Weekly podcast

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Sykikal, May 14, 2015.

1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

I was thinking of doing a weekly video game/tech oriented podcast. It'd probably be for an hour. I already discussed this with Numb. We'd probably start off by giving the facts or some relevant video game story, then giving our opinion on it, then responding to others opinions on it. I'm looking for others to help as well. You don't need to be an expert, you just need to have a decent microphone and be willing to come on consistently. Most people I try to get involved with this keep get busy with other issues and can't always find time to make it. If you're unsure of your schedule and are interested in joining I might be able to work it in as a one time/guest thing. Just let me know about your schedule and I'll try to work it out.

I'd also like to know how you all feel about it. Would you be interested in listening? Do you have any suggestions on how to make it an entertaining show?

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  2. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

I thought you didn't have time for this stuff anymore

3. Sykikal

I don't know for certain that I will right now but hopefully I will soon. I want to see if people are interested in it first. if I am able to get 3 or more people involved having some without me might be a possibility. I am just trying to find out if it is something people would be interested in or if there are people willing to get involved.

4. Pointy

Pointy (☞゚∀゚)☞ Staff Member

I'm interested, I'm still busy a lot but if it's recorded in the evening I can give it a shot. A good idea is if your going to host a podcast come up with a list of relate to topics and send links to the participants so we can be on the same level.

5. Sykikal

I haven't really come up with a formal list though off the top of my head:
    • Paid mods (Is it beneficial to the industry? Harmful? Why or not not?)
    • The phasing out of the 7th gen consoles (eg. Ubisoft no longer supporting them)
    • Nintendo's upcoming "NX" console and speculation about the future of the consoles
    • The trend of developers using Kickstarter to bypass publishers (Megaman, Castlevania,Banjo Kazooie)

I'm open to suggestions. For this to workout we'd probably want to workout a topic in advance and spend 15-30 minutes or so briefing each other on our talking points and doing research so we'd be able to hold a conversation about the topic.

6. Pointy

I think a better idea is for us not to discuss the topic before hand (cause that's what our content will be), but so we can have a similar level of understanding you as host should find a few links for participants to read before coming on and talking.

For each topic just find two links of interest, and expect anywhere between 4 to 20 minutes on content from each (some will be hit or miss especially if we all agree on the issue).

It's going to be pretty boring if we're just telling others about our research into the topic so try to have opinions and other things that would result in humor or enjoyment.

I will admit I'm partial to roosterteeth's style of podcast so I tend to find more enjoyment in comedy then just news and information, but knowing what type of theme the podcast will follow is something the host should decide before starting.

Shadow likes this.
  7. Sykikal

The two links could work too, it's just awkward if there's a particular game or publisher or news article and one person isn't up to date with the story. It'd be awkward if we had to pause to do research during the show. Maybe we could brief each other though during the show (which would also have the benefit of briefing the audience). As long as we each understand what's going on it should be fine.

I kind of think it's better if we don't agree on the issue, but it's okay if we do.

Research/facts are just the first part. I feel like I can't just start with "Valve should really pay mod makers more." or something, My plan was that we give people the backstory of what happened, might just take a few minutes, then we get into our opinions, which will be the majority of the show. I agree comedy is important, I just don't think I'm very good at it :y7:. Maybe you can help or do most of the comedy related stuff yourself

8. Pointy

http://roosterteeth.com/gamepodcast/

Here's a good example of the kind of podcast I'm thinking of, there is information provided that the others may not know, but it's up to the participant to explain what the information is and why it's important to the subject (remember anyone listening to the podcast won't be able to research on the fly either.

We should stay away from research into finer details, or if say I brought up the point that all mods had a 75-25 split its fine if the other participants didn't know this as because we're going to have to break it down for the listeners anyway.

9. Sykikal

I listened to the first one about Xbox One and E3. I think I have a general idea of what you mean and I mostly agree with your suggestion for the format. So what's a good time for you to do this? I'm busy during the evening on Tuesday (Go), Friday (Tennis), and Saturday (game night), and occasionally Sunday (but I get back around 7-8PM PST), but any other evening like Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Sunday/Saturday morning are pretty wide open for me. If there's a time that works really well for you and isn't currently open for me just mention it anyway and I'll let you know if I can change my schedule around a bit. Doesn't have a commitment, just a general idea of when you'd be available/want to do this and we'll work from there.

10. Lavitz

The subject isn't the most important thing since every other video game podcast will probably be talking about the same thing. Personality is much more important if you want people to keep listening, that's what makes a podcast unique. You should start a podcast with someone you can easily have an interesting conversation with for an hour or longer. I enjoy a podcast more if the whole thing goes on without any cuts or periods of silence because it flows better, and often times one topic leads to another topic until you run out of things to talk about.

If you have time constraints, it's important to plan out how you'll spend your time so you don't end up talking about one thing for 50 minutes then realize you only have 10 minutes to talk about everything else you planned on bringing up. If you feel like you're spending too much time on one subject or you start repeating yourselves and boring the audience, try to change the subject or bring up something related to it while staying on topic.

Joke around, don't be afraid to have different opinions, argue if you want to as long as it doesn't get out of hand. You should do a podcast with someone who at least shares similar interests with you when it comes to games, you need something in common to talk about and a one sided conversation is really boring. Check your facts and don't be afraid to correct someone for giving false info, there's nothing I hate more than a podcast that gives incorrect info and never correct themselves or call out the person giving the info, you should know what you're talking about.

Don't use old info as the main topic for your podcast, people want to hear about current events. I think talking about paid mods will be like beating a dead horse at this point, it's already been removed from Steam and people have stopped talking about it already. Phasing out previous generation consoles is something that happens every generation, so that's nothing new either. You want to stay up to date with everything happening in the gaming industry.

Most important thing is have fun, a podcast isn't a job and you shouldn't treat it like one. If it starts feeling like work, take a break from it until you feel like doing it again.

Shadow and Sykikal like this.
  11. Sykikal

It's over a year after I left that message on your profile but thanks, I knew you had good advice.:P I'm still learning the ropes and I find this all very helpful so if you have any other suggestions let me know.

Yup, good point, it's easier to change subject than personality though, but I feel like personalities will just naturally adjust over time. I think when I look at my more recent streams/videos it's a bit different from my older ones (eg. OoT, Stadium). I feel like I come across as a bit dry and I'm not as good at comedy related stuff but I'm working on it and I feel like I've made some progress on it compared with my older content.

True, that's a good point. It's hard to know in advance sometimes how long we'll be spending on any one topic, but I feel like if it has gotten to the point where we can easily spend 50 minutes on a particular topic it's not the worst problem to have. I'd much rather have a co-host who is too talkative than not talkative enough. We just need to have a good idea for a transition.

Yeah, it's hard sometimes. I'm a little worried about a disconnect between me and pointy because he's more into JRPG and I'm more into Nintendo stuff while he isn't. With Numb that worry is a bit bigger because he's mostly just into League of Legends, Smash Bros. and a few other games. Yeah, checking facts is important too. Though I'm hoping if we both do a little research on our topics beforehand it'll correct both those problems. I realize doing a bit of research on a game isn't the same as talking to someone who is really into a game or series and has invested hundreds of hours into it. So I'm worried it won't be perfect but I think it should be workable.

Yeah, you're right. It was newer when I mentioned it but I had to wait for pointy to get back from vacation and I was a bit busy at the time as well. I thought the paid mods would still be interesting from an ethical standpoint but the topic is probably well past its heyday. What about the other topics I mentioned like the Kickstarter? If you have any other topic suggestions I'm open, but I know I'll have to do research and see what the current topics are on a regular basis and that it's changing all the time.

Yup, I agree, I'm really looking forward to doing this. I feel like it's fun to talk about this stuff and I feel like we have a lot of good conversations in VGI or on voice chat in GTA 5 so I might as well try to make a podcast out of it. Hopefully pointy agrees.

12. Shiny Ablico

Shiny Ablico Protector of the People

I am home on weekends, I might not be able to every week consecutively but I would love to be on most of the time. VGI regular

13. Sykikal

Cool, what time are you on and do you have any suggestions for the format?

14. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

I usually have an opinion on stuff and can see both sides of an argument, it's just the actual verbal talking that is my issue.

15. Sykikal

I think it's just a matter of practice. I am still not the most articulate person but I think I can hold a conversation now a lot better than I could a few years ago.

You're going to have to talk and articulate stuff and get all that knowledge that is in your head out there at some point if you want to maintain friendships or go on job interviews. I know I'm biased in suggesting this to you, but I think doing something like this could benefit you too. I can always edit it later. So if there's a part that bothers you or you don't feel you expressed correctly I could edit it out. I could even delete the whole thing if you didn't like how it turned out. I have heard of some podcasts that didn't air their first few tries and just had them as practice runs.

Like I said in the opening posts, I'm not a professional/expert and don't expect to be working with experts. As long as you have an hour or two of freetime, you have someway to talk (Skype, Phone), and you're willing to do it, I can work with that.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  16. Sykikal

17. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

I'll be editing as I listen.
    Sykikal's Mic sounds scratchy as hell.
    Other guy sounds much clearer. Sykikal stutters more than him. Sykikal sounds unsure of what he's trying to say or how to say it.
    4:49 - 4:50 Not Sykikal makes a loud hissing noise. That was like nails on a chalkboard. Does it again around 5:00
    Posted June 4th? What timezone is it posted from?
    Sykikal says 'Like' too much.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  18. Sykikal

Looks like it's a Skype issue. It sounds fine when I just record audio on another program like audacity.I just need to find a good program that'll let me record. Teamspeak crossed my mind but it looks like you have to pay to use it. Oovoo might be a possibility, it just got really annoying on my old computer.

I think we got off to a rocky start but it gets better after that.
    That's pointy by the way. Yeah, happens occasionally, maybe he can work on it.
    Bad habit, I'll try to work on it.

Maybe I'm overthinking of it but I'm still trying to come up with an intro theme. I was going through this thread http://www.videogameinfo.net/forums/threads/6-cool-game-ost-songs.5133/ for ideas. Lavitz suggested using a remix. For the songs I posted Hell's March and Corneria were the only ones that came up on that osremix site he mentioned, and I didn't like them all that much. Tempted to just take a 5 second OST without bothering with a remix but I'm worried about getting docked for copyright. The ducktails one that shadowray7 posted seems pretty good. It's upbeat and not too dramatic.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  19. Lavitz

I could help you with an intro, could you record an introduction for the podcast and send it to me? Something short like "You're listening to the VGI podcast, a podcast about video games and everything happening in the gaming world. I'm your host Sykikal from videogameinfo.net, so let's get right into it". Feel free to use that, change it or make something up yourself. Put on your radio voice and sound enthusiastic, record a few takes as well so I can pick the best one.

I was thinking the format could be something like: introduction, music clip, introduce/greet your guest

Sykikal and CROWley like this.
  20. Sykikal

Sure, that'd be great, I'll try to get something recorded today and I'll send it over to you.