Is it cheating for shiny Pokemon?

If you don't, basically it's a program that lets you see Pokemon data in trades and you can use it to find your SV (shiny value). If a SV matches your trainer SV, then the Pokemon will be shiny so people will check their eggs for the SV then trade them to the right trainer so it will be a guaranteed shiny Pokemon. This leaves nothing up to chance, as it will always be 100% shiny.

I consider this cheating because whether or not you get a shiny is no longer up to luck with this method, it would be like having a "shiny hatch" action replay code although it's a bit different than that and requires a matching egg before it works. What do you think?

2. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

I personally have mixed feelings on this. I think I can understand the validity in both sides of the argument. The argument could be made that having this third party tool and the knowledge it provides is an unfair advantage over people who don't have it. It would be like a game where there's a luck based action to get a high score or something, like a shell game, and you have a device that tells you which shell the object is under.

On the other hand, people have used third party devices to get information from Pokemon for ages, and it is only different now because it is for the individual's game and not the entire game. eg. IVs, hidden power formulas, the exact shiny rate, egg moves, etc. A lot of people only know about information because someone hacked into the game and drew out information, then posted it online. Maybe information you weren't actually supposed to know in such detail.

I think the line between when cheating ends and begins is very subjective. I remember some people argued that the Darkrai/Shaymin glitches in the Japanese games were cheating, and some people argued that it was just taking advantage of something built into the game. Though then there was a rage glitch that enabled any Pokemon to learn almost any move would also fall under this same category. Isn't it hypocritical to say one is legal and one is cheating?

I personally like Instacheck. It has saved me from getting scammed on several occasions by checking the IVs of the other person's Pokemon before accepting the deal. Though, you could argue that doing so is cheating. You weren't supposed to know what the other party's IVs are, and there'd be no way of knowing without using a third party program. Yet I think programs like battle analyzer which show you your opponent's moves are 100% cheating, even though from a technical standpoint they're more or less the same thing.

I don't see Instachecking for shinies as the same thing as using an action replay code, since there's still some work involved. Is it still cheating, just a lesser form of cheating? I'm personally leaning towards "No". I arbitrarily approve of IV checking, Shiny value checking, but not battling checking, just like I arbitrarily approve of Darkrai and Shaymin but not the Rage glitch. Again, I think when cheating begins and ends is subjective.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013