Nintendo says no to same-sex marriage in the upcoming Tomodachi Life

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Lavitz, May 9, 2014.

• by Lavitz, May 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM
  • Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

[​IMG]

Nintendo says they will not be allowing players to play as a gay character in their upcoming life-simulating game Tomodachi Life for Nintendo 3DS. Some eager fans of the game are a little upset that they will not be able to marry their real life partners' Miis within the game world and have launched a campaign to try and convince Nintendo to allow gay characters within the game.

Tomodachi Life has already been released in Japan and is a big hit there and the game is expected to launch in Europe and North America in June. Same sex marriage is also not legal in Japan, which explains why the feature wasn't present in the first place. It also means they would have to put more work into the game other than just translating it and the game is set to release in only a month. Perhaps they could release DLC in the future if this get enough attention, and it probably will.

Do you think this is an important issue? Should Nintendo change their game to include something that is still very controversial in our society and possibly damage their image?

• Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Lavitz, May 9, 2014.

1. Sykikal
    It doesn't impact me much one way or the other. I wouldn't mind same sex marriage being in the game but I can understand why it isn't in. A lot of people would complain about it.
  2. Seth
    Even in the Sims you can have same sex relationships. I've said it once, I'll say it again, as if anyone was actually going to buy this game.
  3. Shadow
    I'm obviously not going to buy this game but if I did I would have liked to see that "feature"
  4. Sykikal
    Why is it good?
  5. Outerspace
    It's good that Nintendo has the right to program their games how they want and don't have to conform to people bitching about gay rights.
    Unknown Entity likes this.
  6. Shadow
    Nintendo made Jinx how they wanted but people bitched about her being a black stereotype and had to change it when they were completely wrong about it being a negative stereotype
  7. Outerspace
    I love freedom of speech
  8. Shadow
    So do I but what does that have to do with it? Same thing happened with Mr. Popo in DBZ, he's purple now
  9. Sykikal
    I think Nintendo is going to pick the path of least resistance. They're a business. Whatever generates less complaints.
  10. Outerspace
    What I'm saying is companies shouldn't be forced by law to change things like those examples. I can understand if they change things because of sales but they should not be forced to.
  11. Shadow
    They're not being forced at all, no one is making Nintendo do it. A lot of people are just really disappointed they aren't doing it which means all those people are excluded from in game content.
  12. Outerspace
    I thought you were saying they were forced by law when you said "they had to change it"
  13. Shadow
    No, there is no "being too stereotypical" law. Shows like South Park are overly stereotypical and even racist but there is no law against that. What is being forced is a group of people being forced to marry a gender or fake mii in order to access game content that everyone else has no trouble getting to. If this was a single player game and wasn't so focused on marrying a real life friends/partners mii then it wouldn't be that big a deal
  14. Outerspace
    they aren't being forced to buy the game
  15. Shadow
    Of course but that's not the point, lot of people have been waiting for it, excited for it and now they're being excluded. Almost as if being black wasn't an option in game and in order to access game content you had to be white, sure you can fake it and make a white mii but it's not the same.
  16. Outerspace
    They're being "forced" to have straight marriages, just as they're also being "forced" to play as miis, or being "forced" to have in-game clothes.
    Oh the horror of playing a video game. Sounds oppressive.
  17. Sykikal
    Looks like a patch isn't happening but a sequel might include the content.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/c4FWbi-Uave2T9R1h7SFzX0aoa-d4pgx

I
    Shadow likes this.
  18. Shadow
    The point of the game is to play as a mii. Everyone knew that from the start, no surprise there. Being forced to wear clothes? That's a law almost everywhere and people don't generally have issues wearing clothes. Being forced to only marry the opposite gender in order to access in game content is somewhat of a surprise since the game revolves around simulating life and has a huge emphasis on relationships.

Most games force you to be a certain male or female protagonist and if you don't want to then don't play it but that's generally known off the bat. Not near release.