Killstreaks or Deathstreaks?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Sykikal, May 14, 2016.

?

Killstreak or Deathstreak?

1. Killstreak

50.0%
  2. Deathstreak

50.0%
  1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

When I use the terms "Killstreak" and "Deathstreak" I immediately think of Call of Duty, but I'm not just talking about them or even Killstreaks or Deathstreaks, but the general notion of how rewards and punishments are dolled out based on performance. With some games like Call of Duty, Smite, League of Legends, I feel like you're given big rewards for doing well, so it creates somewhat of a cycle where the good players get harder and harder to kill and build up longer streaks, although getting the streak is skill based in the first place.

Other games have more of a "Deathstreak" based reward system where you get rewarded based on how badly you do. These games almost never make the rewards so good that it is worth throwing the game to get, but they just make it so it's less of a hit if a player does poorly. Games that immediately come to mind are Mario Kart and Mario Party. These games in a sense "punish" the players who are in the lead, and reward those in last, which essentially "equalizes" the game, and gives less skilled players a fighting chance, but you could argue that it's rewarding players for doing bad and leads to games where the less skilled players tend to win more often than they should based on their abilities.

So, what's your preference? Do you think a Killstreak based reward system is the best approach, or a Deathstreak based reward system?

2. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

Depends on the game. I think Mario Kart/Party is fine because they're casual games anyone can play, and are more about having fun with friends.

I used to like Killstreaks in Call of Duty, it made me want to be good at the game. If I were playing against friends, then I'd want killstreaks turned off so everyone has fun. Online it doesn't really matter, I don't know these people so I'll gladly make their experience as terrible as possible as long as my teammates and I are having a good time :D

MOBAs are more skill based so I think rewarding good play is fine, there are ways for players to catch up in level/gold by killing minions anyway.

Things like having a live grenade drop when you die or spawning with temporary invincibility after deathstreaks are dumb and shouldn't be in multiplayer games.

3. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

Can you clarify this a bit? I haven't played Call of Duty that much so I probably wouldn't know exactly what the negative impacts on gameplay are, but the past few Mario Kart games have had online multiplayer. Why is it that FPS games Call of Duty couldn't also be about having fun with friends or something a little less competitive?

4. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

They're very different games and it's hard to compare them. All I'm saying is it depends on the game. I think the "deathstreak" style rewards work in Mario, but "killstreak" style rewards work better in FPS or MOBAs.

If you're playing against people you don't know, I think rewarding skill should be the most important thing. You don't know these people, you shouldn't care about whether or not they're enjoying losing and you probably won't be playing against them again. You're there to win. Kinda selfish maybe, but they can just get better at the game if they don't want to lose so badly.

My opinion might change on Mario Party if it ever does get online, but usually you'll be playing that with friends since it only has local multiplayer. In Mario Kart, I think it's fine the way it is. I guess I'm not the right person to ask about either of those because I don't enjoy playing them against random strangers like I would in an FPS or MOBA. At least in those games everyone can have fun because the people in last still have a chance of getting ahead, and the best part of Mario Party is the minigames anyway.

In games like Call of Duty, it's usually very annoying being on the losing team, especially if the other team is getting a lot of killstreak rewards and there's no way for you to get ahead. I'd want them turned off if I were playing with friends because of that.

Sykikal likes this.