[Jun 27, 2015] Weekly Game Night #20 (Online)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Sykikal, Jun 22, 2015.

You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
Weekly Game Night #20
Confirmed Attendees: 1
Posted By: Sykikal
Start Date: Jun 27, 2015 06:00 PM
End Date: Jun 28, 2015 12:00 AM
Time Zone: America/Los_Angeles -07:00 PDT
The following users have RSVP'd "Yes": 1
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":

The following users have RSVP'd "No":
  1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

Thanks to azure for sending theHunter: Primal to HaxAras, Miles, and me. I appreciate it:).

If you restate your vote in the thread and RSVP "maybe" or "yes" that game is given priority. No promises but I'm more likely to put that game in. I listed "votes" for 100% Orange Juice because all these people have the game/asked me for it/asked shadowray7 for it. I am assuming they're interested in playing it. If you're not interested in playing the game on game night let me know and I'll remove your vote.

As for HaxAras, if you want the game I have a spare copy add me on Steam so I can trade it to you. You can remove me again later.

_____ azure Ezreol HaxAras Lavitz Miles Numb Pine shadowray7 Shadow Sykikal vengvong Wolfey
    Week 1 _____ 1 _____ _____ _____ 1 1 _____ 1 1 _____ _____
    Week 2 _____ 2 _____ _____ _____ _____ 2 1 2 2 _____ _____
    Week 3 _____ _____ _____ _____ 1 _____ 3 2 3 3 1 _____
    Week 4 1 _____ _____ _____ 2 2 _____ _____ 4 4 2 _____
    Week 5 2 _____ _____ _____ 3 3 _____ _____ _____ 5 3 _____
    Week 6 3 _____ _____ _____ 4 _____ _____ _____ 5 6 4 _____
    Week 7 _____ _____ 1 _____ 5 _____ _____ _____ 6 7 5 _____
    Week 8 4 _____ _____ _____ 6 4 _____ _____ 7 8 6 _____
    Week 9 _____ 3 _____ _____ 7 _____ _____ _____ 8 9 7 _____
    Week 10 5 _____ _____ _____ 8 5 _____ 3 _____ 10 8 _____
    Week 11 6 _____ 2 1 9 6 _____ 4 _____ 11 _____ _____
    Week 12 _____ _____ 3 _____ 10 7 _____ _____ 9 12 _____ _____
    Week 13 _____ _____ _____ 2 11 _____ _____ _____ _____ 13 9 _____
    Week 14 7 _____ 4 _____ _____ _____ 4 _____ _____ 14 _____ _____
    Week 15 _____ _____ _____ _____ 12 _____ _____ _____ _____ 15 10 1
    Week 16 A:1 _____ _____ 3:1 13:1 _____ A:1 A:1 10:1 16:3 11:1 A:1
    Week 17 M:0 _____ 5:1 M:0 14:2 _____ _____ A:1 M:0 17:3 12:1 _____
    Week 18 Y:0 A:1 M:0 M:0 M:0 _____ _____ _____ 11:2 18:3 13:1 A:1
    Week 19 _____ _____ 6:1 _____ M:0 _____ _____ _____ 12:2 19:3 14:1 _____

Potential games (Games need at least 4 votes to be considered)

100% Orange Juice 7- (Sykikal, shadowray7, vengvong, Numb, Pointy, Shadow, Marly)
    Smash bros for Wii U - 7( Pineapplease, Sykilal, Lavitz, Numb, Miles, azure, HaxAras)
    Smite - 6 (Lavitz, Numb, azure, Sykikal, Pineapplease, Shadow)
    Mario Kart 8 - 6 (Sykikal, vengvong, azure, Lavitz, HaxAras, Miles)
    Epicmafia 6- (Marly, Sykikal, shadowray7, Shadow, vengvong, Lavitz)
    Cards against humanity 5(Pineapplease, Sykikal, Miles, Shadow, vengvong)
    Team Fortress 2- 5 (vengvong, MisterWolfey, Sykikal, Pineapplease, Shadow)
    Tetris 4 - (HaxAras, Sykikal, vengvong, Numb)
    League of Legends -4 (Sykikal, Numb, Miles, azure)
    CS: Go - 4 (Numb, Sykikal, Shadow, Miles)
    theHunter: Primal - 4 (azure, Sykikal, HaxAras, Miles)
    Diablo 2 - 4 (Miles, Sykikal, Shadow, MisterWolfey)
    Slendertubbies - 4 (Shadow, vengvong, bella, MisterWolfey)

Close games (need one or two more votes to be considered)

Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn - 3 (Sykikal, Lavitz, Miles)
    Damned - 3 (Shadow, azure, Sykikal)
    Killing Floor - 3 (Numb, shadowray7, Shadow)
    Mario Party (project 64 online 3 (Sykikal, Marly, Miles)
    Quake Live - 3 (Sykikal, Shadow, MisterWolfey)
    Chess - 3 (HaxAras, Sykikal, MisterWolfey)
    Splatoon - 3 (HaxAras, Miles, Numb)
    SWAT 4 - 2 (Sykikal, Shadow)
    Castle Crashers - 2 (Sykikal, HaxAras)
    Pokemon Y/X/ORAS - 2 (HaxAras, Sykikal)
    Destiny (PS4) - 2 (Sykikal, azure)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  2. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Is there a limit to how many I can vote for?
    100% Orange Juice
    Epicmafia
    CaH
    Tetris

basically games that i can multitask with

3. Sykikal

So you can play 100% Orange Juice then? That's good, I knew I gave it to you, I was just worried the Mac/lack of PC might be an issue.

As for your question, there's no limit. You can re-vote/re-affirm as many games as you'd like. It isn't a set formula but I might take a vote more seriously when there are less of them though.

4. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

I have a toaster laptop that runs both Windows & Steam, it'll probably work out. If that doesn't work, then I can always convert my Mac to a PC.

5. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

I'd like to try out that Orange Juice game but I have no idea how to add you and wouldn't we need to be added to play together anyway?

I also really wanna play Primal. It looks fun as all hell.

Edit: Throw my votes in for Castle Crashers and Terraria for Xbox 360 and Steam if anybody has them.

6. Sykikal

We don't really need to have each other added to play together, but it makes sending invites and communicating easier. I sent you a friend invite, I think you just need to accept it.
    Same, I want to play this too. I'll probably have it in on the schedule this week. Hopefully we can get the four of us in (assuming Miles feels like playing it:hockeymask:).

I have Castle Crashers on 360 but I don't think I'm willing to renew my Xbox Live Gold subscription. I might be willing to get the game on PC since it is pretty cheap now a days provided it gets more votes.

Terraria isn't my first choice because I hate dealing with Hamachi and those other Lan programs but if gets the votes and other people want to play it I suppose I'll tolerate Hamachi.

7. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

I have a 14 day trial code but I'd hope that whoever I gave it to would have a couple games we could play together.
    Drop me from Terraria if it requires some extra program to play.

8. Sykikal

Tentative schedule (subject to change and all that). Doing a first based on pointy's suggestion and just letting people decide the game on the fly rather than scheduling it in advance. Since the Primal is a new game, and we don't even know what we're doing at 6PM yet, I'm making the starting time schedules a bit looser as well to account for the unpredictable variation in people's scheduling and people's enjoyment. Lets see how it goes.

6PM we'll see who attends and decide then.
    7:00-7:30 PM start time theHunter: Primal ( start time depends on how much we're enjoying the mystery 6PM game)
    8:00-9PM start time 100% Orange Juice (start time depends on how much we're enjoying Primal)

9. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Crud, don't think I'll be able to attend Game Night, and even if I do, just the first game. Mom found out that I failed 3 classes :/

10. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

STOP FAILING!

11. Sykikal

I am curious, what is your goal when you go to school? Is it that you only go because your parents made you and you just want to get it over with? Are you just trying to do the bare minimum to pass? Do you even care if you reach that threshold?

If it were me, i would at least try for a bit above a passing grade. If you don't care about your education at least consider that it's less effort to pass than than it is to deal with your parents. You only need 50% right? That is an F here. I think you can easily get a passing grade if you put in a little effort.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Shadow likes this.
  12. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Failed one class (Socials) because the teacher didn't mark the work I did do, and marked the ones I didn't do. Then she fuckin goes on maternity leave, so I'm stuck w/ the new teacher, and 7%. I don't even understand how they ended up marking, because the teacher told me that if I aced the finals, my mark would go up only by 3%, whereas other people's marks went up higher than that.

Second class I failed wasn't an academic (Tech Ed), and I failed it because I was focusing on other classes.

Third class I failed (English), I blame a few things: My lack of creativity, and the fact that I skipped a month's worth of classes.

My goal is to pass, obviously. I go because I thought it would make me look bad if I didn't, and school is the only reason why I have (irl) friends. English and Socials isn't my forte, and Math and Science is. Two easy classes first semester, and two harded classes second semester wasn't that good of a schedule for me.

I blame myself for failing English, and I don't blame myself for failing Socials.

13. Sykikal

Ones you didn't do? There was homework you didn't submit?

On a somewhat related note http://www.videogameinfo.net/forums...ng-for-vacations-for-getting-knocked-up.4897/

Have you tried explaining it to your new teacher? Get something worked out. I'm having trouble understanding all the details involved in this, maybe it's a miscommunication and the new teacher isn't even aware of the old arrangements you had.

Pretty much everyone is expected to handle multiple classes. It's not as if your schedule is so jam packed that you didn't have time for the class.

o_O Of course you didn't pass it if you skipped a month's worth of classes.

It isn't all that obvious to me. I mean of course anyone would rather pass than fail, but it doesn't sound like you're willing to put in the effort you need to in order to pass. If you're having trouble with an assignment I can help. I won't do the homework for you and can't guarantee I'll know everything about it but maybe I can give you some pointers or answer simple questions.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  14. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Literally 6 assignments only. I handed everything else in I needed for the semester, and all those assignments got a pretty well mark for those assignments IMO.

Oh, I forgot to mention. My tech ed class didn't have many people (~10 people), so my teacher combined it with an Electronics class who didn't have many people either. I did the tech ed portion, and focused on other classes during the Electronics portion, because I found it pretty tough, and I took Tech, and not Electronics.

15. Sykikal

RSVPs for this week were kind of low. I'm considering taking a break from game night for next week and holding the 21st game night on the following week since it's 4th of July. I don't think most people are going to want to attend game night.

Is there anyone here who does want to attend next week who wants game night to continue to be held on that day?

16. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

Maybe skip next week and make the following week take place on Sat and Sun. Have it start at the usual time and people vote for the games they want to play on those 2 days. Let people organize into smaller groups. Maybe 2-3 people will play 1 game for 3 hours while another group of 3 plays several games.

Remove any time limits or 'We'll play this game for this long'. The best way I can describe that, is it makes it feel like a chore or routine. Gaming is about passing time and having fun. That just feels like work.

Now all you need to do is get the 'People'
    worthless, unreliable sacks of shit who infest this site
    to show up or participate. Or at least post reasons why they don't want to. Can't improve it without feedback.

17. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Depends what games, and who's participating, but my answer for now is no.

18. Sykikal

HaxAras/CROWley and pointy both seem to be suggesting that I take a more "wait and see" approach with game night. That is to say, rather than scheduling games in advance I just have a basic starting time, then once the people show up we decide among ourselves which games to play and for how long.

I personally like the schedule and would rather do that, the problem seems to be that the games on the schedule sometimes require 3-4 people to be fun and most people just RSVP "maybe" and show up at various times throughout the night, if they show up at all, so it's hard to get a group together for a specific game. Which is fine, I get that this is just a casual thing and people don't want to treat it like it's a job. I just have to work with what I have. I'm looking for sort of a pre-RSVP thing now (eg. I'm looking a few people to confirm that they will be attending next week, July 4th), and if I don't get that I'll probably just hold off on game night for this week.

19. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

I was going to suggest you could try the 2 day thing. Have a schedule on Sat and none on Sunday but you can't test anything when most people never show up. Remember when we all used to play Monopoly and we'd play it all the time? Because it was fun. Game night just isn't really fun.

But how do you make it more fun? Fewer games? Less game nights? Maybe you could cancel game nights that don't have enough people or just have a thread where people post games they'd like to play with others and play at will. That way you don't have to worry about getting enough votes.

20. Sykikal

I think whatever happens here builds on itself. Sometimes 8-10 people show up, in that case it's a lot of fun and people are more likely to come back the following week. If only a few people show up, then people kind of don't have fun and lose interest the following week so that builds on itself too. I know I've been overly pushy with people to attend, and I'm not saying that was the right call on my part, but that's the reason why I have been pushy about it.

It's really difficult for me to predict how certain actions will impact game night, especially when most people don't want to bother to give feedback on it. It could be that holding off on it for a week makes people miss it/like it more and concentrates the users all in one week. That is to say instead of 4 people one week and 4 people another week we get 8 people in one week and everyone has more fun, or it could be the opposite in that people show up expecting game night, then they realize that it isn't going on, so they find other things to do during their Saturday nights and start to lose interest and move onto other things. I'm concerned that if I cancel game night frequently at the last minute it'll make the regulars who do RSVP/show up lose interest and plan other things for their Saturday night because they don't want to set aside time for something that may or may not happen. I feel a weekly schedule is a lot easier for people to remember and keep in their heads than a biweekly schedule, and that having it every week at a specific time makes it easier for people to just show up and know game night is going on, like they can with TV shows, but I'm just speculating.

Anyway, I've held it every week for several hours and it seems like activity for it has sort of waned. Maybe it'll work maybe it won't but I won't know until I try.