Switch news/discussion

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Sykikal, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

I feel like I might be doing this prematurely given the lack of news regarding the console, but maybe we have a general idea of the NX enough to talk about it a bit or at least have a placeholder thread for when news does eventually come out. So far all we seem to know about it is that the console is going to release in March 2017 (provided no delays), and that it'll have Zelda and a few other games.

There have been a lot of rumors, for example that it'll be a console/portable hybrid, that it'll have around the power of the PS4/Xbox One, that it'll use cartridges but nothing official.

Announced games include:
    (source http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-30-nintendo-nx-games-release-date-specs-price ).

It's strange because the console's existence was announced in March of last year, so a very long gap between the reveal of the console and the release, yet we still don't know what it looks like, what the cost will be, what the launch titles will be, what kind of controller it'll have, etc.

If the rumors are true (emphasis on "if"), I'm concerned for the future of Nintendo. Wii U didn't sell that well, and I think consumers will lose faith in Nintendo if they drop the ball twice in a row. Such a lack of information so close to release is a bad sign, and if the NX only has power of around the PS4/Xbone that would also be a bad move imo. Nintendo needs strong third party support in addition to their first party lineup, and if we see a repeat of the last generation, where the Wii U was around the power of PS3/Xbox360 but not being as strong as its current gen rivals in the PS4/Xbox One it'll hurt NX.

If NX is outpowered by the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio I don't think it'll be able to get good third party support, especially if they're trying to sell another gimmick like with the Wii U.

I'm hoping that I'm wrong here and Nintendo will blow us away, I want to see them succeed but they have just seemed out of touch lately. Any of you have thoughts? Any of you agree or disagree with me?

2. Sykikal

So, Switch announced as I mentioned in my article (quoted above).

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-is-not-backwards-compatible-with-p/1100-6444706/

Unfortunately, no backwards compability for Nintendo Switch (for physical Wii U and 3DS titles). I was kinda hoping it would be after seeing Splatoon and MP8. This is on top of them not confirming if NBA 2K17 and Skyrim are coming. Misleading trailer much?

3. Sykikal

Some updates:

This is concerning to me. It probably means that in order for the Switch to be on par with PS4/Xbone it'll need to be $400-$500, or more likely it'll be underpowered from a hardware perspective. I don't want a repeat of Wii U where Switch doesn't get third party support.

GameStop also reported that Switch would support amiibo. Which was indicated by the trailer but not directly stated. [​IMG]

Polygon mentions that Nintendo also mentions that Switch dock won't serve as a second screen.

4. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

It's most likely not going to be on par with PS4/XBO, and not even close to Neo/Scorpio.

From Nvidia:
    Important thing to note is that the Tegra processor is used in smartphones and tablets.

This is worrying because it sounds like it's going to take more effort to port games to the Switch. This is the same problem the PS3 had, and ports were generally worse on PS3 compared to 360.

Sykikal likes this.