Monthly Game Discussion #2 - Earthbound (June 1st- June 30th)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Sykikal, May 25, 2015.

?

Vote for the game we play during June

Poll closed May 30, 2015.
  1. BioShock Infinite

16.7%
  2. Borderlands 2

33.3%
  3. Earthbound

50.0%
  4. Half-Life 2

16.7%
  5. Limbo

33.3%
  6. Okami

16.7%
  7. Portal 2

50.0%
  8. Psychonauts

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Seth

Seth Fame Had An IV

I guess I'll probably start playing this soon. Everyone should probably use spoiler tags though.

2. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

Alright, cool, nice to get another player in. I suppose we could add spoiler tags, it's just that other than the initial voting phase, the entire thread is basically Earthbound spoilers, so we'd need to have a spoiler tag for every single post, I feel like doing that would sort of be intrusive. Maybe there's a clever way to decide which posts get spoiler tags and which don't, eg. Only adding spoiler tags if the posts go past a certain point in the game, or only adding it for "big" spoilers, eg. character deaths.

3. Fenrir

Fenrir Luminary of the stars!!

Just use them for huge plotpoints, not a big deal for anything else Imo

Edit: i got through the second sanctuary area ,i stuck around for a bit and grinded to get paula a bit higher in levels so she didn't die often and then i arrived in threed. gotta say...im starting to like the game more than i initially did.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  4. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

k i defeated the tent in threed and layed down the zombie paper, but now i need to use the hotel to further progress, and i don't have enough money :( gonna go grind i suppose

5. Sykikal

What's the best place to heal up in Earthbound other than home (restoring PP,HP), hospital? Hotel? Also, is it just me or does Bike not increase your speed at all? Is there anyway to walk faster?

Also, here's my current equipment. Not sure if there's something better I could have. I am still in the second town.

[​IMG]

6. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Don't use slingshots, pretty high chance of missing. Also, for how early in the game you are, I'd recommend you go to the game arcade with the Shark gang leader thing, he heals you

Edit: Use the hat trick thing i gave, with the boy beside the library. Really helpful.

7. Sykikal

So should I just use the cracked bat then? And he's back in the first town, kind of inconvenient, but alright. Still closer than the house. I just wish there was a way to walk faster than this.

8. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT, I finally farmed enough money to use a hotel, and what do you know? I FORGOT TO SET THE DAMN ZOMBIE PAPER!

sry for double post but i think posts about my game, and posts about your game should be seperated.

But yeah, cracked bat for now. If you really don't want to walk, then yeah use a hotel.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2015
  9. Sykikal

I've been looking for Paula or whoever I need to see in order to get further but I haven't been making much progress. I think this is where I got stuck back when I played Earthbound on the SNES around 20 years ago. I remember the ghosts and stuff that were blocking me from going through the tunnel. The path on the right seems like a dead end as well.

10. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

What town're you in? Try going north of that town.

11. Sykikal

I'm in the second town, Twoson. North leads back to Onett. Unless you mean I should go further north up to the bug place/giant step again.

12. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Ah, I was thinking of another town. Did you talk to Paula's parents (not sure if this is necessary, but just in case y'know.) ? Did you talk to Everdred? (left of the market)

13. Sykikal

I don't think so, if I did then I don't recall it.

Edit: Just talked to him, the guy to the left of the park told me that if I find Paula I should let him know. That's all. I also talked to Paula's mother, she just told me not to worry about her.

Edit 2: I found this guy selling hints for $50. He told me to invest in orange kid and apple kid's devices. Apple kid gave me a receiver phone, orange kid gave me some device that was supposed to help me in peace valley. I took it to peace valley, used it, and it broke. I don't really see how this did me any good.

Edit 3: After sleeping in the hotel I got a voice from Paula, she says she doesn't know where she is but she hears water nearby. I got a call from apple kid telling me about his new invention or something on the receiver phone, I went back, orange kid told me he was in the park, I went to the park and I can't find him.

Edit 4: Just realized I had a pencil eraser and I used that to get further. Looks like I'm finally making progress.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  14. Fenrir

So i got Jeff and went to saturn valley, im off to some place called fly honey factory, if anyone doesn't know how to get in check the spoiler tab below :O
    Really liking the game, has a certain charm to it, so easy to level up in this game though.
    The guy will ask for the password, all you have to do is put down your controller for three minutes and he will let you in.p

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  15. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Gosh freaking darn it, I totally missed the 2nd and 3rd Sanctuary :facepalm: I have to backtrack quite a bit now smh

16. Sykikal

I wasn't making progress quickly enough. I found out ZSNES has a speedup feature that can be enabled with a button press so I'm using that from now on to help me get through this (plus I feel like the walking speed is too slow and this helps get it up to a reasonable level).

I made it to Happy Happy town once and died from the cultists and then make it back, I'm looking for a phone so I can save somewhere. Though I might not find it. On the plus side I got some new gear from the market here. Apparently the leader here is some Carpenter so I'm supposed to find him based on what most of the people here are saying.

Edit: I beat the second boss, the big mole guy. I still can't seem to find that Carpenter guy. I've been looking for him and I keep running into these cultists, I'm on level 31 now. I went back to Twoson to the hint guy to buy a hint and all he said was "You shouldn't be wasting your time here. Don't you realize this is a crisis? Anyway I'll keep your $50." Wow, what a rip off.

Edit 2: Okay, I found out that I have to talk to those cultist guys in the headquarters to get them to move out of the way. After that I rescued Paula, then went back to Twoson. I got the wad of bills, went to that band, paid their bet, used their bus to get to the next town, went to the hotel, went in some weird realm, then I started controlling a new character, Jeff. His level is so low compared to all the other enemies.. I got to this cave but now I can barely beat the slug enemies without dying and the rats always kill me, running away only works part of the time. I don't know how I'm supposed to do this without a crazy amount of grinding. Jeff seems way too underleveled for this part.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  17. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Did you equip Jeff with anything? There's a few items you can find in his dorm house thing that you can equip.

Also, if you have any "Broken" items, give them to Jeff, and there's a chance he'll repair one of them while you go to a hotel/sleep.

18. Sykikal

Ah, no I didn't, that might have been the issue. All I have is the pop gun though, I'd have to travel back quite a ways to go back to the dorm.. might be worth it at this point though.

Edit: I can't go back to the dorm house.. I already took the dinosaur ride and he doesn't seem to be coming back.. at least I don't see a way to get him back. found a copper bracelet in a chest and have leveled up a bit, I'm on level 15 now. It's doable now. I can see the shiny part that indicates where the boss is, but I don't know how to get there, there's a rope but it's rolled up. Not sure how to climb up there.

Edit 2: Found out I had to use gum to do it. So I got up the rope, but I got to these cave boys.. I've grinded a ton but I can't kill any of them, they're too strong. Going down seems like a dead end, and I can't fight the boss with Jeff. I'll keep looking to see where else I can go.

Edit 3: Found it in the lab below. Got in the flying machine, now I'm back on track.

Edit 4: I used the zombie fly paper and got through that weird underground area and got to a city with a bunch of Mr. Saturns. Not exactly sure what to do in there. I see a platform up higher with a cave opening but I'm not sure how to get there.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  19. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Okay, I'm just a bit ahead of you. Talk to the Mr. Saturns, and one of them'll give you a hint, wink wink nudge nudge ;)

20. Fenrir

and if you still can't figure it out, read my spoiler tab :D