I think VGI needs a new name.

Discussion in 'Questions Assistance & Feedback' started by CROWley, May 5, 2014.

1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

Rare is subjective. I just posted one a few days ago about Call of Duty. Seems to me like the problems are kind of trivial considering they've already been corrected and them having an occasional typo doesn't negate the info provided.

I don't just mean a post here and there, I meant almost every post. For example, the post I'm making right now is providing information.

I didn't claim to be a hub. I didn't claim to be a huge branching site. I didn't claim to have all the information about every video game. It's a small site that provides some information on some video games. I don't really see a problem with the name nor do I see the benefit of changing to a new name. Other than Lavitz's Tiger Festival joke I don't think anyone has even posted a serious name suggestion.

2. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

I still think we need OVERALL video game information, new and old and not just about new JRPGS, Nintendo stuff and CoD. I don't think I've seen an article on a PC game. I'm not saying that because I'm all PCMR but because it does involve video games and we don't have a very active PC game presence here, it's mostly consoles and handhelds only (regardless of the amount of trash the PC topic has) hell we could even use some browser game information but again because we have so few actually active video gamers (not just LoL or tetris here and there) we're not likely to have a lot of people who want to play all kinds of games.

So you're just a small site/forum that has "some" video game information? Information that can be found elsewhere? I'm not really seeing the staying point for new members here. I mean I could argue that if the community was great they might stay for that but it's not that great either. That reminds me, a slogan for VGI might be nice to have too.

3. Sykikal

I would like to do this but I'm getting more and more limited in terms of time. I'm trying to handle streaming/lets plays/articles while still being active to the chat/forums and playing the occasional video games on top of looking for work and handling other social activities outside the site. I'm only one person and there's only so much I can do.

You're right, there currently isn't really a big staying point for new members. I sort of adopted "A place for video games and those who play them" as the unofficial slogan after Lavitz thought it up for the chat description. We do not have a huge draw or reason for new members to come here unfortunately which is why I no longer really expect VGI to become a huge or popular website.

4. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

You need to set a schedule then and you also don't need to stream or make LPs every day. Maybe once a week. I know there's only so much you can do which is why I'd really hope for the other members to help themselves with this too but I doubt it'll happen. The site still feels like just a hangout that a select few people come on to chat with each other and then leave. Some of us also tend to be very picky about what games we play. I've been playing Payday 2 for the past week, have logged at least 50 hours this week. (have about 150+ total hours) I'd have no trouble switching over to some platformer for the same amount of time and dedication if need be.

For your articles, you don't want them posted word for word but if you look at most sites they will have their article posted word for word and at the bottom list the source of the original article. There really is no reason to change it up. It's not plagiarism if you post the source and don't claim it to be your original work. Until you can maybe hire some article writers you're not going to get much seeing as you don't have any kind of inside source. More people might be willing to post articles if we didn't have to change up what was already stated perfectly fine.

5. Sykikal

I'm already streaming more than once a week. Would streaming/making LP less often but on a schedule help?

Yeah, that's the problem, not that many other people are willing to do much.

I'm not sure I understand. What does you playing Payday 2 have to do with this?

Yeah, I guess I could do that.

6. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Yes, for you. You don't want to get burnt out doing it every day. It'll keep you fresh
    Wish there was some way to remedy this :hmm:
    I was just pointing out how stubborn some gamers here can be when trying other games and how I can go from a fast paced FPS to a possibly more relaxed platformer with just as much dedication, that means watching videos on different play styles, tips, glitches etc and completely absorbing myself into learning all about the game, I think that's probably just my learning style though. I always aim to learn all I can about what I'm doing. :read:

7. WasNotWhyNot

WasNotWhyNot idiot visionary

being adverse to different games is not a symptom exclusive to VGI

gaming is more involved so learning and enjoying other genres doesn't seem to be worth people's time.

ranting about entry levels and casuals most definitely isn't the point of this topic, though

8. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

It was more about how locked most people are on here to their specific games which results in us not playing games as a group where we could potentially meet new members. We'd have more in common to talk about etc. It's like throwing people together who only like one specific thing, they're not going to be able to play together or talk about anything other than a general concept of video games.

9. Outerspace

Outerspace Plebian

You can never satisfy everyone

Shadow likes this.
  10. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

I think I changed my stance here, I absolutely think VGI needs a new name, I doubt Hax will see this though since he left already

11. Sykikal

Such as?

12. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Anything other than Video Game INFO

Maybe:

Sykikal And Lavitz's Place - SALP

Video Games And Bad Jokes - VGABJ

Video Games Not Taken Seriously - VGNTS

Just Another Half Assed Video Game Forum - JAHAVGF

Video Games Something We Know Nothing About - VGSWNNA

A Random Place For Random People To Hang Out And Do Nothing - ARPFRPTHOADN

Video Games We Pretend To Like Them Because We Have Nothing Else To Do - VGWPTLTBWHNETD

Anything really, I like the first and second the best

CROWley likes this.
  13. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

It sucks that you have no sense of humor, that must be pretty tough to live with. Video games shouldn't be taken as seriously as you think they should be, they're for your enjoyment and your life shouldn't revolve around them. There are plenty of video game forums out there, if you think this one is half assed then that is too bad, maybe you'll have better luck with a different one. Saying that video games are something we know nothing about is just wrong, you may know some things but I know that there are people here who know way more than you so you can get off that high horse any time.

It's pretty obvious that you're only making this post after you reported a post that you didn't like and I rejected the report. It's not there so you can remove posts you don't agree with or feel that they aren't serious enough for your serious video game discussions

14. Outerspace

Outerspace Plebian

We should change the name to Dancing Aliens Info :swag::swag2:

Shadow likes this.
  15. Sykikal

I just see this as a way to criticize the site more than it is a legitimate name suggestion. I don't think most sites that are about a specific topic focus solely on that topic or that every user involved in that topic only talks about that topic. It isn't unusual for sites to branch out. Like Lavitz said, there are people here who do know about video games. Yes, we're not solely about video games but I don't really see this as a problem. I mean, should I ban everyone who doesn't discuss video games often enough or delete all the posts that aren't video game related?

Believe it or not I did put a lot of effort into the site. If you think the site is half assed you'd probably be better off suggesting additional ways to improve the site or if you have the time contributing more to it yourself.

16. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

I'd report your post as well, this has nothing to do with the discussion of a new name does it? Instead of me replying to his "bad joke" post and knowing how he can be a trollish ass and continue on and some how manage to get only more dumb, I reported it and took proper action. I wasn't using it because I "didn't like it" I would have reported a LOT more posts in that case.

Right, right just like it wasn't pretty obvious when you made the "PC Master Race" thread just to spite me after all our arguing. If I wasn't here you would have never posted such a thread. Right I forgot that "Obviousness" only works in your favor when it's convenient to you.

Wasn't serious enough? I asked several specific questions, all he posted with is that Tetris was scary, he didn't say how or why or answer any of my questions. This was directly after he came on AGAIN asking for people to play tetris and I posted my thread in chat asking if anyone could give a reply, Deagger being himself just HAD to make a "bad joke" that contributed absolutely ZERO to the thread. I knew as soon as You saw the report that you would ignore it, in fact I facepalmed as soon as you asked what the actions meant.

Who's to say those weren't legit? I'd say Deaggers reply wasn't a legit suggestion either but you'd just try to justify it like always.

I've seen dumber names for sites before.

Oh I try, I do what I can and most threads I post get either sarcastic and off topic "jokes" or ignored completely, it's a waste of my time. Many, many times I and others have suggested ways to improve the site, a lot of the time you try to argue and justify a reason NOT to do it. So we stopped suggesting anything.

Also Sy the threads I deleted I want gone. It is my right to delete my own threads. I no longer want my content on here. The guide I spent a lot of time working on for example, I deleted it, that was my right as we all have the option to delete our posts since the button is there. My horror game idea thread, what if I no longer have a need for it anymore? I wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea and offer suggestions if I'm not going to use or need them. For you to bring it back without my permission I'm pretty sure if I were to enforce such an issue, is sue material, people have been sued over less. I'm not saying I will or would sue you but that it can be grounds for it as it was my right to delete my own content from this site, if I were to leave and found out you brought it back without my permission, yeah.

If I were to remove or delete my account or content from Facebook and found out they brought it back without my permission what do you think would happen?

17. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

Gimme a break, it's the first report I've seen on the new software.

The providers ("we", "us", "our") of the service provided by this web site ("Service") are not responsible for any user-generated content and accounts ("Content"). Content submitted express the views of their author only.

You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.

All Content you submit or upload may be reviewed by staff members. All Content you submit or upload may be sent to third-party verification services (including, but not limited to, spam prevention services). Do not submit any Content that you consider to be private or confidential.

We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content submitted for any reason without explanation. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We reserve the right to take action against any account with the Service at any time.

You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.

These terms may be changed at any time without notice.

If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use this Service. If you wish to close your account, please contact us.

18. Sykikal

You told me in Skype it was a bad joke. They seem like they're just put downs. It might work as a comedy site but for the most part I haven't seen sites call themselves half assed, etc.

Some suggestions I implement and some I don't. I think it'd be a disaster if I implemented every suggestion without filtering them at all. Can you give me some examples of good suggestions you made that I argued against? I think I implemented a lot of the things you suggested, the table bbcode, spoiler bbcode, the "lol" dog etc.

I appreciate your help. I think you have done a lot. There's always more people do is what I am getting at.

To be honest the button being there was more of a mistake. It wasn't there back on vB but I just forgot to set the permissions for Xenforo. I'm not aware of any law that says I must provide a delete/edit feature. By that standard every website that didn't allow people to delete their own content, eg. 2007 YouTube would be breaking the law. Besides which, the terms of service of the site allow me to keep the content up. If there was a particular thread you didn't want up I might bring it down, I asked you a reason why you deleted the threads and it seemed to me like you just did it as a way to get back at me. I felt that deleting multiple threads at once was confusing for users who might be looking at them and detrimental to the site.

19. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

You retain copyright over the Content.

I could request to have my account removed and therefore my content but we all know Sy is against perm deleting anything. Hax had requested to have his deleted but never could.

Also I'm not saying that EVERY site has to have a delete option but those that do obviously have it there for a reason, just because you were lazy or it was a "mistake" and you didn't mean for it to be there is no excuse, it was there, I used it and now you're saying "Oops tehe wasn't supposed to be there"

For those ToS are they yours you made up or the forum software?

20. Sykikal

It's the forum software's. I might close accounts but I don't delete them. Closing your account wouldn't remove the content, it is more or less a requested ban.

Could you tell me what law I'm breaking?