Rise of the Tomb Raider to be Xbox One exclusive

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Knagg, Aug 12, 2014.

• by Knagg, Aug 12, 2014 at 3:34 PM
  • Knagg

Knagg Destroyer of Opinions

Rise of the Tomb Raider, a direct sequel to Tomb Raider (2013), was first announced during E3 2014. At Gamescom 2014, Rise of the Tomb Raider was confirmed to be exclusive to Microsoft's Xbox One. They did not specify whether or not it will be a timed-exclusive or if they have plans for the PlayStation later on.
    The Tomb Raider series first appeared on the PlayStation, Sega Saturn and PC. Due to it's success on the PlayStation, it led to further sequels and attributed to the success of the PlayStation in the mid 1990's.

Tomb Raider (2013) was a reboot of the franchise, giving Lara Croft, the main protagonist of the series, a new beginning and story. The plot revolves around Lara's escape off an island, Yamatai while investigating the legend of the goddess Himiko, the Sun Queen.

Rise of the Tomb Raider will take place after Tomb Raider (2013) dealing with Lara Croft and how the island of Yamatai effected her, adding to her character development into her role as the Tomb Raider. Due to be released Holiday season 2015, will not be releasing on the PlayStation, making it the first core game of the series to be an exclusive title.

Tomb Raider (2013) came out last year for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Windows, and OS X.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
  • Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Knagg, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Shadow
    M$'s way of trying to keep the Xbone relevant
  2. Knagg
    Definitely works. I loved Tomb Raider. And I've been on the fence between the two. Between this and Phantom Dust reboot, I'm definitely considering the Xbone now.
  3. Sykikal
    I suppose I should be happy to have more options. This is pretty much what I expected. On the other hand, that is probably bad news for the Xbox One. I mean, it is major exclusive games that'll drive people to buy their console. Not that I personally would be all that interested in Tomb Raider. It is just that I doubt "timed exclusive" stuff is really going to push many people to want to buy an Xbox One. All they have to do is wait a few months for the game to come out on the other platforms.
  4. Knagg
    Xbox One has the exclusive EA Access Pass I believe, which allows users for $15/month or $30/year, to have early access to nonexclusive games, such as Madden 15 or Fifa 15.

I'm fairly positive playstation doesn't have it, maining Xbox One users are building up their ultimate team before Playstation users.
  5. Sykikal
    Again, sounds like more timed exclusive stuff. It isn't that it is bad for Microsoft to have timed exclusives, I am just saying timed exclusive are not going to drive nearly as many console sales are actual exclusive content.
  6. Knagg
    They think differently. They've been promoting the "Play it first on Xbox One" for a few months now. But hey, tell their marketing team that they're doing it wrong, and maybe you can change something .