VGI moved servers

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Sykikal, May 11, 2016.

1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

This announcement comes a few days late but I felt I should wait until server was fully moved and we weren't in intermittent server dimensional limbo. I had some issues with my previous hosting company (Hostgator) in terms of uptime/speed, and they also decided to raise the price so I've moved hosts. I was previously on a shared hosting plan and now I'm on a VPS/SSD. Simple way to say it is that it should be faster than before and help get rid of those annoying errors (hopefully). If any of you are still getting errors or having trouble getting the site to load let me know, thanks.

2. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

I noticed some emotes are broken, but everything else seems fine.

3. Sykikal

Thanks, I noticed that too just haven't gotten around to fixing it. When veng put up some of the smlieys (and not his fault, they worked before on the old host and I didn't mention anything about this) it looks like he put them on with no extension http://www.videogameinfo.net/vgi/VGIBucket/smilies/veng/Nico Yazawa . My old host recognized that these are images and rendered them as such, new host doesn't by default. It's probably easy to fix, although from a convention so we know what type of image file we're using (and I hate the term because I feel like it's misused, but "OCD") standpoint I sort of feel they should have an extension.

4. ATPrime

ATPrime Junior Gamer

i seem to still be receiving VGI emails in my spam folder, rather than my inbox.

also, apparently post-migration VGI emails say that they haven't been encrypted, when older VGI emails were encrypted.

5. Numb

Numb None of this matters

The VGI servers are excellent again! Woohoo!

[​IMG]

6. Sykikal

Thanks for letting me know. To be honest, I don't know much about mass emails. I don't know if it could have anything to do with the admin email not having anything to do with videogameinfo.net . In theory, I could make my email look like any domain eg. (Obama@whitehouse.gov) but I have no real verification server wise to prove that it's me. I guess it's something I should look into though. I'll get to it eventually, hopefully in the next two weeks or so.

7. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

So in theory, you could email me fake emails that look like it's coming from my school? :whistle:

8. Sykikal

Yeah but it'd probably show up in spam or have the warnings about scams or stuff so people might not buy it.

9. Shiny Ablico

Shiny Ablico Protector of the People

No, it would most likely be a postmaster address as the domain is probably using SPF records to stop this sort of thing. What Sykikal is describing is similar to domain spoofing but done by accident/ automatically.

10. Sykikal

Yeah, pretty much. Thanks for clarifying.

Shiny Ablico likes this.