SYBER Takes Pre-Orders for Long-Awaited Steam Machines

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Shiny Ablico, Jun 4, 2015.

• by Shiny Ablico, Jun 4, 2015 at 5:47 PM
  • Shiny Ablico

Shiny Ablico Protector of the People

steam machine.jpg SYBER, a new division of CyberPowerPC, today announced it is taking pre-orders for its new Steam Machines series, which offer the ultimate in PC Console solutions to bring the PC gaming experience to the living room. There are three models with a starting price of $499, all of which can be configured with a number of hardware options, including high-performance CPUs, graphics cards, gaming memory, solid state drives, graphics cards, and other gaming peripherals.

The specs for these machines are as follows:

Syber Steam Machine - I
    Intel Core i3-4160
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 1GB
    4GB RAM
    AsRock H81m WiFi Motherboard
    500GB 7200RPM 2.5" HDD
    250W SFX Power Supply
    Syber Gaming Chassis Black or White Case
    $499.00

Syber Steam Machine - P
    Intel Core i5-4460
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
    8GB RAM
    AsRock H81m WiFi Motherboard
    1TB 7200RPM 2.5" HDD
    450W SFX 80+ Power Supply
    $729.00

Syber Steam Machine - X
    Intel Core i7-4790K
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
    16GB RAM
    Gigabyte Z97N-WiFi Motherboard
    1TB 7200RPM 2.5" HDD
    600W SFX 80+ Gold Power Supply
    $1,419.00

All models will feature Valve’s SteamOS. The prices do not include a Steam Controller, which is $49.99 that can be purchased from CYBERPOWERPC with the Steam Machine or separately through Steam. The Steam Controller lets you play your entire collection of Steam games through your TV.

Additional technical specifications, configure-to-order options and accessories are available online at www.sybergaming.com .

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2015
    Sykikal and CROWley like this.
  • Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Shiny Ablico, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Sykikal
    I'm going on a bit of a rant here, but I feel like Valve really dropped the ball on this. Not an expert, correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I can tell most of the Steamboxes are about as powerful as a prebuilt PC for the same price. If it were just somewhere between a built computer and a prebuilt in terms of cost that'd be one thing, but why would anyone bother when they can just get a working prebuilt for less?

Not to mention, there are so many different versions it'd confuse the casual consumer (which might sound silly to criticize options but when it comes to consoles standardization is a main selling point). When I first heard about the Steambox, I imagined they'd have some sort of standard specs, and then for the next 4-5 years the vast majority of games on Steam would try to fit their games into these specs, maybe have "Steambox compatible" marked games. The casual consumer who enjoys just getting a console and plugging it in isn't going to want to do research or find out what specs are, they want a standardized format that just works.

I didn't really expect this, but if Valve was really feeling ambitious, they could have considered using disc based media that didn't require installation. I know that'd mean they couldn't offer some of the great sales, but a lot of console gamers don't mind paying a bit extra for the flexibility of physical games. People with slow internet connections or data caps don't have to worry about big downloads and they can easily share their games.

Casual consumers won't want to hassle with the complexity of this, and hardcore PC gamers will just buy or build a PC. I'm not seeing a target demographic or benefit for this.

The controller kind of interests me though I suppose. Might want to see how that plays out.
    CROWley likes this.
  2. Shiny Ablico
    Speaking of the controller you will like this:

Customers can now preorder at GAME to receive the Steam Controller and Steam Link weeks before everyone else

4th June, 2015: UK and Spanish gamers can get ready to experience a new level of control of their favourite Steam games with the launch of the Steam Controller and Steam Link. A new agreement between GAME and Valve means that GAME will be making the new technology available for preorder from today under a UK and Spain retail exclusive.

In addition, GAME and Valve will be offering a limited number of ‘early bird’ preorders to gamers who put their deposit down first, meaning they will receive the hardware on the 16th October - nearly a full month before the 10th November general release.

The new Steam Controller emulates the use of a mouse and keyboard to facilitate PC gaming through the TV and features trackpads, dual-stage triggers and fully customisable control schemes. Gamers will also feel feedback through the controller to enhance their gaming experience.

The Steam Link allows gamers to connect any TV to their Steam host PC, Mac or Steam Machine at 1080p, expanding their full gaming collection around the house.

The Steam Controller will be available from GAME as part of two bundles, one for £59.99 including £20 of Steam credit and a second for £99.99 with Steam Link and £20 of Steam Credit.

It doesn't mention anything outside of Europe yet...
  3. CROWley
    What is Steam Link?

99.100% of those will end up online with ridiculous prices due to resellers.
  4. Shiny Ablico
    I am pretty sure that Steam Link is a software connection to your main PC "central HUB of information" if you will.
    CROWley likes this.