Preferred chat client

Discussion in 'Questions Assistance & Feedback' started by Sykikal, Feb 19, 2018.

?

Which chat client should we use?

1. Shoutbox

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Discord

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Other (please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

I made a thread a few years ago about moving from xat over to built in shoutbox. I'm considering moving to Discord now. In the previous thread, I had a longer list of reasons but I think most of the users on the site are familiar enough with Discord and the Shoutbox already to make a call.

I don't really like the idea of dividing discussion between two chatboxes so I thought we should pick one.

2. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

If we pick discord, what happens to the site

3. Sykikal

Forums stay. Chat maybe not. Also itll probably decrease traffic.

4. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

I prefer discord. I use it every day anyway, and it has mobile push notifications so you can't miss anything (like when someone is trying to get your attention). You can make many channels, and view them without having to go to a forum and searching for a specific thread (not that we have many of those anyway). Until the decision is made, I'm going to be exclusively using the Discord.

5. shadowray7

shadowray7 Resident Maki Worshipper

You can keep chat for streams or whatever
    oryoucouldjustusetwitchchat

6. Sykikal

Not sure I understand the benefit there. The threads aren't that hard to find. Except that there are more threads than Discord channels so it might be easier to find a channel than a thread. Though in theory if we made as many Discord channels as there were threads we'd need a search-like feature for that too wouldn't we?

7. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

Doesn't need to be a channel for every topic, just categories like the forums already have. Discord has a great search feature.

[​IMG]

The benefit is that it's all easily accessible and not separated from the chat, like we currently are. People have already said many times that they prefer using the chat than the forums. You can have multiple conversations going at the same time, easy to follow because they're all organized and people can mute channels they don't care about.

8. Sykikal

It may seem a bit soon to make the call since we just made the discord "public" a day ago but it seems like it's unanimous so far. I'm 95% sure we're doing the switch. I'd like to hear from a few of the other regulars like Pointy / Ruki before we make it official.

Any lone dissenters out there that we didn't hear from?

9. Sykikal

This post is more of a formality since we basically moved to Discord anyway but I guess now I'm making it official. I'll start working on adding smileys/rules and any channels that Lavitz/Miles haven't already added.