Is there something you miss about classic games?

Discussion in 'Classic gaming' started by Sykikal, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

Is there any aspect of classic games that you feel aren't prevalent in modern games? Maybe the increased difficulty, lack of explanation, lack of save points, retro style graphics, the controllers, etc.

Is there something that you feel was present in classic games that is missing from modern games?

2. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

I kinda miss the simplicity. I remember staying up late when I was maybe 9 with one of my moms boyfriends (thought he was my real dad at the time) playing Super Mario Bros and just taking turns trying to pass the game. I miss the retro graphics a bit and maybe the music as well. I do feel modern games are not as hard with all the check points and saving mechanics, Hand some 10 yr olds Super Mario Bros today and I'd like to see them ask where the analog sticks are and die over a dozen times and not get frustrated because there is no save system.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  3. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

Pre-rendered backgrounds, especially in RPGs. This is one of the reasons I'm excited for Bravely Default because it has the same style as PS1 JRPGs.

4. Nin10dO

Nin10dO Inactive

I kind of agree with Shatto. I miss how simple games were back then. Despite the simplicity, they were very entertaining. The games nowadays are too nice with the spawn points and I had gotten used to it. Now I get mad when I get spawned back and have to redo like 3 minutes all over again. Before, I would have to do about 15 - 30 minutes and it involved a lot of trial and error. It also felt more rewarding to complete games back then. A lot of excitement in me died when getting a new game. Before, I would open the game in a desperate attempt to play it before I reached my house, but now I can literally pick up a game and wait until the next day to play it; the excitement is just not there anymore. But I'm pretty sure that has something to do with age.

5. Super Smash Bros. Fan

Super Smash Bros. Fan My first forum...

Yes...

I missed when I enjoyed modern video games. I used to spend hours upon hours playing video games, not having a care in the world. The N64 will always remain my favorite console because it introduced me to video games and to this day, I still cherish it as among my favorite memories of my childhood. Nowadays, it's difficult to get excited for anything; all the excitement I once had for video games are dying. The only video game I'm looking forward to now is SSB 3DS & Wii U; once that is done, I don't intend on following another video game again. Various bad practices such as abuse of DLC, DRMs, microtransactions, as well as abuse of online and season pass have contributed to my loss of interest in modern video games.

I will always love the medium though. After SSB 3DS & Wii U, I intend to start retro gaming. I'd prefer to not have to worry about if a game is going to be incomplete because publishers wants to squeeze more money out of gullible or sycophants gamers who will defend anything the company does. Perhaps if things get better will I return to supporting the modern video game industry again, but for now, I'll need a break from it.

Shadow likes this.
  6. BoldHeart

BoldHeart Loading...