Top 10 games that should be on the Virtual Console

Discussion in 'Classic gaming' started by Super Smash Bros. Fan, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Super Smash Bros. Fan

Super Smash Bros. Fan My first forum...

Virtual Console has not been in a good situation lately. Sure we got Super Mario Bros. and Sonic the Hedgehog. We also have Donkey Kong Jr. Math and Alex Kidd: The Lost Star. We been tampered with worthless updates for too long. When Nintendo of America grows a heart, stop neglecting the Virtual Console of it's potential, and of course-a brain, I hope they get these great games onto the Virtual Console service.

10. Megaman: The Wily Wars (Sega Genesis)

[​IMG]

The sole Megaman game for the Sega Genesis, this game arrived to Japan and Europe in cartige form. But North America only got it for the Sega Channel. Sadly, when the Sega Channel was dismissed, gamer in North America would not get a second chance to play this gem, including me. Genesis fans who didn't own a NES or SNES at that time had to accept the fact that they will never play a Megaman game on the Sega Genesis.

Luckily, thanks to Nintendo excellent choice, we can now experience 285 Virtual Console games that would otherwise force players to pay $200 just to get M.U.S.H.A. off Ebay for the Sega Genesis, now they can get it for just 800 Wii Points. This is a special bargin that Nintendo, Sega, and Capcom needs to get out, because how are North American going to get this game, other then illegal ROM download? This should be a easy solution. Just emulate the game on the Virtual Console for people to enjoy and you're good to go!

The reason I want this is not because North American didn't get a real chance to play this great game, but because you can play Megaman, Megaman 2, and Megaman 3 all in one game, with the addition of Wily Tower you unlock after completing three games. Also the visual are much better then the NES version, that's for sure! And the music is more advance and sound even better then the orginal NES version. They also have a save file, to make the game much easier and less frustration. Because I never owned a Genesis until a month and a half ago, they really need to get this game out of the way! It will surely please Megaman fans like me.

9. Chrono Trigger (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)
    [​IMG]

A classic that should defindently be on the Virtual Console. Released in 1995, in the middle of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System lifespan, it is one of the SNES most beloved games, it sold 2 million copies on the orginal version alone! That's a lot for it's time and the SNES had a heck of sales buster, especially the now available on the Virtual Console Super Mario World. This game was universally acclaimed and got about a 95% from Game Ranking, and is the third-best received SNES games available in North America. Althought there is a remake for the Nintendo DS, I do not show intrest in it, due to not staying true to the original. Sure it's also universally acclaimed, but I'm not fooled. Beside, I rather that Square Enix get this release on the Virtual Console for 800 Wii Points. I may want a taste of the Final Fanasty 2 (4) remake for the Nintendo DS, but this game is dying for a release on the Virtual Console. Square Enix needs to give better support to the Virtual Console, Secret of Mana and Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen for the SNES are far from enough!

After checking the Virtual Console and finding out that it's just another medicoric update, let's roll on from yesterday!

8. Goldeneye 007 (Nintendo 64)
    [​IMG]

An revolutionary shooter for it's time, Goldeneye 007 for the Nintendo 64 is one of the most famous and universally acclaimed license games of all time. Most license games, especially today sucks, but this is the work of Rare, so people were confident about it. The result was one of the most critically acclaimed Nintendo 64 game of all time, just slight behind The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time in first and it's sequel, Perfect Darkness in second place. It sold eight million copies and has a lot of history behind it. Despite terrible aging (According to many people), it most certantly deserve a Virtual Console release.

Unfortunely, the game has two major problems that could keep it from release on the Virtual Console and is under some of the worst licensing trouble of all the unreleased game.

1. A license title. This game repersent the James Bond movie, Goldeneye in 1995, which is a series of movies of the James Bond series, most recently being Quantom of Solace. Because it's a license game, it cost an extra 100 Wii Points then normal non-license video game on the Virtual Console (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the Nintendo Entertainment System cost 600 Wii Points, as opposed to just 500 Wii Points), and companies refuse to do that, because license games qualities are often much worse then non-licensed game.

2. Rare-made title. Any game made by Rare except Donkey Kong games means it's off limit and that shouldn't be the case! SNES and especially N64 games were made Nintendo games developed by Rare. Sadly, since Rare is on the Microsoft console, it shoot a bullet throught a possability of a Virtual Console release. Only Donkey Kong 64 has a good possability of a Virtual Console release.

But not all hope is lost. Unlike most of the series by Rare, the Donkey Kong and James Bond franchise manage to avoid going to Microsoft, with Donkey Kong remaining a Nintendo franchise. But James Bond goes third-party and goes to Activision, a big supporter of the Wii. Sure, the James Bond franchise has been for the Sony and Microsoft console, but it also been available for the Nintendo Gamecube and Nintendo Wii. And if Activision show there Virtual Console support (Please put your support on the Virtual Console Activision! You'll help a great franchise on the Virtual Console!), this will increase the possability of a Virtual Console release, so this is possible.

Now to the good stuff. It follow the storyline of Goldeneye (The movie) and I say again, a revolution. It also contain a classic four-player match and a realistic graphic for it's time (Yes it aged), so this game has to get a Virtual Console release, even if we have to pay 1400 Wii Points just to see it release!

7. Donkey Kong 64 (Nintendo 64)
    [​IMG]

Memories are meant to be revisited. Donkey Kong 64 for the Nintendo 64 was a wonderful game made by Rare. Not only that, it was universally acclaimed. Shame that my Nintendo 64 is gone (Video Game Critics can report on that). It makes me sad. Rare always made the best N64 games, unless you count Nintendo of course and this is no exception to that "Rare games for the N64 are meant to be great" rule. There is a deep plot and you can control five characters, which you have to free four in order to play them. Each has a different ability. What made me keep coming back to it until the day my N64 was dead, I can't explain but Rare, if your listening, if you can get one game for the N64 on the Virtual Console made by you, make it this one. An engrossing story mode with mutiplayer on the side makes a winner. There shouldn't be a problem with putting games with Expansion Pack on the Virtual Console. Not only that, the Donkey Kong franchise is owned by Nintendo. Ignore Microsoft order not to release any N64 Rare games by them and I'll be pleased with Rare efforts to put games on the Virtual Console. MICROSOFT WILL RUIN THE N64 LEGACY IF RARE DOESN'T PUT THERE GAMES ON THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE!

6. Sonic and Knuckles (Sega Genesis)
    [​IMG]

Before Sega went third-party, before Sonic went downhill, Sonic the Hedgehog was one of the most legendary video game character of at that time. He spawn some of the biggest Sega Genesis hits and his games (At least mainsterm) was universallly acclaimed. Now we can enjoy Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 on the Virtual Console. But we still haven't gotten Sonic and Knuckles yet. Luckily, we should expect a release, due to having a ESRB raing right now, so hopefully, it should come soon.

Sonic and Knuckles let's you control Sonic and one of the antangonist of Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Knuckles, who replace Tails as the main playable character. Sonic has the gift of speed, while Knuckles can glide through the air with greater ease. They also have certain different level, which makes expand the gameplay, despite lack of a save file. The best thing about the game is that when you put Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic and Knuckles together, you create the ultimate Sonic game, called Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It combine the features of both games and as a result, is called by many Sonic fan to be the greatest Sonic game ever. This was orginally going to be a full game, but due to time constriction, Sega had to split up both games. They made it up with the lock-on chips, something we never seen before, well yes we have, but they were illegal (Remember the AVGN review on the Bible games?). That meant that most games before Sonic and Knuckles release were capable with this unique lock-on chip, but strangely, none after Sonic and Knuckles was. Even if we never see Sonic 3 & Knuckles, as long Sonic & Knuckles is release on the Virtual Console, no doubt that Sega would have succeed in bringing all there Sonic masterpiece onto the Virtual Console (If you don't cound Sonic CD). One of the few Genesis game I care about getting release, if we get Megaman: The Wily Wars, Pulseman, Mortal Kombat for the Sega Genesis, and Sonic and Knuckles on the Virtual Console, Sega would have all of my Genesis Virtual Console wishlist finish, because they have too many unecessary games on the Virtual Console service.

5. Megaman X (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)
    [​IMG]

When Megaman fans asked for a more mature series then the original series, Capcom delievers with Megaman X, release at the very end of 1993 and received very positive reviews. I only had for a few months, then my grandmother sold it, due to so-called control issue, which was wrong (Darn you, turbo controller!). I would very much apperatice it's release. It has a completely orginal plot, and a slighty more mature theme to it. Also note that there is no more Man at the end of each Robot Master, but they are named after an animal (Except Boomer Kuwanger, and that's why he is on the Game Informers Top 10 worst names). The game diffculties that many Megaman players were forced to put up with was decreased so you can actually beat the game! It's also easier to beat Robot Masters, because you can jump on walls, a nice addition to the Megaman series. Overall, this is a great game and I would like to go back to memory lane and play it all over again only this time BEAT IT!!!!!!! BEAT IT!!!!!!! (Okay, Micheal Jackson song "Beat it" is awesome!)

4. Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo 64)
    [​IMG]

A completly original fighting game, made by the Kirby creator, Masahiro Sakuri. Unlike other fighting games, where you run there opponents HP out, you knocked the player out of the stage, whenever up, down, or sidway, the obvious choice . You could play with three friends at your side, and you didn't have to play in tag team to do that. The secret that made this game a blast was what I explained. Another thing that made this game unique is that you used characters from other Nintendo series. It also has a single player mode of course! You have what is now called Classic Mode, where you play with a set group of opponent and you achieve a certain goal to unlock a stage or the four secret characters. The game got positive review and is release in Japan, so we should be seeing this classic very soon! I like to thank Sakuri for creating this game, let's hope we see it soon as it should be my fifth N64 downloaded Virtual Console game.

3. Earthbound (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)
    [​IMG]

Obviously, it's in my Top 10 wishlist, especially since it's the most request game to be on the Virtual Console. Don't let the visual turn you away, it's a classic! One of the most underapperaticed game of all time, Virtual Console will bring this game back from the abyss of the unknown. It has a strong cult following and for a reason. Althought the reviews are positive now, when released, it was met with lurkwarm review when it was orginally released in the United State. Not only that, it also sold very poorly, compared to other Nintendo classic such as Donkey Kong Country (Earthbound only sold slightly more then 100,000 copies in total). Even worse, like Goldeneye 007 (With a small glitter of hope), Chrono Trigger, and maybe even Donkey Kong 64, this game has a roadblock to it's Virtual Console, but unlike those three, for the worst reason possible:

Lawyers complain about the music being "similar" to the musics in real life. HOW IN THE WORLD DO THEY COMPLAIN ABOUT THAT? Oh I know why! They are Microsoft fanboys who are jelous of the Nintendo Wii having good games and offering the Virtual Console, exclusively to Wii owners, so they decided to sue Nintendo of America on the Earthbound music to convince people to sell there Wii and buy a Microsoft 360. That's my reason! They should be fired for that prank! I hate Microsoft being in the video game business, because it takes away from Nintendo fans.

Anyway, the point is that there should be absolutly no reason why this game shouldn't be on the Virtual Console. The reason why it has such a cult is that it has a original story with cast you wouldn't expect back in 1995. You can eat pizza to regain health (My favortie food!) and call Ness's dad to save your game. The game is diffcult and long, but not to the point of overdoing it. Sure, it may not have the best graphic, but they look beatiful. All this and so much more are the reason why we need these great games on the Virtual Console. We have almost all the Zelda games on the Virtual Console possible, now it's Ness turn to experience the wonder of the Virtual Console.

2. Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo 64)
    [​IMG]

Rare games should be on the Virtual Console. However, they can't because Microsoft has Rare now.

But I'm still holding out hope, because this is a Nintendo title and it should stay that way. A universally acclaimed video game, this game stand up to the test of time and I'm ready to get this game out and playing. Like I said again, I don't have a N64, so I'm devastated that were denied access to Rare games. But there are good reason why this game has to come. It has to.

I only had this game for a few month, but first off, the music a superb. Secondly, I loved this game to death. And third, it has a 92 from Metacritics, which means it's universally acclaimed. Waiting and waiting probably won't be enough. If Rare can get this game out, I'll ask for no more Rare games, because it's highly anticapated and Nintendo's Virtual Console can open up doors for classic games that would otherwise be diffcult to get.

But that's not my most anticapated game. Many of you will probably laugh at my number one choice, especially since it's mixed review. I wanted this game from the day I heard of it. It's.........

MEGAMAN 7 (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)
    [​IMG]

My very most requested video game to be on the Virtual Console, it's is something I would do any legal way just to play it. I would do anything! That's right-anything. No matter how many people hate this game, it won't change my mind. I will wait until the day I die to play this game.

The music is one of the best soundtracks you'll ever, ever hear in a video game. Even with weak sound effect, that doesn't bother me. The ambition of the game getting release excite me. And the graphic and so beatiful in 2D. Capcom manage to pull this game and succeed when no one else believed it. Capcom and Nintnedo, please listen to me, just please. If you can get this game on the Virtual Console, I will download this game in a heartbeat. There is so much I can say, yet it's too much to say.

Many great games like Sonic CD, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time, and Bomberman 94' needs a Virtual Console release, but Nintendo of America denides it. If we can join forces and get Nintendo of America to listen to our fans, we can have the Virtual Console we envision.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  2. Seth

Seth Fame Had An IV

You and the virtual console. Just stop.

Pokemon Stadium 1.
    Pokemon Stadium 2.
    LoZ: MM
    SSB.
    Mother.
    Hey! You Pikachu.
    The Three Mortal Kombat games.

3. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

Lol Akira Toriyama only did the game's artwork.

4. Super Smash Bros. Fan

It's all done people. Well, finally it is.

5. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

Rare will not go back to Nintendo, stop whining.

6. Seth

Seth Fame Had An IV

Agreed with Gmoz.

7. Super Smash Bros. Fan

At least they should get Donkey Kong 64 out on the Virtual Console. If they can get the Donkey Kong Country series in, then this shouldn't be a problem.

8. Schlatter

Schlatter Inactive

[​IMG]

WORMS!!!

9. Super Smash Bros. Fan

I think I remember playing this game, just that I didn't remember the name. If it is, then it's in my wishlist for a Virtual Console release. We do need third-party support!

10. ShadowToon

ShadowToon Inactive

Hey.......

You forgot Army's Men and few others games .....

11. Super Smash Bros. Fan

Sorry, but I'm doing my personal Top 10 wishlist and Army's Men got negitive reviews.

You can post your own if you wish (I recommend doing so).

12. Schlatter

Schlatter Inactive

^ Maybe try out that game before discarding it as a possible decision.

13. Super Smash Bros. Fan

There are a few good Army Men games, so I'm intrested.

14. shadowray7

shadowray7 Resident Maki Worshipper

10. Megaman: The Wily Wars (Sega Genesis)

Nintendo's smart. If MM1, 2, & 3 are already on the VC, they're not gonna let this one on so that they can have more money

9. Chrono Trigger (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)

It's on the DS. Square Enix won't let this happen because Square also likes money.

8. Goldeneye 007 (Nintendo 64)

You already mentioned two reasons. I can think of a couple more reason

3. Activision has the rights to the James Bond (Video Game) series

4. Nintendo of America and Microsoft both want Goldeneye on their services.

7. Donkey Kong 64 (Nintendo 64)

This one actually has a pretty good chance. Since all the other DK games made by rare made it to the VC

6. Sonic and Knuckles (Sega Genesis)

Already confirmed to be coming to the VC: http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2008/03/11/sonic-and-knuckles-to-glide-to-virtual-console/
    The only problem is implementing the lock on technolgy with Sonic 3 & Sonic 2

5. Megaman X (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)

I actually don't have anything good or bad about this one.

4. Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo 64)

It's already out in Europe and Japan. It'll eventually come out in the states... some day...

3. Earthbound (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)

Yep pretty much and hey what's this...
    ....What? Take a chill pill man. I didn't like Microsoft getting themselves included the video game busniess either, but at least I gave them a chance. And not to mention they did well with their chance.

2. Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo 64)

End of discussion it's already out on XBL Arcade

1. MEGAMAN 7 (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)

Meh I don't care

15. FaTaLiT33

FaTaLiT33 Inactive

Yeah agreed, but seriously some nice list by Gmoz.

16. Runner

Runner Inactive

i still have banjo kazooie somewhere in my house