Recording Steam games

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by CROWley, Jul 18, 2015.

1. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

I'm a gamer like the res.... most of you. I record video's, mostly of glitches that I find. I now have this wonderful PC, Famine that I had Shadow build for me and because of it, a growing PC library. I've encountered problems recording Steam games though so I'm looking for some idea's.

Normally my Hauppauge is hooked up to my TV and my computer. My console is hooked up to the Hauppauge. If I want to record my computer screen or in the past broadcast to my TV, I would just take the output from my console and plug it into my laptop. That doesn't seem to work with Famine. The last time I tried it, it seems ti have just recorded my desktop even though I made my TV my main monitor.

One Idea I had was to jut have my laptop set up separate and have it as a recoding device. All I would have to do is unplug the USB cable from Famine and plug it into that. The problem with that is I'd have to have 2 computers always turned on to record and play games as well as finding room for a second mouse. My laptop is a piece of shit. It gets hot as hell, doesn't have a lot of storage and runs slow. Just the other day I booted it up to use Fire Fox and it froze trying to load 1 tab.

On a side note. Does anybody have any recommendations for a mic that's decent and doesn't cost a fortune, audio recording software and a video editing program that's not a piece of shit? I don't intend to edit all my video's but combining some of the smaller ones into a compilation, cutting off parts I don't need and commentating occasionally would be nice. It would also be nice to have a webcam and mic for Skype.

Even more of a side note. While I was plugging my computer into my Hauppauge to perform some tests, I hit the record button. I don't know if the software updated or it was something I did but the entire interface has changed now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: I don't know how I got that second recording option booted up from hitting the button. Apparently there's 2 recording programs on my computer for the Hauppauge. I'm going to mess around with this second one to see which I like more.

2. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

You have an NVIDIA GPU right? Why not use Shadowplay?

Shadow likes this.
  3. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

Shadow suggested that as well. I don't really know how it works. With my Hauppauge I know I can just hit the record button and it will record for as long as I have memory and my computer is on.

I want to test it but part of it is I couldn't remember what the program was called.

As long as I can record for as long as I want I'm good for the most part. Steam allows me to take screenshots and my Hauppauge allows me to take all the screenshots I want.

4. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Yes

[​IMG]

In Geforce experience (I'm pretty sure I installed that for you, search for it) Click preferences and then shadowplay on the top right, click the button that is now green (it'll be grey cause it's off)

[​IMG]

You can set it to manual so you just hit a button in game and it'll start recording or set it so that it records the last 1-20 minutes of gameplay if anything really cool happened but you weren't recording.

[​IMG]

You can choose a status indicator so you know when it's enabled, when it's recording and when it's available, you can allow desktop recording and choose your mic setting as well as key bindings below that I didn't capture and where you want to save the videos.

Sykikal and CROWley like this.
  5. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

So this program only works if you have NVIDIA?

6. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Yes, I think AMD MIGHT have something similar but I'm not sure

I have a lot of clips of Matt and I playing games I recorded if anyone wants to see them

7. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

Don't you have a YouTube channel? Why not upload them there?

8. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Takes forever to upload videos since I always do 1080p and they're not much, I usually recorded them because something funny happened for a second or something and I doubt others would want to see it.

9. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

How would you share them with us? I want to bump up my video quality and it would be cool if there was some kind of community channel.

10. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Here is a video I uploaded a while ago but it's just private. It's The Forest. 1080p is obviously best quality.

11. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

Their version is really bad and it's integrated with Raptr... nuff said. I prefer using OBS.