What is your opinion on CGI in anime?

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Lavitz, Aug 2, 2014.

?

What is your opinion on CGI in anime?

1. I like it if done correctly

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. It has no place in anime

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm indifferent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

CGI is very common in modern anime, replacing high action and heavy movement scenes that would be difficult to animate the traditional way but sometimes it doesn't always look good or it stands out too much from the 2D backgrounds.

Here are some examples of CGI used in anime

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

To be honest it never even occurred to me that those scenes were CGI when watched Kill La Kill and Full Metal Alchemist. I can kind of see the difference now that you pointed out specific scenes that include then, but even now I'm not completely sure I would know what is CGI and what isn't. For example, in the third scene, I suppose it does look more "3D" than most anime scenes but I didn't really know that was a sign it was CGI. If there were animated scenes and CGI scenes side by side, just might be able to tell the difference. Though unless I was specifically looking for the CGI I doubt I'd notice it while I was just watching an anime.

Is this CGI? I didn't think about it at the time, but now that I'm looking back on it, it does sort of resemble the CGI look

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  3. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Yes that is CGI.

There was a good bit of CGI in DBZ: Battle of Gods and it was really, really well done.

CGI just looks more computer made than hand drawn, just the way a cartoon looks like a cartoon instead of real life. Go watch the intro or gameplay of something like DBZ Burst Limit, you can very clearly tell it's computer generated and not hand drawn, it's that obvious to me. Maybe watch an episode of DBZ like the battle with Nappa and then look at a video game version of it, you can tell.

4. Lavitz

lol, that scene is so bad

[​IMG]

5. Sykikal

Oh, that scene is CGI? The animation style did seem different and more three dimensional now that I think about it but I didn't realize it was CGI at the time. What's the problem with this scene? It looks good to me.

Is Beerus's energy ball attack CGI as well? It did seem kind of different to me than the other attacks.

Yeah, it's fairly easy for me to tell if it is all CGI like in the Digimon scene. It is mostly when they mix it together that I have trouble noticing the difference.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  6. Lavitz

It's just too much CGI, to the point where it's distracting. The background isn't supposed to be what you're paying attention to, it's just background.

There are better scenes that don't use CGI in DBZ:

Skip to 44:10

7. Sykikal

Late response here, but felt this discussion became relevant again. Even though this poll doesn't reveal who voted, it looks like "I like it if done correctly" is unanimous, so I am guessing even you aren't completely against CGI in anime. What are some of the times you like it if you don't mind me asking? What about the times you really dislike it?

8. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

watch

CROWley likes this.
  9. Sykikal

Okay, even I have to admit that's really bad.

10. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

I agree. I was skeptical at first but it lived up to the title. That was horrible.

I've only see a couple shows. Not really a fan of anime. The scenes look good but they can be distracting. They just look out of place to me.

11. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

I liked Sailor Moon Crystal's CGI transformations, it gives the new anime a ''revamped'' and ''modern'' look to it.

12. Lavitz

All of JoJo's openings have some really good looking CGI, I'd like to see a whole anime in this style: