Topic re-ordering

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Sykikal, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

Hello, I thought I should give some notice that I intend to change the topic list in the near future.

Why bother right? If it aint broke don't fix it?

I feel that gaming, being the focus of the site, is too low on the topic list. Which may contribute to the low amount of posts in those sections.

Additionally, I feel site feedback, questions and assistance, welcome to VGI, and xat are too high on the list.

There are some good reasons why they are that high though.

Like announcements, xat, site feedback, and questions and assistance are directly related to the site, so keeping them in the same section seems to make sense.

Xat was mostly intended for the VGI chatbox, and I feel it has strayed from that, however the thread has a lot of popularity. (On the otherhand, maybe this could be a counterargument, that since it is already popular, it doesn't need the top slot).

Questions and assistance seems useful to keep high, because it should be easily visible to new users.

Welcome to VGI isn't completely site related, but it is popular, and easily visible for new users.

Reviews are gaming related, and in a way site related so they'll probably stay.

General Discussion I'm unsure about, but it will probably stay.

Announcements will always be on top.

Besides that, discuss possible changes to the topic list, and don't get surprised or think the topic vanished if they suddenly change location one day.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. Nin10dO

Nin10dO Inactive

I think this will boost up the amount video games are talked about. Also its best if you did some advertisements.

3. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

how do you expect people to talk about videogames if there are more topics not related to them, when i join a forums i dont ever sift through the welcome to the forums or info topic's i go to new posts, sometimes i look through the forums when there isnt much to talk about. as for specific games there arent nearly enough topics in that section, add sections for certain consoles and teh game exclusives, make a section for new release info and pre-order bonuses, the games sections should all be bigger than the xat one.

4. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

xat section needs to be removed, it has no place here. Simply hiding it from me doesn't change the fact that it's there.

5. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

i agree its a completely useless topic, deleting it would make a lot of usless peopel leave teh forus, why should the forums be a xat information site? it's just a stupid chat site that does'nt have a purpose on a videogame forums because it has notheing to do with videogames, what makes it so special when youtube isnt featured but people use it on the chat and soemtimes forums.

6. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

The topic is just there because people make threads about xat. If people made dozens of threads about knitting, I'd probably have a knitting topic somewhere.

Why should it matter what people want to talk about if you can't see it? What would the site gain by getting rid of the xat section?

By using the topics that are already there. Since they pretty much encompass every game in some form or another.

I can't control what people post, but I feel I can influence it by moving the topics up. That's the point of this.

There aren't many games in that section because not many games have a large enough fan base to warrant it. Having 20 Specific Game topics that only had 2-3 threads each would be very cluttered.

There already are sections for certain consoles and game exclusives. A pre-order bonuses section? I don't know if that would have enough threads. I've seen maybe 1-2 threads ever about pre-order bonuses.

I can only control where the sections are. I can't control how much people post in it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  7. Obsiviction

Obsiviction Inactive

Complaints

Though I think video game discussion is a vital part of VGI, I think discussion of Xat should also be allowed, considering it's one of the most popular topics.

8. Lavitz

That's the problem. Remove it and hopefully people will post in other topics about video games.

9. Obsiviction

Obsiviction Inactive

Good Point...But in contrast; What if removing it removed activity?

10. Tasha

Tasha Inactive

I recall reading an old thread (don't remember what the name of it was) about Xat being the main topic of the chat being a major problem, and people should start talking about video games and playing with each other more often. Shouldn't the forum reflect that? If they wanted to talk about Xat, they could go to another site, not come here and make useless threads about stuff no one except themselves care about. This is a Gaming forum, and I don't think that Xat belongs here. I agree with Lavitz on this one; although I'm sure there is a reason for keeping the Xat section. I just don't know what the reason is.

EDIT: Never mind, I found the thread I was talking about. "Gone to far." I thought it had a good point, and it's somewhat relevant to this topic I suppose, being that Xat shouldn't be a topic at all. It points out a good rule too.

"Rule 18: Limit all xat discussion to normal conversations when xat would be brought up. This includes mentioning of selling, buying, worth, how much profit you have, how many powers you have (BASICALLY ALL XAT CONVERSATIONS THAT AREN'T NECESSARY). If you bring up anything above and it doesn't relate to VGI you will be kicked then banned. There will be times when xat discussion will be allowed, for example: 'Wow! I really like what you did with your nameglow!' or 'That's a really cool animated avatar!'."

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  11. Lavitz

Sadly, it isn't a real rule. Just an idea.

12. Tasha

Tasha Inactive

Ohh daaaarn. I guess I must have mis-read that. I feel like an idiot now. But alas, it totally should be a rule. D:

13. Shadow 2

Shadow 2 Inactive

Well, I think Xat should be removed and put it into the chat forum(tab) because it is a thread about chatting and new things that doesn't include VGI(Video Game Info)

Or putting Xat thread into Misc. or Question Or Assistance is maybe an another good idea because people need questions(if need shortly messages(chatting)) about things of VGI.

Regards.