What are your thoughts on emulation?

Discussion in 'Classic gaming' started by Sykikal, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

Hello, as some of you are already aware, the large majority of Classic games can be played through use of an emulator. On a decent computer, PSP, Wii, and some other things I'm likely not aware about.

What are your thoughts on emulation of older games, do you ever play games through use of an emulator yourself?

2. Nack

Nack Inactive

Emulation is supported by me.

There are many games that don't deserve to be lost; think of all of the books lost in time?

In that respect I also support Abandonware. I wish people wouldn't use such things illegally, but I'm powerless there.

3. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

Eventually old games aren't going to work so it's nice to have your favorite games backed up as a ROM that can easily be played on an emulator. Then a moral issue comes in to play. Is it right to download copyrighted games? It doesn't really bother me that much if I own an original copy. Some games I've downloaded for PSP like FFVII: Crisis core, Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions and a few others actually made me want to buy the game. Square Enix games are pretty much the only reason I'll dig out my PSP and play it. Oops I'm getting off topic.

There are a lot of emulators that run very well on PSP. Pretty much everything up to PS1 runs well, with the exception of N64, but the new N64 emulator is in the works currently and should be released soon...It would be great to play Starfox on my PSP without lag.

I haven't really tried any Wii emulators since I don't have Twilight Princess. I'm really excited for the GP2X Wiz because it can emulate PS2 and possibly Gamecube, it's powerful enough.

Emulators are convenient too. Buy an Xbox 360 controller, plug it in to your computer and you're all set. Beats digging out your old consoles from boxes and searching for games.

So yeah in conclusion to everything I said: Emulation is win.

4. Seth

Seth Fame Had An IV

Agree with gmoz all thy way.

5. Super Smash Bros. Fan

Super Smash Bros. Fan My first forum...

I use emulation through my computer. So far, I have downloaded Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Deadly Tower (To see how horrible the game is), Mega Man: The Wily Wars, and Sonic CD. I do not plan to do emulation for any Virtual Console games thought, because I can download them for the Wii for only 500-1,200 Wii Points (Counting N64 imports on the Virtual Console (Ever heard of Sin & Punishment?)). It would be great to use emulation for the Wii, but you have to get The Legend of Zelda: Twlight Princess, and then Nintendo has offically stopped that kind of emulation. Sure, I might get the game, but I want to have fun with it, not use it for emulation. Also, if I keep getting on my computer, it'll lock up since it's activation period is over and I need to activate it now, but due to not having the right kind of product key card (I need one for Windows Vista Home Premium but only have one for Windows XP Home Edition), I'm not able to play the game that I use to emulate. Which brings me to a question.:

Why is it illegal to use emulation for pre-32 bit games that have not appeared on the Virtual Console if the government aren't going after us?

6. Sykikal

Because those games were registered to copyright, and copyright does not expire for 75 years after it was registered. Whether or not a game is available in stores is irrelevant to copyright status.

The government isn't going after you because it isn't feasible to actively enforce copyright law, unless a company has paid representives to seek out infringing work. Unless the company feels that there is a lot of profit to be lost, such as with a newly released movie, game, or song, or commercial software it makes no business sense to spend more money enforcing copyright than they'd be losing from sales.

7. Super Smash Bros. Fan

Super Smash Bros. Fan My first forum...

Makes sense. Anyway, do emulators on the Wii work without requiring Twlight Princess? If not, then nevermind.

8. Sykikal

It used to be that way, but from what I hear, there are alternatives now, such as the "Banner Bomb". However, I do not have experience with this, or any other methods of installing homebrew/emulators that do not involve use of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight princess. So I will be unable to assist you in using such methods.

9. shadowray7

shadowray7 Resident Maki Worshipper

I happen to have experience with hacking the wii.
    I've actually written up a guide on another site.
    I'll show you if you guys ask me.

Anyways onto the topic.
    My thoughts on emulation: I personally believe it's okay if you own the actual game. But despite my belief, I actually obtain ROMs the ONLY legal way.
    Backing up the games yourself.
    It's how I get DS & GBA roms and recently Wii isos.
    I even play some of my GBA games on my wii just for the novelty.

10. BPzeBanshee

BPzeBanshee Loading...

I support the use of adandonware and emulation, but frankly I'm a bit on the uncaring side when that line crosses and it becomes full-fledged piracy.
    That is purely based on my opinion of the motives of the modern game companies, which I can understand others for having a different view.
    Frankly, I think there'd be a lot less "pirates" in the emulation scene if there were active ways in local areas to obtain the said old stuff as well. The reason I started playing Emulators to begin with was because there was no way for us to find a working Megadrive or Nintendo 64 around my city and I wanted to be able to play my uncle's games again (my uncle and I often played his Megadrive games).

11. chervon

chervon Inactive

:0 to bad i can play them on there systems :lol:

12. WindowsXpHelp

WindowsXpHelp Inactive

I really like VBA (Visual boy advanced) on the PC because you can play any GBA Games for free. It is very high-awesome and really good!:woop:

13. BPzeBanshee

BPzeBanshee Loading...

If you like playing GBA games on the PC, I would recommend you get No$GBA to complement your VBA setup (Google is your friend.), it also emulates the Nintendo DS and runs better on older PCs.

14. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

Yeah that is true I guess...I was playing Mario Party DS on my old dinosaur dell back in the day

15. Makyura

Makyura Inactive

I love emulation and I have alot of old games on my psp too mostly how Gmoz uses his

16. Snow

Snow Dedicated Member

I like to play emulation.
    I believe you can download them off the Homwbrew channel and Wii Shop channel. I've played the "Pong" emulation, I can't win a single shot. :@

17. Slate

Slate Begin Your Adventure

Am I the only one who doesn't approve of using illegal methods to download and play copyrighted games?

It devalues the product when its made available far and wide at no cost.

18. BPzeBanshee

BPzeBanshee Loading...

Could you be more specific? You make it seem as if the emulators themselves are illegal, which they are not.

19. Slate

Slate Begin Your Adventure

I don't mean the emulators themselves are illegal, but downloading a ROM from the internet to play is. How many people do you know that know how to or bother to dump an N64/SNES ROM for their own private use?

Emulators encourage the use of illegal ROMs, not authentic games.

20. BPzeBanshee

BPzeBanshee Loading...

Ah, I understand where you're coming from now, and No, I do not not know anyone that has any knowledge of how to dump their legal copies of games. However, I also do not know any local area to ascertain such devices, otherwise I would use them if they copied each detail, including say, save files on my Pokemon Sapphire cartridge.

Thing is, emulators themselves are merely programs, and reading the readme of each program I guarantee will have some sort of disclaimer telling people that they do not hold any responsiblity for your own actions should you use this illegally. You really can't blame them.