Sailor Moon returns back to America; Viz licensed the series.

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Super Smash Bros. Fan, May 19, 2014.

1. Super Smash Bros. Fan

Super Smash Bros. Fan My first forum...

I'm sure a lot of you have heard of, but at long last, after ten years of legal hell, the Sailor Moon anime is finally returning. On May 16th, 2014, Viz announced that they had licensed the original Sailor Moon anime. It will come completely unedited and as it originally was (that's right, all 200 episodes are coming and without edits), unlike the notoriously bad DIC dub as well as the rushed Cloverway dub. Viz Media is also licensing the new anime called Sailor Moon Crystal.

Here's an interview with Viz Media's Charlene Ingram and Josh Lopez. They talk about the details surrounding licensing Sailor Moon, how the restoration is going to be handled, etc.

I am very excited to see Sailor Moon return. As someone who enjoyed seeing it on Toonami (despite not realizing how awful it was), I awaited the day when I could legally see it again. Now that it is back, I am really excited to get this and will make sure to buy the set on Blu-Ray once it comes out.

2. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

What were the problems with the DIC dub? I didn't watch Sailor Moon often enough to notice.

3. Super Smash Bros. Fan

Super Smash Bros. Fan My first forum...

Lots of unnecessary changes to the script and a few episodes were cut. It was a shadow of the original series's series.

4. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

The 3rd season of Sailor Moon Crystal ended a few months ago. As someone who watched all 200 episodes of the original Sailor Moon anime (4 seasons dubbed, last season subbed), I think it was a pretty solid reboot. Nice to hear Sailor Moon's original voice actor again.

As for the relicensing, I think I may watch some of this again. It's a win-win situation for me because if Sailor Moon Crystal doesn't reboot every season, I can just watch the seasons they missed on the relicensed version

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016