Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain discussion

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Lavitz, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

Lots of us are playing this, so let's have a thread for it.

Mark all spoilers using spoiler tags and have the mission number outside of the spoiler so we'll know if it's safe to click.

Example:

Big Boss shoots some guys

I'm enjoying the game so far, it's huge compared to previous MGS games and takes a lot of things I enjoyed about Peace Walker/Ground Zeroes and improves it. The open world is really nice because Side Ops can be started any time you want, as long as you're in the right area and there's plenty to explore to find materials to upgrade your base. Out of all the MGS games, I think this one has the best balance between gameplay and story, you can easily get sidetracked and spend hours exploring and completing optional stuff. I am noticing what people were saying about Big Boss being mostly silent, but maybe that changes later in the game.

I can't wait to play more, I have so many questions already after seeing that crazy intro. I suggest listening to tapes as soon as you get them as well, they answer a lot of the questions you might have that haven't been addressed in cutscenes.

So we rescued a guy who was being questioned about his village burning down, I think this has some connection to Psycho Mantis because he burned down his village as a child after finding out his father hated him/blames him for his mother's death. It's also further proof that the gas masked child is Psycho Mantis.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    Sykikal likes this.
  2. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

Might be an obvious question but how do we find out what our mission number is?

3. Lavitz

Check your iDroid, it also says which mission you're on when you start it.

4. Sykikal

Okay, again probably missing something obvious but I looked around and I don't really see it. Maybe you can point it out? I see the name/objective but not numbered missions.

http://i.minus.com/icpd97ZLpjBsF.png

5. Lavitz

[​IMG]
    :suicide:

6. Sykikal

Oh yeah checked there (probably where I should have screenshotted to start with, sorry about that.) Again I see objectives and such but not a numbered mission.

http://i.minus.com/iQrzX2KazsZJT.png

7. Lavitz

You don't have any missions because you haven't finished the first mission.

8. Sykikal

Okay seem to not be doing too well on this game :XD:.

It took me a long time to find Miller. At least I'm making some progress though. I was already pretty reckless when it comes to triggering alerts and this seems to have increased it significantly. The guards are triggering alerts right off the bat, or maybe it's just that I was playing in normal in previous installments and this game doesn't really have the same difficulty settings. I don't know, something seems different though, it's way more punishing. In MGS4 I could just barge through it rambo style even though at its core it's a stealth game, here I can't really do that, or at least not yet because I haven't unlocked the weapons to do it. I guess that is a more accurate reflection for a stealth game but it means I'm going to have to change my playstyle. I don't know if I should just use the chicken hat as a crutch for now. I mean I kind of feel like I'm hampering my enjoyment of the game by removing the challenge, but I also don't want to spend forever trying to get through the same mission.

The game overall is looking great in terms of graphics, I'm not sure if I've played enough of the gameplay to say much about it but seems good so far. There are little things like how when I switch the camera angle the sound adjusts as well (eg. I can hear characters better when I am viewing at their front, as if I am camera man standing within the game). I'm also glad to see the fullton recover stuff and base building from Peace Walker is back, one of my favorite aspects about the game.

Edit: I have a ways to go but I'm kind of getting the hang of it. I triggered three alerts but I managed to get through the forth mission without the chicken hat.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  9. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

What the heck,
    Paz
    is still alive? Wow, I did not expect that.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  10. Sykikal

Unless you're talking about Big Boss mark mission number please.

11. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Not sure if you can get the cutscene after a certain mission or if you can get it at anytime, but it's at Mother Base, Medical Platform to be more specific.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  12. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

[​IMG]

NOTE: Not my friends

Guess the game is pretty popular, even PCMR has a stickied megathread for all PP posts. Sucks it'll be a while before I actually get to play since I have to start from the beginning of the series :P

13. shadowray7

shadowray7 Resident Maki Worshipper

When you get to Africa make sure you do the side ops "Extract the Legendary Gunsmith."
    The sidequest chain leads to a unit who will allow you to customize weapon parts. And give them camos too.
    It let me put my silencers from another weapon on my Tranq Rifle early.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    Lavitz likes this.
  14. Lavitz

I did this, and I think it might not have a mission restriction, so I advise everyone to go to the medical platform and find the open door on the 3rd floor. It seems to be connected to one of the Side Ops where you have to extract the crazy former MSF members who try to attack you when you get close, I finished three of them and got special items which are used after you find
    Paz to help bring back her memories

15. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Sort of wondering why she still has scars even after 9 years.

16. Lavitz

You have those kind of scars for life, ever see someone with open heart surgery scars?

Seth likes this.
  17. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Assuming Big Boss goes infertile, how does Solid Snake end up existing?

18. Lavitz

He was already born. Solid is the same age as Eli. Although it hasn't been revealed yet, everything points to Eli being Liquid Snake, Solid's twin brother and the genetic test will prove it.

19. Lavitz

Wow. That was pretty awesome. I don't know what happened with the Man on Fire, that part was kind of strange. Psycho Ginger turned on Skull Face, didn't see that coming, and he mentioned something about revenge.
    Skull Face also said "he only exists because of you" but I don't know if he was talking about the kid or the Man on Fire. Is it possible that he can't even see the kid? He seemed confused when Metal Gear activated and started stomping his men.

The fight with Metal Gear Sahelanthropus was amazing, maybe the best boss fight in the series so far. The best way I could find to beat it was destroying the 4 tanks on its back then shooting missiles at its chest when it lit up.

Seems like we've seen mostly everything that was shown in the trailers, I'm looking forward to the rest of the game because I don't know what's going to happen (and I looked away during the chapter 2 preview).

20. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

It's pretty funny if you go back to previous missions and kill the targets like Miller and Quiet