PS2 is the most played console

Discussion in 'Sony' started by Dusk-Gold, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Dusk-Gold

Dusk-Gold Inactive

Though its tech is distinctly last-gen, and its software releases are drying up, the PS2’s colossal 140 million-plus userbase makes it one of the most-played consoles of last year.

A study undertaken by market research group Nielsen measures the amount of ‘game-minutes’ used on each console. Its results show that in October the PS2 was responsible for over 30 percent of all console gameplay, with the Xbox 360 trailing in second with an 18.3 percent share.

Nielsen doesn’t explain its research method, nor does it verify if the American research group’s data was amassed from territories outside the US, and the findings don’t specify data from handheld systems. Also, the group’s results were labelled under ‘October 2008’, making it more of a snapshot study than a full annual report (though proportional console usage tends to not fluctuate as much as weekly or monthly sales figures).

The full list also claims that the original Xbox had amassed more usage than Sony’s PS3. The full list can be found below:

PlayStation 2 (30.2% of “all measured console minutes”)
    Xbox 360 (18.3%)
    Wii (13.5%)
    Xbox (9.1%)
    PlayStation 3 (7.7%)
    GameCube (4.4%)
    Other (16.9%)

2. Yukinari

Yukinari Keep up the Streak!

Well it may have been most played, but sadly it will never rule over the Atari 2600, the longest lasting home console.

3. Super Smash Bros. Fan

Super Smash Bros. Fan My first forum...

These console rule over that one:
    NES, SNES, Genesis, Nintendo 64, and Playstation!

4. Seth

Seth Fame Had An IV

Supersmash face it. Wii isnt most played. A better system is.

5. Super Smash Bros. Fan

Super Smash Bros. Fan My first forum...

The Playstation 3 is understandable, but having the Xbox 360 above the Wii is unacceptable! (Beside, it sold more copy and this is about to change.)

6. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

PS2 is a great console. I still play mine.

7. Nack

Nack Inactive

PS2 had a great library.

Console wise? Meh. Dreamcast's VMU's owned the PS2.

8. Numb

Numb None of this matters

Nope. 360 is one of the best online consoles out there for people. Wii, just no, it won't win.

9. Failzor

Failzor Inactive

Xbox360 best online but ps3 is a close second and its free

10. Aaron

Aaron Inactive

ps2 isn't a next gen console anyway. and i play the ps2 more then any other gaming system.

11. KDUDE

KDUDE Inactive

I still play my old ps2 games. I have a ps3 also. I like the ps3 more than a couple systems that I own currently. I can see that graph being true.

12. Dwlr

Dwlr Inactive

Does the Playstation 3 playing Playstation 2 count towards the PS3 or PS2 likewise for the others that can play throwback games.

13. Tasha

Tasha Inactive

The Wii is innovative and such, but I don't feel like waving my arms everywhere feeling super lame while playing video games. I want a real controller damnit! :lol:

14. Dwlr

Dwlr Inactive

With all the peripherals for the other consoles the Wii's novelty is pretty well moot these days and besides that they're remake of the GC remotes bother me. The biggest reason I don't touch the Wii is that the stupid little censor bar has to be placed at a certain height and my current setup doesn't really allow me to place it higher so even if I wanted to it has difficulty registering the wiimote's movements.

15. Nix

Nix Inactive

I personally don't like the wii. I hope I can sell it because I really dont like it. Playstation 3 is okay but you have to have the hdmi cable so you can see better. Playstation 2 is alright I still play it once in a blue moon.