Post limit...

Discussion in 'Questions Assistance & Feedback' started by tomhammer3, Jul 24, 2010.

?

Should we increase the Post limit to 30?

Poll closed Nov 6, 2010.
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. I don't care

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. dani

dani Inactive

klool. lets keep on topic now.

2. tomhammer3

tomhammer3 Inactive

I agree with kaix, I admit I play forum games and the troll bridge... but I actually do contribute, I mean look at this thread for example. I dont just do this for the xats like some people have accused me of... I just think of them as a motivator... I set my goal, try and reach it, and do it all while I contribute, but its hard when I reach the post limit every day that I come on. I'm simply asking for an increase..

My solution is that its 25 for the newer members, until they get to say... the "loading..." rank. Then it gets increased to maybe 30, then to 35, etc... until they get a badge in which case there is no limit...

3. Kaix

Kaix Inactive

That sounds completely sensible yet pretty sure we'll get bombarded with objections right after this post. Apparently the mods haven't been as active as the should be so this all creates a problem.

4. tomhammer3

tomhammer3 Inactive

ya were gunna get bombarded...

but the mods not being as active as they should be isn't our fault? More people should just register to be a moderator, not me though... have you seen my grammar? I wouldn't even get a chance XD

5. Kaix

Kaix Inactive

I plan to but there is a rule that you need to be registered for a week first.. I'm not quite there yet.

6. tomhammer3

tomhammer3 Inactive

its been... 3... maybe 4 days for you now? nice ur 4 or 3 days away from maybe becoming a mod! XD

7. dani

dani Inactive

if you arent doing it for the xats and days then why did you buy some as soon as you got enough points. :|

also. getting mod on anything vgi or video-game-info is hard.

dont expect it to be just given to you.

8. Kaix

Kaix Inactive

Doubt it. Pretty sure they won't want a completely new person in any position of power. That's usually how it goes. Oh and Dani, who are you talking to? I've yet to buy anything if you are talking about me. ;3 background checks are a good thing. But if you're talking to Tom then ignore this~

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  9. tomhammer3

tomhammer3 Inactive

Kaix dani was talking to both of us.... me about the xats, you about the mod...

and dani, like I said... I use the xats and days as a motivation, I set my goal, then check every so often to see how I'm doing towards it... right now i'm aiming for the 30 days... after that I'm going to set a new goal... I figured out 2 things in the past year that actually matter to me....

1. I basically need a carrot in front of me (in this case xats and days) or a stick behind me (its the carrot in this case....) to reach my goals.

2. Asking someone out multiple times is considered sexual harrassment in 46 of our 50 states.

So as you can see from the first one, I actually have a reason to aim for the xats/days. As you probably didn't guess from the second one... I get asked out alot and get annoyed by it... But I'm being accused of only aiming for xats when I use them as a motivation tool to have fun on the forums... I don't really want to have to "put thought" into posts, but thats my goal because phsyc told me that I would get more respect around here if I did... so I use the xats/days to motivate me to do that (is it in your head yet?).

Your turn kaix, dani, phsyc, whoever wants to post next =P

10. Kaix

Kaix Inactive

Well I figrued the mod part out. Although it was kinda common sense. Anyone running a site anywhere shouldn't just let people be mods so that was kinda explained for nothing. ;3

As for the er xat/days things, rewarding yourself on points earned shouldn't be a bad thing.. especially on here where its part of the system of how the place is run.. just a opinion of mine~

11. krackers

krackers Inactive

Tom hammer, you're getting a lot of points because of this thread... o_O

12. tomhammer3

tomhammer3 Inactive

uhhhhhh... yay? Lol i don't really know how to reply to that Krackers =P....

oh wait... im replying to it right now... lets go with this....

*Please can we get back on topic now*

13. Reggie

Reggie Limit Breaker

I really enjoy posting threads on here as well too. If you were thinking about quality and detail, it would help the forum a lot, which will make it broader for many people to post on the forum. What I am trying to say is that instead of people just posting one sentence about what they think about something, they can add more detail on why they feel that way about something or why they think that post is important to them. I honestly do not think that lifting the posting limit is the cause of activity, I think the quality of the posts itself plays a role. Do not get me wrong about this. I understand that most people do not like reading long paragraphs, but it does help at certain times, because this will give them a point from what part of the post to post about. Not only that, it can reduce the spam, and when one person, like Super Smash Fan (the person who used to get on here), adds detail to his posts. Other people would start doing that too, for this is where people can make well-rounded posts, is by being detailed.

I am not trying to put your idea down, I am just saying that people these days often be too narrow about their posts (I do the same thing too). Therefore, I would not mind increasing the posting limit, but only if we start adding more color to one post. By the way, for this is probably what the “edit” button allows us to do.

14. krackers

krackers Inactive

cool.. you added a poll. I voted for adding 30 for benefit of other people. The problem is that people will get points easier. They will lose value.

15. Kaix

Kaix Inactive

I seriously doubt a 5 post increase will make the points "lose" value that much. I mean really, it was shown earlier that most people don't get past.. what was it?.. 11-15 posts. That being said, it won't effect much.

16. krackers

krackers Inactive

The pro's and con's of more and less

A topic below me (atleast at the time of posting) or above me, is discussing about increasing the post limit. I am going to summarize my opinion on the pro's and con's of increasing or lowering the limit.

Pros of increasing:

If we increased the limit, people could post more messages.
    They could contribute more towards the forum.

Cons of increase:

It could increase the amount of spam,
    People would be able to earn points easily.
    It could double the burden on the mods.
    Barely anyone even goes over the limit.
    Most posts are wasted by posting unnecessary things ex:(troll bridge, games, short posts, etc...)
    Allows people to put rubbish (they think quantity over quality)

At this point, it seems that the cons are greater than the other. If anyone has more to say, feel free to post.

Now to go onto decreasing. I can't think of anyone who wants to do this, but anyway...

Pros:
    Even less spam.
    Forces people to put quality into their posts.
    Makes people earn their points

Cons:
    People think they have less posts, and don't post as much.
    More whining and complaining.
    Too restrictive.
    Reduces the fun of a forum.

So in this case, they are very close, but Cons win.

So the results say that.....
    The limit is fine where it is. Adding a few extra posts won't make a difference, but adding 5 or so can go a long way when talking about 100's of people.

Personally, I think the limit is fine where it is. Makes people put quality into posts, but still lets them have a bit of fun. Makes them earn their points. Demonstrates that the main point of this forum is not the xat's.

So... If anyone has something to say, feel free to comment. I added a poll at the top.
    Oh and if anyone feels they're running outta posts quickly, check your timezone.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  17. Reggie

Reggie Limit Breaker

This is an interesting thread. I would have to agree on you that quality is better than quantity. Like I stated earlier, that we might think about posting more in detail because we are showing the moderators and administrators that we care a lot about what we post and that we are not posting just to earn Xats and experience points. I feel that it is okay to posts for xats and experience points, but the way we are doing it sometimes may seem careless. I have read a few of people’s posts and replies, and it shows that the some members had less quality in their posts. The “You’re Banned” is an example I have seen in the past. It is all right to play games that allows us with less quality, but the moderators are less likely to take us seriously if we repeatedly post under less quality. When you stated that one of the cons is that people would most likely to post less and feel that they cannot post because of restriction, this will really put the dedicated members to the test to indicate rather the dedicated members are really here to be dedicated or here for post counts. In conclusion, you made some good points about the consequences of lifting the posting limit. In addition, Phsycical may find it acceptable to posts to earn Xats, but he might not find it acceptable to spam.

18. krackers

krackers Inactive

I see you voted on "fine where it is". I aggree that we can post for xat's but that should not be the main focus of this forum. Which is to socialize and have fun. Not to be greedy and get xat's. Remember, that someone has to pay for the xat's, and that someone is not you. It is physical. The xat's are merely a "bonus" for contributing a lot (or not) to the fourm. It may be fine to post just for xat's, but I've found that people who post mainly for xat's have lower quality posts. They want to just "get the points" and go away. Reducing the limit would be a good way to find who really comes here to contribute. Every thing is on a weighing scale. If you put a lot of time into quality, you won't have a problem with quantity. If you put time into into quantity, you lose the quality. For most people, it is a balance between the two. For me, I have more than enough posts to make a lot of effort into quality at some points, and in others, to have fun and clown around in the games section. Anyone have anything else to say?

19. tomhammer3

tomhammer3 Inactive

You all know my side of the argument from my thread... but I guess I have to explain it again here...

I say that we have the limit be 25 until the members reach the "loading..." rank, in which the posts increase to 30, until they get to the "limit breaker" rank which it then increases to 35, and stays at that until we get a badge, thus we know that the loyal members who stay and contribute will be coming back and getting rewarded for their efforts all throughout their posts.

It's always easier to find cons than pros, but a few more pros of the increase in my way would be,

Still easy control of the forums by moderators and admins
    Identification of the active members
    Control of the points system

and to a couple of the cons of krackers...

People already use a lot of posts on games and troll bridge, the increase wont really affect the fact that people do it, it will only increase the amount by maybe 1-2 more posts per person, because they will still know that they are limited.

Doubling the burden on the mods wont happen, because as you can see even I have started to catch on to the proper grammar somewhat, and considering the moderators never really come on as much as they should, they really wont have double the burden at all.

20. krackers

krackers Inactive

That would be a good system, but barely anyone uses over 25 posts. And the people who do are the ones that emphasize on quantity. The way I see it, there is a scale with quantity and quality. If you choose quality, you will need time to think and write a good post. Around 5 minutes. It also includes only posting when you think it contributes. So that all equates to less than 25 posts.

Think of it this way. The constant is time.

Quality=More time used up. More time used up=closer to next day. Next Day=Start fresh.

Quantity=Quick and shorts posts=Barely any time used=Runs out of posts quickly. So when people say that they run over the 25 post limit, I find it hard to believe that they are putting quality into their posts. About the system. That would be nice, but even the people who can unlimited post use below 30.

Physical should make the point system judge quality People who just spam for points will then need to include quality.