Play a game for a week - Feedback.

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by CROWley, Jun 24, 2015.

1. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

So I was playing Minecraft, waiting for Primal to download and I thought of an idea to do with my backlog and the forums. This idea takes inspiration from several threads. Shatto's pick a game for me to play for a week, the current Game of the month threads, The Elder Scrolls thread and my previous idea to play a game and post my thoughts about it while I beat it. I've found some games I bought at random (Zedonia 3DS) or got with the Game with Gold program for the Xbox 360/Xbone (A World of Keflings, Red Faction: Guerilla) to be complete gems and I never would have played them or discovered them before.

The original idea was to pick a game and play it a minimum of 3 times a week and make 3, 30 minute to hour long video's. The idea kinda went further when I thought of some of the above threads. I'd play it a minimum of 3 times and post the 3 video's as well as a minimum of 5 screenshots. Each game would have it's own thread and if I like the game I'll keep playing it and if other people want to join, the more the merrier.

I'm not really sure if I should exclude games I've completed before. Every time I think of the Portal games, I think of how good they are and how I also have nothing to really say. I'll use my Backloggery account to pick games for the most part but I may take a few suggestions. I've purged my physical collection of turds for the most part but there's still digital games like Phantasy Star II.

I've decided I'll likely play whatever game the Backloggery throws at me, so long as I can actually play it. (Some games like Tetris: Splash), I don't really know what to say about but I could try. For the most part I'm thinking of PC games though my PC should be able to handle just about any of my digital games though next to none are on my Backloggery account.

I'm not sure what to do with a game after I've played it the mandatory 3 times/days. Maybe I'll take a break in between sometimes so it's not back to back games and it feels like a chore. I don't really want to wait for a week to end and a new one to start if I beat a game or stop playing it. I think I might just take a day to two break before going on to the next game. Let me know your suggestions

Two exceptions to this is Pokemon Colosseum. I purchased the game in late 2010 and I've beat it 4 times already. The other is Halo: Combat Evolved. I played through the Xbox version, got stuck on the 360 version and have no intention of playing the Xbone version. I absolutely detest that fucking game

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  2. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

You know something similar to this, people say they play games here but they almost never post about them, if so it's in the general going ons thread and it's like a sentence or two.

It really shouldn't be that hard to just post about what game you're playing, what's going on in the game, how you like it so far, stuff like that, almost no one will do that

Even when it's to vote on what someone ELSE will play, nope.

3. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

I personally find that playing games I've beaten in the past makes for better lets plays but that's just me. Anytime it's a game I've never beaten before I have to spend a lot of time wandering around or finding out where to go or breaking to lookup a walkthrough which makes it kind of boring. I guess it depends on the game though, linear games such as fighting games don't really pose this problem.

As far as my suggestion goes, kind of arbitrary, but Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge. It was a game I played a lot a while back so I'm familiar with it, but I'm not so tired of it to where I wouldn't want to watch it. I'm kind of curious to see how you'd handle an RTS.

You have a point. I haven't been playing video games as much in general lately due to work but I'll try to post updates about the ones I do play more often.

4. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Yes and we want to hear about your struggles, it's funny

I play RTS's but it depends on what game it is if I'm any good at it.

For example I'm better at Halo Wars than I am C&C3, but I'm better at C&C3 than Supreme Commander

You're usually pretty easy to get on board with new stuff, it's everyone else.

5. Knagg

Knagg Destroyer of Opinions

Back on the original post, I love this idea.

I wouldn't mind joining on this. Problem is, only system I have is the 3ds, but I'd be able to record on my phone and post them to YouTube. But I'm all for it.

Heck, I can start tomorrow. Either a game I have that haven't gotten around playing, or a cheap one off the Eshop.

6. Sykikal

You could hear about it all you want if you'd rejoin my Silent Hill 2 lets play. :rolleyes:

7. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

No no reading about it is enough, I don't need to personally witness it

8. Sykikal

What if no one happens to write about it? (I'm not going to point them out) You could be missing out. :O

9. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

You're supposed to write about your experiences during the game, anything notable, funny or confusing you remember, like our TES thread, just whatever we wanted

10. Sykikal

Hey, I said I'd write more not "anything and everything notable". In fact, that should be my new hook, like those shows that say "We'll reveal a promo code or some code you can enter to win at somepoint during the broadcast".

"Watch this entire lets play because I may or may not have messed up at some point during the lets play, I'm not going to tell you exactly at what point it occurred so you gotta watch all of it if you want to find out."