New domain, new theme.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Sykikal, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

The changes

New domain: Videogameinfo has recently moved to a new domain. From ∀ideo-game-info.com to videogameinfo.net .

For you, that means you no longer have to remember typing in dashes, but it also allows me to move to a new host (Since my previous domain was payed for through my old host).

Additionally, any page on ∀ideo-game-info.com will redirect to videogameinfo.net . That means any bookmarks of forum pages ∀ideo-game-info.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210 will still work, and simply go to videogameinfo.net/forums/showthread.php?t=210 . Please keep in mind that this may not be permanent, and it is advised you get used to typing videogameinfo.net in the event that the old domain is abandoned.

New color scheme. The forum and homepage now represent a dark blue background, with light blue or white text, instead of the standard wordpress/vbulletin. This is to give our site a more unique feel, and to make it more ascetically pleasing. Even the chat/stream pages have been redesigned to fit the new color scheme.

More advanced navigation bar: Previously we simply had a link to the forum and chat from the homepage via wordpress's built in navigation bar, and a few images at the top of the chat page linking to the forum and homepage, with nothing at all on the forum to help you navigate. There is now a more advanced navigation bar that appears on all the main sections of the site, making it easier for you to navigate around regardless of where you are on the site, and in addition to that, it's more uniform (appears everywhere), giving a cleaner appearance to the site.

In an unnecessary, but nice perk, the section of the bar that you hover your mouse over gets highlighted, making it easier to tell which section of the site you're about to go to.

Integrated Review section: There is now a review section of the site for all of the users write and comment on reviews. This allows you to make a header image, rate games based on graphics, sound, originality, gameplay, and their overall value. The best part is it's integrated into the forum, so there's no need to sign up again or keep track of multiple accounts in order to post your reviews.

Stream:There is now a stream section, which will allow me (and possibly some of the other users) to play games and broadcast them through the stream in realtime. Check back for more information.

Changes to usernames: While a minor deal, I felt it was worth mentioning some changes have been made to usernames. Colored names have been removed (Sorry!), this was due to some of the names clashing with the overall theme of the site. For example the blue names blended into the new theme too much, making them difficult to read. All usernames will have the same color now.

Additionally, the ** to represent administrators have been replaced with a yellow "(A)", the + to represent moderators has been replaced with (M), and the ++ to represent global moderators has been replaced with (GM). While most of the forum regulars realized what these symbols meant, I felt it might be confusing to some of the newer users of the forum, which somewhat defeats the purpose, (A), (M), and (GM) should be simple to recognize for even new users, pointing out who has authority on the site, and making it more difficult for them to be impersonated.

I have more changes planned, please give any comments or feedback (Good or bad), you have on the new site.

2. Emp

Emp Inactive

Hmm, I like the update very much with the new domain, I also like the color scheme it's better than the old one.

3. Reggie

Reggie Limit Breaker

The New Forum Domain

The new domain and site looks nice, and the new features you have provided sounds interesting, although I do not FULLY understand the whole meaning of the navigation feature. The stream (as some people has requested before) does make it seem fun than having a game site with no games at all. I am looking forward in getting use to the new features of the forum site.

One thing I do like about the new forum is that new users can navigate (as you said) around the forums, making it easier to find where you are. In addition, the Review Section looks nice for those who want to review their favorite video games. However, it would be nice if there was a “Strategy” (as G4TV tells you how to beat a mission or do tricks in the game) section that allow us to give advices and expert advices on how to, where to, or what to do in a specific aspect of a game. For example, if someone wants to know how to defeat Chaos 7 (from Sonic Adventures), or if someone wants to come in first place in the 150cc level in Mario Kart Wii, someone could post and give the person the tricks or guide to do so. This might boost the fun out of the forums.

Other than this, the overall production of this site may improve and be fun now that you have moved to a new domain. It might bring more people on this site now since you can type the forum’s domain easily.

4. Snow

Snow Dedicated Member

This is pretty cool.
    I really do like this new theme, and even the banner up the top.
    To me it just pops out more.

The colours are pretty cool.
    But I've seen on many other Forums, certain people (Moderators, Global Mods, Admin) Have "Crowns", so they have some sort of epic crown.

They also have like other ranks to like VIP, Respected Member etc which have certain icons also.
    They also have certain colour for their names down the bottom of the screen where it shows whose online.
    Like Yellow for Admin, Green for Global etc..

BUT TOP STUFF, I LOVE IT!

5. Forgottensoldier

Forgottensoldier Inactive

Like the new theme, its really a nice change of pace to the forum. Also congrats on the domain change.

6. Obsiviction

Obsiviction Inactive

This theme is very blue >_>

Never saw the original theme.

7. Courage

Courage Inactive

I like this update VERY MUCH! Before I used to type video-game-info.com then when it moved I typed the website faster and faster.:woop:

8. Hayden

Hayden Inactive

Well that's great a new domain from what it was :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.