Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain discussion

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Lavitz, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

2. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

Okay made some more progress, mostly just doing side ops and leveling up my base. I have tons of S ranks now but only a few S+ and no S++, I never see S+ out on the field (pointy told me they don't appear). I see a few online combat deployment missions with them as reward, but even with a full team of S rank combat soldiers my odds of winning are low, so I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to make the jump from S rank to S+ or S++ other than maybe sending in a bunch of squads on missions they aren't qualified for and hoping some get lucky. All of my teams are in the 70s, except Security Team which is 52. I'm still not entirely sure what stat is used for leveling up security team (though making a guess that it'd probably be combat).

In the process of upgrading to the level 7 sniper, only about an hour to go, Although I've been trying to lower my deployment costs so I'm not even sure how often I'll be using it. I still don't have mission 46 unlocked, I tried to find online how to unlock it but I'm not really getting a clear cut answer. Some seem to think it's based on % complete. I have 65% complete at the moment. There are still a few side ops for me to do, mostly just higher ranking ones of the ones I've completed. I still haven't done the target practice ones on mother base, I sort of gave up on those.

I was looking for
    Paz
    , but since my base is larger now it's a bit harder to find her.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  3. Lavitz

I only had 53%

She's still on the main medical platform

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015
  4. Sykikal

Thanks, found her.

Maybe it's based on Extreme Missions? Other than that I'm kind of curious, how have the others been doing? Have they beaten the game yet(pointy, Miles, veng, shadowray7, etc., I haven't heard from them in a while). I'm missing:

39: Total Stealth: Over the Fence
    44: Total Stealth Pitch Dark
    47: Total Stealth: War Economy
    50: Extreme: Sahelanthropus

I've completed all the rest of the missions. I've also completed all the non-target practice side ops (that I've unlocked).

5. Fenrir

Fenrir Luminary of the stars!!

Beat the game a little while ago

6. Sykikal

I mean, did you complete y'all complete all the missions? How high are your base levels? Technically you could say the game is sort of beaten after you beat Sahelanthropus. There's a ton of extra stuff to do though.

7. Fenrir

Fenrir Luminary of the stars!!

i finished all the important shit up to the "true" ending and the quiet stuff. fuck the extreme missions and i couldn't be bothered to play anything else at the moment considering i have other games to play rn....so you could say i benched the game for the time being.

8. Sykikal

Ah, alright then thanks. So unlocking mission 46 isn't contigent on Extreme missions then. Maybe it has something to do with
    Paz
    or online invasions. That's the only thing I can think of that I haven't really done much. :hm:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  9. Lavitz

• I didn't fully upgrade my base
    • Maxed all partners
    • Finished
      Paz
      storyline
    • 53%
    • No repeat missions (Extreme, Stealth, etc)
    • I didn't play online at all
    • Listened to all tapes
    All I can think of.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015
  10. Sykikal

I finished listening to the tapes and mission 46 appeared, looks like it was the tapes after all. Thank you (and thanks to Miles to mentioned the tapes as well on Steam).

11. shadowray7

shadowray7 Resident Maki Worshipper

11/10 patch lets you
    Get Quiet back by completing Cloaked in Silence 7 times

This shouldn't be allowed.....

12. Sykikal

Really? That's pretty good news in my opinion. Why shouldn't it be allowed?

13. shadowray7

shadowray7 Resident Maki Worshipper

It cheapens the effect of Mission 45 on the player.

14. Sykikal

Mission 45 spoiler
    Eh, I guess that's a good point, it does kind of cheapen the effect of death in shows like DBZ where everyone constantly comes back to life, but I feel like in this instance they didn't really intend her to stay gone. If they had they'd have made it a lot clearer that she was actually dead.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  15. Sykikal

I was wondering about that too. Eli called him "Dad" but they did the DNA test and it showed that Eli wasn't his son. I basically completely agree with you. Like you said, the second half of the game felt a bit rushed, but it was nice to see that there was more to the game after the battle with Sahelanthropus. In terms of hours a lot of games probably could have ended it there, but it would have been nice if there was more to it.

I'm almost wishing they just took out the part of the story where Eli stole Sahelanthropus. It seems really weird to me to include something that big and not resolve it.

Yeah, agreed. I don't mind the concept of the tapes, but I would have liked to see them more as optional things and not stuff that is required to understand important elements of the story. MGS4 was kind of criticized for the large amount of cut scenes but I didn't mind them.

I haven't played either of the original Metal Gear games so I wouldn't know anything about that, but it is still pretty cool that they played that much attention to detail to resolve those points in the story.

Pointy and I went over this in the podcast. His main theory (and I agree with him) as to why Konami and Kojima had a big disagreement is because Kojima probably wanted to spend a lot more time and money on the game and Konami probably wanted him to hurry up and get it released. I remember in a previous interview he said he was sort of jelous of GTA in a way, how they were able to input some feature that their developers couldn't. As an interesting coincidence, GTA 5 was released just a few years ago with a tremendous 265 million dollar budget, more than any other game in history as far as I know. Kojima was probably frustrated that he couldn't implement all of his ideas and had to resort to using tapes instead of cut scenes, cutting out mission 51, etc. Microtransations are another aspect that I don't think Kojima would want to implement, but maybe was forced to after pressure from Konami. Again, this is all speculation since Konami is silent on it, but based on their trend of getting out of the gaming industry and their total silence, I tend to think they're more likely to be at fault.

Fenrir likes this.