Sony hacked a dozen times

Discussion in 'Sony' started by Sykikal, May 27, 2011.

1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

0.5 PSN was down to a denial of service attack. Not really a hack, but you'd still expect their servers to be a little stronger than that.

1. PSN hacked and user information of over 70 million accounts compromised.
    2. Sony Online Entertainment hacked (What they used to store MMORPG data.) 25,000 million accounts compromised, including credit card info.
    3. Sony Online Entertainment's old database from 2007. 12,000+ accounts compromised.
    4. Forgot password flaw that allowed users to retrieve someone's password if they knew their email address. According Sony this wasn't a "hack" just an "exploit".
    5. Sony Thailand site compromised and used for credit card phishing.
    6. So-net hacked (Japanese Sony owned Internet Service Provider), more than $1,000 worth of customer giftcards stolen.
    7. Sony's Greece music site compromised thousands of users' information stolen.
    8. Sony's Japanese music site compromised thousands of users' information stolen.
    9. Sony Canadian phone site, Ericsson compromised, user information for more than 2,000 users stolen and leaked online.
    10. Sony Pictures hacked. Over a million accounts vulnerable (supposedly, only several tens of thousands were taken).
    11. Sony Europe hacked. "Only" 150 accounts stolen.
    12. Sony Pictures Russia hacked. No accounts stolen yet.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

Hahahaha oh Sony

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. Seth

Seth Fame Had An IV

^win
    i laughed at this when i found out. who actually uses credit cards for this scheiße anyways.. Go out and buy a psn card. my account wasn't compromised so i didnt care. plus i had a lot of new games that kept me busy to not think about online.

4. Snow

Snow Dedicated Member

I'm glad I don't play PlayStation 3.
    XBOX 360 is just to awesome.

I :lol:'d at that pic @ Lavitz.

5. CaspeR

CaspeR Inactive

Yea I don't see the point in giving your credit card info to a FREE service.

Also free vidya gaems tastes good to me.

6. Lavitz

I tried to find the pic where the PS3 starts puking out passwords and usernames but I couldn't find it :(

7. Sykikal

Putting your credit card information is to of course buy games, downloadable content, PSN Plus, movies, etc.

You're not paying for the service they're already giving you for free.

I haven't put in my credit card info on PS3 yet.

Though I don't think that's really fair to blame people for putting in their credit card information. It is more convenient than going to a store and buying a PSN card. In some countries they aren't available, or more difficult to obtain.

Besides that, it isn't like people could have anticipated Sony would have been compromised. I would imagine there are other services (Phones, Xbox360, Cable bill) that you give credit card info to that you have just as much reason to believe they would have been compromised as Sony.

Additionally, there is no proof that the credit card info was even taken during the PSN hacking since according to Sony they were encrypted.

8. Seth

Seth Fame Had An IV

People are just flat out lazy. I won't put my credit card anywhere, except for when I'm buying something in a store. Get up and go to a store, they're sold just about everywhere now.

9. Lavitz

Yeah prepaid cards are the way to go, there's really no reason to use your credit card online when we have prepaid visas and every console has its own form of prepaid card

10. Sykikal

Why? People (such as employees) can see your credit card number at physical stores. Isn't your credit card just as likely to be taken there?

There's nothing wrong with being lazy when there's not a good reason for exerting more effort (eg, throwing your trash away in a garbage can that is 1 feet away as opposed to 10 feet away).

It isn't like people should have anticipated Sony was going to be hacked and the credit card information might not have even been stolen since it was encrypted. Even if it was, it is unlikely that a hacker would target you since it is one number out of millions, and even if they did, there are forms to counter it, such as checking your credit card statement and reporting fraudulent charges, and/or using the identity theft protection Sony offered.

You could put it the other way, and say people who buy prepaid cards are too lazy to get a credit card.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  11. Lavitz

Getting a prepaid means you actually leave your house :lol:

12. Sykikal

As far as I know getting a credit card means you have to a bank and apply for one. A lot more trouble than just going to a store and paying cash.

It rewards you long term with convenience. Thus people who don't already have a credit card could be considered lazy (Which is who the prepaid cards are intended for.)

Again, is going to more trouble for the same result really a good thing?

13. troll

troll Keep up the Streak!

Poor Sony. It seems as though their repeated showcases of ignorance will be their 6th and maybe final downfall. You would think that a company as well known and respected as Sony would be stronger than this...

14. Air

Air Loading...

I laughed at Lavitz little cartoon, I'm not a big fan of Sony, this jsut added to a reason for me NOT to want to be a big fan. Sure I have a PS3 but I don't play it as often as I would have.

15. Nin10dO

Nin10dO Inactive

In my book, you don't have to be a "big fan" of a company to play their consoles or whatever it is.

16. Lavitz

I'm not a big fan of Microsoft but the 360 is my console of choice simply because it has better versions of multiplats, hopefully I'll be able to say the Wii successor is my favorite console next gen

17. Sykikal

Sony Pictures has supposedly been hacked (making this the sixth time). Their site contained more than a million accounts.

18. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

kinda funny they got hacked 6 times and this is supposedly their 6th downfall the way you put it.

19. Sykikal

I just did a recount, bringing the count up to a dozen. Yeap, you heard me right. I am not exaggerating. Sony was hacked on twelve separate occasions in the past few months.

If I'm in anyway mistaken please correct me.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  20. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

Wow this is just Pathetic, i Don't think a few crappy games are gonna fix all the problems anymore.