Post limit...

Discussion in 'Questions Assistance & Feedback' started by tomhammer3, Jul 24, 2010.

?

Should we increase the Post limit to 30?

Poll closed Nov 6, 2010.
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. I don't care

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. tomhammer3

tomhammer3 Inactive

I disagree, people like kaix and I easily reach the limit without spamming. As you can see yes we do contribute to the RP section, but who's to say we can't have a little fun on these forums instead of making everything a "Heartfelt notice, put into an envelope sealed with love and a kiss." (don't ask I made that up as I went along... took a while for me to figure out the ending part of it though =P).

By the way, would you please stop bringing math into this XD, I solved your last equation on my thread and it ended up being something around 647, which can't be right...

2. Kaix

Kaix Inactive

Enough already..

Alright.. looking at these posts, this will just end up being a never-ending battle between who thinks what of where the post limit should be blah blah blah. At this point I'd think it best we just leave it where it is. If people are going to argue over it than what is the real point? I also love the fact that we are now going as low as telling the owner of the place what he should and should not do. That's crossing the line in my book. If a limit on posts is so bad, let us debate on something else. This is turning into a crap-hole for lack of a better word. Oh and by the way, have you noticed that my posts aren't exactly "short" even in the RP/forum game section. If people did that HOW the heck is it "wasted"... I think you need to re-define that. Or we can ask that the section as a whole be removed. But again, this is all so very pointless.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  3. Reggie

Reggie Limit Breaker

When you said that we should take time and think, that reminded me of my instructor having us to have at least 250 words in our threaded discussion assignments. I have never thought that the instructor was doing this to keep his students from spamming the portal. After all, we should put ourselves in instructor’s shoes when he asked us to make our threaded response more detailed. This forum is more like a threaded discussion system, where we come to express our opinions about something that is important to us. When we do express ourselves in a truthful matter, we are more likely to add them into detail. I am sure that people have more to say about the topic they are trying to post, so why not express ourselves in more detail. If we really love a video game so much, we can take the time to tell each other what we liked about the game. Anyway, we can make a change in the forum and make it look professional only we use this as our personal homework assignment to form qualitative posts. This does not sound easy to say, but I believe that this is true in most cases. By the way, this is all I have to say about the posting limit.

4. tomhammer3

tomhammer3 Inactive

Ya know what, I actually agree with kaix, my suggestion has ended up turning into an argument... and its not really worth arguing over. If you think about it, will phsyc actually end up reading this and starting debating to himself over who's side he should take... blah blah blah, etc...? It's not worth arguing over if it's a suggestion, in fact the only reason I was arguing over it was because most people are saying only bad things can come from it, and they were stating some things that wouldn't be affected, or that were actually helpful to the forums in some way... So I say we stop commenting on both Kracker's and my thread over this...

5. Kaix

Kaix Inactive

First good suggestion of the day. Can a mod or admin please close both threads? It would be appreciated.

6. krackers

krackers Inactive

I agree. I think the limit is fine where it is. Physc isn't going to change it anyway so case closed. This was simply to demonstrate that everything is fine where it is. Case closed.

7. Kaix

Kaix Inactive

Nice on getting your last word in considering none of this really was directed at you or affected you directly from the beginning.. Cool story bro. In the future I think anything concerning the direct decision of the main owner should be private messaged to him to avoid this kind of mess; and if a thread is needed let HIM make it so there is no confusion.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  8. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

I don't think it's worth all this discussion.

1. The limit doesn't apply to badge holders. Prove that you have a lot of constructive, well thought out posts, or that you're a trusted user, and the limit is lifted.

2. I've personally never even had to post more than 25 times in a single day. If you take the time to think out your posts and focus more on quality, I think you'll find that the 25 post limit isn't even a factor.

3. You can use a separate document (Such as notepad, wordpad) to store the posts you have planned, and post them the next day. I find that often after I sleep on an idea it's not as good of an idea as it seemed.

The 25 post limit doesn't have to be a limit if you don't make it out to be one.

The majority of people posting more than that are posting rapidly while applying little thought into each post (Again, if you can prove that's not the case for you, the limit is lifted), trying to earn posts as quickly as possible at the expense of quality of posts at the board, of just flat out spam.

There is also often times many posts made in the forum games or roleplaying sections, and while posting there is acceptable, it is not intended to be the focus of the forum, and shouldn't be used as a substitute for discussion that this forum was designed for.

Please also consider the work involved by myself, and the moderation team. It was previously very difficult to keep up and enforce the large quantity of posts being made in such a short period of time with our limited time and resources.

After carefully considering this, I feel the 25 post restriction on new users does more good than harm, and there is not sufficient reason to relax the limitation by adding additional posts, or decreased time frame.

Please do not bring this up again unless there is a significant factor that you feel I've missed. You may continue to discuss and vote on this, but no action will be taken by me as a result of it.

On another note, while I tolerate discussion of this (even though it will likely result in no change), please keep that discussion to one thread. I don't want multiple threads of the same subject cluttering up the forum and making it more difficult for other legitimate threads to be found.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  9. dani

dani Inactive

you guys should really get over it.

its staying at 25.

now suck it up.

kbai.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  10. Seth

Seth Fame Had An IV

win^
    maybe the shop should be removed cause its doing more harm then good. kthnx

11. troll

troll Keep up the Streak!

I know Phsy is the main owner and all, but really, the limit has got to go. I mean, sure, maybe it is good for the spammers, but my view is that maybe the limit should be lifted for all users for a while just to test and see what people would do. Anyone spamming or doing useless posts should be put on probation, and 25 limit is on for them. Also, maybe if the limit isn't lifted, it could at least be raised. Also, it wouldn't kill Phsy to make some more mods. Maybe Evil, SethStarScream, or Nin10? I understand that some people come just to spam, but other users actually like to help, and discuss video games. I don't think posts in the game forums should count torwards your post count, and maybe the limit should NOT be for the WHOLE forum in general, maybe just the game forum? If Phsy could maybe take this into consideration, maybe more people would come, and maybe more helping and video game talk would go on. I feel the limit should be raised because for people without badges, it may be hard for them to earn, and some of them may be here to help or talk about video games. If the limit is raised, I think the forums would become more active and have more discussion. These forums are getting less and less active every day, and if the post limit was lifted, I think some serious discussion would get done around here. So, what do you guys think?

12. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

There's no point in "lifting the limit to see what people would do". Previously there was no limit. The limit was only added later after there was widespread spam. If I lifted the limit I don't see any reason why it wouldn't go back to that.

Sure, but that would only happen after they were checked. A lot of it is a timezone thing. I've gone to bed, then woken up to see 100+ posts made by a single person. Even if I warn them after it doesn't get those posts off the board.

Adding mods is a double edged sword. While it lifts the burden of minor infractions, it also adds another another level of over site because now I have to oversee and guide all of these new moderators. If they mess up people are going to complain about it to me. Not to mention a bad mod can do a lot of damage to the site very quickly.

While the game forum is one issue, the limit also applies to the site as whole. Spam can be anywhere.

"people without badges" Like who? You? I just looked through your posts and the majority of them are in the forum games. This sort of thing is exactly why the limit was put there in the first place.

"serious discussion" is a well though out post on a game board. "serious discussion" is a tutorial or guide, or something worth being stickied. 20 posts in forum games isn't "serious discussion". Lifting the limit only causes a few users to post large amounts of low quality post, flooding the forum and making it more difficult to get to other posts.

I think I already addressed all this earlier in the thread and am still not going to lift the limit.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  13. CaspeR

CaspeR Inactive

First off I think if you used paragraphs, it would make it easier on others to read your post.

Secondly I think you're 3 months too late, all of the new people that wanted the limit raised have left.

14. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

posting 25 times in one day is still a lot in 1 month if some spammer wanted to they could get 500 post's then get a badge and get unlimited posts and spam even worse. the forums games are sometimes fun but theyre used too much for spamming instead of actual entertainment. i was thinking the posts could be lowerd to 15 posts per day? That Would Still Be Enough to post On the Major topics Then if they have any credit left they could post to a forum game or more big topics. i also had an idea that might work to stop the spammers.

nobody can use their experience to buy xat's until they get at least 1 badge.
    it would take much longer and maybe they would get discouraged and quit. its too easy fot them to get free xat's here. people like tomhammer (who left) and Demone who post for xats would give up because they would have to post for so long. they would be able to get more xats but maybe there could be a way around that. they have to wait so long after getting a badge to buy a lot of xats. hopefully that would stop them and fix the problem altogether. if not at least send less spammers to this site.

15. Reggie

Reggie Limit Breaker

In the event that many people post more in the games section, I think that the post count should not count in the Role-playing section, because many of us seem to know how to get post counts easily by playing a game that does not require quality. For instance, let us say that we are playing the Wishing Game (the thread just closed today). Someone makes a wish. Thinking of a few words to say, the replier just earned a post count and experience points. Can you imagine what the flow of playing in the role-playing section would be like if our posts did not count in that section? This is just my opinion.

16. Extreme

Extreme Limit Breaker

No,not really when i was new i asked phsy to raise the limit...I am still here:?:

17. dani

dani Inactive

nobody posts 25 posts in one day.

unless theyre on the forum games section.

get over it.

18. Extreme

Extreme Limit Breaker

i know people who can post over 25 if they are allowed :raise:

19. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

ya every mod on the forum and every badge holder can post more than 25 times but they don't. because they care about the forum and they don't want to spam it just for a few xat's. so far it looks like you're spamming the forums. anyway 25 posts is plenty if every active user got on the forums and posted 25 posts. you wouldn't be able to find anything because all of the posts would be spam or the quality posts would be mixed up in the middle of it. look at your post a quote and i know people who can post 25 times.

if that's all you have to say then why bother posting?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  20. dani

dani Inactive

no. im not saying that people CANT.

im just saying that the forums arent very active. so not many people are gonna make 25 posts or more in one day/