Support anyone on Patreon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sykikal, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

Do you support anyone on Patreon? If so, who? Anyone you considered supporting but decided against it? What are your thoughts on people making money through Patreon as a whole?

2. Numb

Numb None of this matters

I'm never going to support you on patreon.

3. Knagg

Knagg Destroyer of Opinions

Yes. I support a podcast through Patreon. It's a team of three guys, and they pretty much quit their jobs to give me the information I care about on the podcast I listen to. They're highly informative on the subject, so I don't mind paying them the $25 a month (also available for $1/m, $5/m, $10/m)

The podcast is Fantasy Footballers. They do daily podcasts, even in the offseason. Each podcast is well over an hour.

4. Sykikal

I don't have a Patreon and I'm not planning to get one.

5. Numb

Good, because if you did I would not support it, and encourage others to do the same.

6. Sykikal

I'd be okay with that but I find it odd that you immediately brought up how you wouldn't support me when I didn't even mention it. Not the point of the topic.

I'm mostly curious to see people's thoughts Patreon (eg. how they feel about the concept of people making a living through e-content as a whole) and which content creators people like so much that they're willing to pay for it.

7. Numb

You are never going to get my cash.

8. Marly

Marly Gamer

It's a jew practice for jews.

People who use Patreon can still produce content just as often and maintain the quality of their product- They're just doing that whole passive "WEEEEELLLL IF YOU WANT TO GIVE US MONEY YOU CAN BUT ITS NOT REALLY UP TO US WINK WINK ;DDD" so they don't LOOK like greedy scumbags while still reeling in money regardless (they KNOW they're going to get money from SOMEONE) and maintaining their public image. In other words, it's an incredibly American website perfect for shilling.

9. Sykikal

Is it really a bad thing to make money off YouTube or podcasts or comics or whatever if people are willing to pay it? Everyone has bills (rent, food, etc.) so if they're going to do YouTube full time they need some source of income.

10. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

What I find appalling about Patreon is this
    [​IMG]

11. Sykikal

Eh, that is a drawback to these sorts of systems, but I feel like they exist everywhere, eg. if she just charged money for her games or whatever it is she sells she'd probably make about the same. Besides, you can say you don't want her getting the money, but is it really that much worse than her supporters having the money? :P

12. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

I have an issue with this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Say's he creates "science and secular" videos when since Anita became a thing, a lot of his videos are based on bashing feminism. His channel was going downhill and his first Anita video just about single handedly revived his channel. Why not milik it. If we're gonna talk :merchant: I found a good one.

Otherwise no, I don't much care if patreon exists or not, no one can/should dictate how you spend your money.

13. Sykikal

For some reason a lot of atheist channels seem to make anti-feminism videos. MrRepzion, The Amazing Atheist, Thunderf00t. Maybe they're in the same general target demographic or they're two beliefs that tend to overlap. I guess I can see why it would be a problem if someone is doing a bait and switch where their audience is paying for and expects one type of video and gets something else but for the most part the audience seems okay with it, that's the main factor (and if they didn't they could pull the funding).

14. Numb

Probably cause they're pissed off from that whole Atheist Plus thing. Atheism was about debunking common claims by religions until that whole in-fighting shit happened.

15. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

No. Especially after I seen how pathetic it is when someone supports e-celebs on Patreon just so they'll play games with them or give them attention. It's supposed to be donation, not paying so an e-celeb will pretend to be your friend for an hour. That, and I don't enjoy anything on the internet enough to pay for it when it's already offered for free. I don't care how someone makes their living, but things usually change when a hobby turns into your only source of income.

Sykikal likes this.
  16. Sykikal

Yeah, surprisingly common reward tier. "Skype me for an hour!" I remember the cliche "Give me your lunch money and I'll be your best friend". It seems like this is the modern version of that. I'm not opposed to Patreon as a theory if people want to donate to artists they support but so far the "rewards" haven't seemed valuble enough to interest me so I haven't supported anyone through Patreon, at least not yet.

17. Numb

Oh my God, listen here you little stupid monkey-avatar shit head: I'm NEVER going to support you on Patreon!

18. Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity Junior Gamer

Patreon = for the most part :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant: :merchant:

You have roughly one legitimate person using it how it's meant to be used and then about 10 others who go "THANKS FOR THE FREE SHEKELS GOYS, I'LL MAKE "FREE" STUFF FOR SURE NEXT MONTH." They have little to no work ethic at all. Like how a lot of kickstarters work. Then you have people using it as a double revenue source while they make money doing their "free job" for commissions and such (At least in regards to artists and others and for lack of better example, that awful Quinn creature as vengvong pointed out), and that's yet another gray area for "capitalism" to exploit. I'm surprised most e-celebs haven't gotten in on that as their fanbase is braindead enough to give them twice as much money for taking a shit in front of a recorder while doing fuck all.

That said, if I was going to support anyone on Patreon it'd be people like FilmCow, because I enjoy their weird ass animations and humor.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  19. Marly

Marly Gamer

It's one of those things where they don't have to make it- Nobody is forcing them to produce whatever they do at some strict schedule. The problem with that mindset is that what started as a hobby becomes monetized, and becomes profit-centric- making the original creator lose sight of their initial intent, and causing a slow shift in the content itself and/or the general attitude of the creator. (Such as suddenly going "WELL NOBODY IS GIVING ME MONEY ANYMORE SO I WONT MAKE ANYMORE" even though it was never about money)

20. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

His subscribers had to tell him to Stop talking about Anita, they were getting tired of it, he just wouldn't move on. Even though he made a video stating he would be

[​IMG]

[​IMG]