Post limit...

Discussion in 'Questions Assistance & Feedback' started by tomhammer3, Jul 24, 2010.

?

Should we increase the Post limit to 30?

Poll closed Nov 6, 2010.
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. I don't care

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. tomhammer3

tomhammer3 Inactive

Sykikal: No action will be taken as a result of this thread. See http://videogameinfo.net/forums/showpost.php?p=25799&postcount=48 for a detailed explanation.

Well I understand thanks to psyhical that mods need a limit to be able to keep up with their reviewing and be able to give reasons, but to be honest I think that 25 is a little too low... It was driving me crazy that I couldn't post on the corrupt a wish thread when i saw the new posts... so I have a couple solutions to my problem that I'm sure some other people have faced:

1. We increase the limit to 35 so that the mods and admins can still keep up with their reviews, but we get more posts throughout the day and have more fun on the forums!

2. We decrease the 24 hour time it takes for people to be able to post again... maybe to somewhere around 15 hours... that way it gives time rotations for the moderators to be able to get on and review, and we get to post a little bit sooner so that we can benefit along with the followed requirements....

**NOTE: I don't recommend using both of these because then the problems solutions will cause a problem with the time frame from when we post to the time the mods are able to get on and review posts... meaning we would end up out-posting the mods.

I admit this is because I am a little impatient... but I also think that this will help keep the site more active more of the time...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
  2. krackers

krackers Inactive

Maybe 1 post per 8 seconds or something like that. I would go with the second choice.

Gah.. I've reached the Limit when I tried to post this. I had to wait 1 hour before I could post this one message.

The limit has got to go!

3. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

The posting limit is there for a reason and posts are worthless if they're just spam, most people are only posting for xats these days anyway. Whoever does that should be ashamed of themselves.

4. Reggie

Reggie Limit Breaker

In my opinion, the posting limited (25 posts per day) was good the way it is, but I never thought that lifting the posting limiit to 35 posts per day would increase the overall activity of the forum. On the other hand, the badge holders, who has unlimited posts does not change the overall activity of this site. I could be wrong.

5. dani

dani Inactive

phsycical*

and i think its perfect just the way it is.

6. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

I feel that the limit is fine the way it is. I would take you more seriously if most of your posts weren't back and forth conversations between you and your friends on the "You're banned" game. It seems the limit is doing it's job.

You could try being more moderate with your posts and putting more quality into them rather than trying to post as many times as possible.

With an 8 second limit someone could post 10,800 posts in a single day, so that'd be pointless.

7. krackers

krackers Inactive

x = 7 - unactive days

y = day 1 posts + day 2 posts....

(y*x)/x

check if the value of that is too high. If so, put on suspected spammer list.

Check if the value is lower than that of the last week, if so, disregard the new limit.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  8. Reggie

Reggie Limit Breaker

I was thinking, that since we are all on the idea of setting up a posting limit, I was thinking that people who are on a lower rank (the New User Rank) could make only three posts per day, until he riches 15 (I think that is how many you need to be a gamer). Once he/she reaches 15 posts, the person may post about 10 per day, then once he reaches to limit breaker, he could post 25 per day. After obtaining a badge, the person can have unlimited posting. What do you think of this idea? Do you think it will accomplish anything? Will it help reduce spamming? In addition, everyone should receive a notification of how many posts the individual can make per day. Each time someone ranks, he or she will receive another notification, until the person reaches his or her first badge.

Like I said, I like the 25 posting limit, and the way things are with the limit, so It's not big deal to me if it is changed or not. That is just my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  9. krackers

krackers Inactive

Actually... the 25 limit is perfect. I found why it was limiting me before 25. Make sure your timezone is correct.

10. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

What would the number resulting from y*x/x represent? Dividing is the opposite of multiplying, dividing by x negates multiplying by x. It would be like saying "Add x then subtract by x" or "Add two then subtract by two."

So, essentially the answer is "y", or the total amount of posts that someone has made in a week.

What would that number represent? What if there isn't a previous week to compare it to? Is this for the board or just for one user? What is the "New limit"? How would this formula effect the limit?

You need to explain this much more, and explain why it would help.

11. tomhammer3

tomhammer3 Inactive

I post there because it is one of the active threads, I actually try to be well rounded when it comes to posting but it's hard when people aren't posting on anything but the hot topics or the purely most recent thread and they ignore alot of the others.

My first idea was to allow more posts so that more people would be on at a time, to allow more well rounded posts, but to also make it so that spamming the forums is still semily hard to do by not increasing the limit past it's peak.

My second idea was to allow posts faster, but looking back on that I feel that the second idea is mostly based on me being impatient, because it would give less time for moderators to review...

So I mainly stick with my first idea in the sense that I expect many of the newer members who are active (to name a few; kaix, Artdragonblade, D3monE, Krackers, Poliwag, me, etc...) who usually end up reaching the 25 post limit will be on longer and more at a time, which would be increased site activity, not to mention that the more active the forums get, the more people start to spread the word about how good they are, and the more popular they get!

So i'm basically trying to say that if we can get more people on at a time, then we can get the forums more active and more popular. We would need longer possible activity to be able to get more people on at a time. I only mean good intentions on this idea because I actually do think it will help the site grow.

12. krackers

krackers Inactive

physical it was (y*x)/x parenthesis first. Anyway, I resolved why it cut me short of posts. Read the first page.

13. Kaix

Kaix Inactive

I think the posting limit being boosted up to 30 would be nice and a decent compromise. As for the timer on the limits wouldn't 12 hours suffice? I mean if you think on it, sure the staff needs to review everything but it could bring about more activity. Plus with the world being in different timezones it wouldn't be that much of a hardship. But if not that changed, at least the posting amount limit.

14. Reggie

Reggie Limit Breaker

The problem is that the majority of the people do not make at least 25 posts, which may narrow the moderator's review of spam examination, so it would be a little hard to lift the post limit when, in fact, that most people make less than 25 posts per day. I thought I was going to have 25 posts myself, but at the end, I had only 11, so I don't know if lifting the 25 posting limit will help a moderator's review.

15. krackers

krackers Inactive

Then in that case, if people use less than 25, what difference would it make to bump it to 30?

16. Reggie

Reggie Limit Breaker

Exactly, that is what I am talking about. Why would Phsycical allow us to post 30 posts when most people does not post that many?

17. Kaix

Kaix Inactive

It was a simple suggestion. Majority don't, but some do. It was more of a suggestion for those complaining about it. Whatever works.. If everyone is going to jump on another's ideas why not we make the limit for everyone? That way no one can complain~ .. that was sarcasm but anyway both of you missed the point. There are indeed people that make the post limit rather easily doing it without spamming, AND they aren't all in the forum game section. The 30 post limit was directed more at them.

18. Osama

Osama Inactive

What i'm lost what do you mean by (y*x)/x?

19. krackers

krackers Inactive

Nvmind that.. Anyway, hi osama! Good to see you here. And you should make an thread about yourself.

20. Osama

Osama Inactive

About my self i'm not important :P