What do you think about (paid) downloadable content?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Sykikal, Jun 26, 2010.

?

What do you think about downloadable content?

1. Terrible, just a way for publishers to charge us extra for a full game.

25.0%
  2. I don't like it, there have been times when content that would have been free was made DLC.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It's so-so. I don't mind it when they're actually providing substantially new content.

12.5%
  4. It's pretty good. It lets you get extra content, and nobody is forcing you to buy it.

25.0%
  5. It's great. It allows publishers to add more content and value to their games.

37.5%
  1. Sykikal

Sykikal Administrator Staff Member

Some consoles, most notably the Xbox 360 charge extra for additional content in video games. Known as "downloadable content". There has been some criticism to downloadable content, some feel that publishers are giving users "incomplete" games, or putting what would have otherwise been free behind "pay walls". It also makes it more difficult for people to realize the actual price of certain items. For example, if something is "1500 microsoft points" it's actually $18.75.

What do you think of downloadable content? Has it helped gaming?

2. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive

Some even sell you the disc with the DLC already on it and you have to pay to unlock it.

3. Seth

Seth Fame Had An IV

I dislike how you have to pay for an add-on for a game, that you have already purchased. Sometimes they can be anywhere from $3.99-$15.00, which can be completely pointless. For example, the maps on call of duty, if there are "millions of people doing it" why can't they just give all these "millions of people" the few extra terrians to play? what is this i don't even

4. Sykikal

Sykikal Administrator Staff Member

I'm aware of that. I'm pretty sure that's due to online play. I mean, say if there was some secret character you needed to pay to unlock, you'd have to at least have the information for it somewhere on your disc in order to for you to fight against that character.

Not to mention, it probably makes it more convenient and easier to load. Though again, that blurs the line between what is "extra content", and what is "content that should have been there, but they're charging you more for"?

Because the developers feel they have gone the extra mile to create these new terrains, and wish to be compensated for it. Either that, or they just want more money.

5. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive

If it's a game I play a lot, I don't mind paying a little more money to get more enjoyment.

6. Seth

Seth Fame Had An IV

The only game i've payed for extra DLC is RE5, and thats because it was cheap and I really liked the first resident evil game, and I always wondered what jill and josh did when chris and sheva where on the mountain.

7. Nin10dO

Nin10dO Inactive

Well, my cousin wasted a lot of money getting and downloading from 360, I don't know much about it, but its not their fault I mean they are adding more to the game that they couldn't add in the first place its a good idea for them to get money. Its either buy the item get the extras, don't buy them, get nothing. :Y

8. ishmaelman4466

ishmaelman4466 Inactive

personally, i think it's fine. if someone doesn't like a game enough, they don't have to get the DLC, although i think that some of the DLC's should be free.

9. Forgottensoldier

Forgottensoldier Inactive

I'm not a big fan of paying for downloading content, but I do like it, because some of it is exclusive stuff that they couldn't fit on the disc. Some of them are there solely for the company to make money. Others are really cool, and interesting and worth it however.

10. Yukinari

Yukinari Keep up the Streak!

EA needs to stop with the stupid DLC these days and ill be happy.

11. Gino

Gino Inactive

I enjoy you get more bang for your buck! XD But some of them Dlc are just stupid..like the whole soul caliber darth vader-yoda dowload thing. I hated that..making us pay for characters that the game had but it was "blocked"...

12. Courage

Courage Inactive

Well, I don't really mind downloading things for X-Box 360 even if it has more charge than buying it at stores because I don't really like going to stores and wasting my time.