Weekly podcast

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Sykikal, May 14, 2015.

1. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Like Lavitz or pointy would be talking and then you'd interrupt them and either keep talking or stop talking for a second to let them finish.

True, maybe I just don't care all that much about opinions unless they're more controversial. For example, no offense but I don't really care who likes the NX, the New 3DS, what they think about E3, tv shows or any of that stuff. Maybe I'd care a little more if it was about specific games or a company or parts of the industry. I don't care so much about consoles or events.

2. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

Oh, so you heard one of the other podcasts where I talked with pointy? I was under the impression you only heard the last one where I talked with Lavitz. Again, hard to know whether or not it was intentional without having something more specific than that.
    We have gone over Konami quite a lot in some of the previous podcasts and several other companies. We've gone over lots of games as well Hearthstone, Bloodborne, GTA 5, Project Cars Wii U, Destiny, etc. I suppose I do tend to focus more on consoles or events than I do specific games. I feel like with specific games it's harder to appeal to people because they might not play the game you happen to be talking about. Though I guess I could stand to focus on specific games a little more than I am. Maybe having a greater focus on a particular game or series of games could attract a more niche audience and I could go into more depth than some of the other people out there.

I don't want to base the whole podcast on just one person, but any specific company/game you had in mind? Can you give me more detailed examples about the type of stories that interest you?

3. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

I'll try to listen to one of the podcasts and give you some timestamps for examples

You are Video Game Info after all Kappa

Maybe talk about some more popular games or popular but underrated games, when Lavitz mentioned Cave Story I got excited but not much was said about it.

Maybe some popular triple A or indie games or a podcast dedicated to a specific genre where you talk about some games of that genre like (a)RPG's, JRPG's, FPS, Adventure, platformers, RTS, Hack and slash, simulators, early access games (shitty ones and good ones) or some good multiplayer/solo games, even good free games.

Companies, mostly ones that have been in the news like Konami for being shitty and making a Silent Hill pachinko machine instead of Silent Hills, Capcom for being awesome with their RE0 remake, their contests, their dev vlogs and their newest announcement of an official RE2 remake that gamers for years have been asking for. Capcom was suffering pretty badly and did or almost went bankrupt. This is exactly what they needed to do to get the fans on board again. That is IF they do it right but I have faith that they will since the RE1 remake was pretty damn good even though it was unneeded but hey, it got released on PC so I'm happy. If they could release RE0 and RE2 on steam I'd probably go straight for like 10 seconds. After that I pray they finish it up and make a remake of RE3 since it would be the only game missing from the remake lineup. but I digress.

4. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

This podcast wasn't planned beyond the 15 or so minutes before we started recording, and most of it was just talking about whatever came to mind until we ran out of time. We had a bunch of news stories but honestly it was all stuff neither of us were interested in talking about, so I'm not sure if that would have been any better. I didn't really treat it as a podcast, it was supposed to be just a practice recording since we haven't even talked to one another through voice chat in years.

What are some podcasts that became popular by just talking about news and being objective? You wouldn't get very far believing that nobody cares about your opinion unless you're already well known. I'm not really interested in podcasting or becoming popular so I probably won't be joining many, but I think Syk and Pointy have potential.

I don't know what else I could have said about Cave Story, I was only using it as an example. I could have talked about other games, but what's the point of bringing them up if Syk can't join the discussion? I also wanted to talk about MGS, but didn't because we would have ended up repeating stuff from a previous episode about Konami.

Let's be honest, that is never going to happen with me :kamiya:

5. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

I can imagine if you haven't talked for a while you'd be kinda "rusty" in doing something like a podcast, maybe you should have had like a 30 minute chat beforehand for practice :P You did pretty good though.

Numb is quite the talker, get him in there. Make it a threesome.

Thought you were to talk about it a little bit, Syk doesn't know the game though. I have the game but yet to play it, heard amazing things about it and I'm interested in anything about it. Just talking about the game or games, spoilers or not doesn't really matter to me though I know Syk doesn't like them.

Well Syk can bring you back on when/if he makes a JRPG's podcast :P

6. Pointy

Pointy (☞゚∀゚)☞ Staff Member

Jrpg podcast? I'm game.

7. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

There are countless places to get opinions. What sets yours apart from the rest?

Shadow likes this.
  8. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

While I agree, I think the concept here is that facts stay the same from place to place, opinions are all different. Being different is "interesting", constant equals boring. Though like I said I don't care much for others opinions unless it's a debate.

I think maybe if they told you more about the news at the start like if they're talking to people who don't know or haven't read anything about it, basic facts and then gave some opinion and then moved on.

Maybe stage an argument to keep my interest Kappa

9. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

I don't really 'care' about most peoples opinions but I still listen. I just find it interesting to listen to people talk and hear what they say. I don't really care about Amiibo in the slightest but it was sorta interesting to hear them talk about it. I stopped watching during the 5th episode because of their insufferable speaking habits though. I don't feel I'm losing out on anything. I have plenty of sources of opinions that I actually care about and countless things to watch to pass time.

Shadow likes this.
  10. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

Podcasts are just background noise to me while doing other stuff like grinding in a game, which might explain why it takes me so long to catch up on missed episodes. I didn't think people actually listened to them as their primary source of entertainment.

Shadow and vengvong like this.
  11. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

There's 1 that I listen to but outside of that, I don't even know any others.

12. Numb

Numb None of this matters

;););)

13. Sykikal

I appreciate your feedback Shadow. I think we're headed in the right direction. Pointy and I thought about playing a game so we could talk about it the next week. I think it was Transistor but we didn't get around to it. Maybe we could have a format or have more organized segments in addition to just talking about the news.

Part 1: News
    Part 2: Debate
    Part 3: We pick a game or genre and then play it for a week or two if we haven't already played it, then talk about it on the next podcast (it doesn't necessarily even have to be a new game.)

We do have some minor disagreements already but we don't normally spend a whole lot of time on it and we normally agree to disagree and move on. With something like politics, it'd be easy for me to hold a long debate over it because it's very divisive and there are a lot of advantages and disadvantages to bring up, but it's a little more difficult to do that in gaming. It seems like most gamers agree on a lot of policy related issues (excessive DRM is bad for gamers, region lock is bad, bugs are bad, censorship is bad). The only thing I can think off of hand that might make a good debate is the paid mods stuff since people actually tended to disagree on that. We considered bringing it in during the first episode of the podcast, but it seemed like it'd be outdated by the time we brought it in. I like debates but I don't know of it'd be easy to hold them as a regular thing.

Well, first off, are you willing to participate in more episodes Numb?

Shadow basically summed up my opinions on this, but yeah, if you're just reporting the facts there's not going to be anything new about it except maybe it being reworded, unless you actually have new original news like you discovered a new glitch or you work in the industry and have new information to reveal. Everybody has a different opinion though.

Yup, this is pretty much my outlook on podcasts. It's audio only so you can listen to it on the go or at the gym or while grinding in a game, etc. I don't think many people sit down for an hour for the sole purpose of listening to a podcast.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  14. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Speaking of hour, the podcast isn't long enough Kappa

15. Sykikal

How long do you think it should be?

16. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

I was joking but, hour and a half? I like playing games while listening to them so it sucks to have to alt tab every 9 minutes with other podcasts to go to the next one

17. Sykikal

Glad to hear that you're listening to more of them. :y2:

I'm pretty sure iTunes lets you autoplay them. I'm sure there's some way of doing it through the site without iTunes I just haven't looked into how to do it yet. Maybe I'll add that in later on.

18. Sykikal

19. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Eager to listen to this

Also this might be a time where you'd want to implore Lavitz to make a banner/icon/avatar for VGI, something we can use consistently so people know what VGI is

20. Sykikal

New podcast is up. This one is a bit longer. Close to the hour and a half mark, partly to make up for not having one last wek: http://www.videogameinfo.net/podcast/episode-9/. Again, we tried to put in a few more stories. Even though we discuss MGSV there's not much in terms of spoilers.

What'd you have in mind? Lavitz doesn't seem to be willing to do it. I suppose I could use one of the old banners. http://www.videogameinfo.net/link-to-us