Steam should implement System Requirements

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Knagg, May 1, 2016.

1. Knagg

Knagg Destroyer of Opinions

Steam should have a feature where it checks your hardware to let you know if you can run a game or not. Now its been a while since I've been on the actual Steam client, but I don't think they have this feature yet.

They should add in the options to either for it to check your specs, or the very least allow you to put in your specs. I know that checking the minimum requirements of a title and comparing them with your system is a common thing to do, so most users may already know right away or not, but I feel this feature would make Steam more user friendly to the general populous.

2. ATPrime

ATPrime Junior Gamer

while steam does have system requirements on games, it would be nice to have a "Check My Hardware" button that sees whether or not you could run a game fairly well. or better yet, right before purchasing a game, it would scan your hardware, and if you wouldn't be able to run the game well, it would warn you about that.

on the other hand, if you can't run a game, steam does have a refund policy.

Knagg likes this.
  3. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

vengvong likes this.
  4. Numb

Numb None of this matters

I don't even look! If I buy the game and I can't run it then I just yell really loudly and buy ice cream to forget my money spending problem!

vengvong likes this.
  5. Knagg

Yeah, Check My Hardware. Thats what I was meaning. Something like this should be in it. Yeah, you can check the minimum requirements, but if it says "AMD XXXX-XXXX and higher" and you have a NVIDIA or ATI, it could be harder to figure out if you can play it or not. Same thing with a CPU, "must be at least duo-core 2.4GHz" is harder to figure out if you run a quad or octacore.

6. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

Sometimes I have trouble telling if my graphics card meets the minimum requirements. Especially for my computers that have integrated graphics. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to figure out, so it's mostly just a convenience thing.

Edit: Might not be for me or Knagg, but I imagine a lot of people don't even know what graphics card/CPU/RAM are and don't want to bother to do research to find out what they are. About 5 years ago I had a basic idea about them (eg. more GHz is better) , but didn't really know about cores, graphic cards, etc. Also, recently I heard about how more GHz isn't necessarily "better", but still don't understand the full details. A lot of people just want to know if their computer will run it or not. The simplicity of consoles is a pretty large benefit imo. It'd be a nice feature to implement, but as long as they have the refund policy I suppose it's not necessary.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  7. Knagg

It is for convenience. Something that would prove helpful with my laptop that's coming in with integrated graphics.

8. Fenrir

Fenrir Luminary of the stars!!

9. Knagg