I think VGI needs a new name.

Discussion in 'Questions Assistance & Feedback' started by CROWley, May 5, 2014.

1. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

Sykikal:

VGI needs a different name or needs to live up to it's name. You rarely post articles and when you do they're filled with mistakes and just reworded articles from other sites where people can just read them there. You said you put too much work into this name or something to that extent. You've got the domain and the members know this place as VGI. Not really that much going for it. The name is misleading, it's not like this is some great information hub. Most of the time when you post/ make threads it's asking something. You don't seem to know that much yourself.

Several examples for the articles, I think it was the old Wii U article that looked like a 5 year old posted it. In the new Call of Duty thread you called Sledgehammer games Sludgehammer games. My last example would be the articles that you posted saying that Minecraft wasn't even on the PS3 yet.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  2. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

I never said there wouldn't be any mistakes, and all the mistakes you mentioned have already been corrected. I don't see how having mistakes occasionally precludes the site from having info. Is any info really unique to a particular website other than opinion/speculation articles eg. a top ten list? Pretty much all the major articles on major video game sites have similar articles posted elsewhere. What exactly are you suggesting I should do to live up to the name?

Also, assuming I don't live up to it, what do you think I should call the site? Do you have any ideas for a new name? I've gotten used to the name and to the "VGI" acronym. It's what I use for my email, it's what the site has used for years. Even if I change the name people will still probably call us "VGI" for years. I just don't see how it'd be worth a big change like this and it's not as if I have a better idea for a name.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  3. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

This is my 'argument' these are my reasons, take it or leave it. I already know how this will go down, you don't want to do it, you're going to post a bunch of "reasons" and ignore all our points and make whatever excuses you can come up with. Post a thread, ask what people think would be a good name, wait for replies to this one. See what people think and how they feel. VGI should always be heading towards improving itself, not "This is what we've gone by and I don't like change and people will have to get used to it." You didn't seen to listen to that in regards to the new forums software and all or most of us seem to agree that was for the better.

Edit: As for the articles, yeah you corrected them after people pointed them out. You should still proof read what you post before and after posting it. Do a little research if you're unsure of something.

4. Sykikal

You posted an argument, I posted a follow up question. Isn't it okay if I do that? Whether or not I take it or leave it depends upon your answer to my follow up question, eg. I need more information to decide what to do. If you're going to take a black and white "take it or leave it" stance and refuse to even have a discussion about your suggestion or refuse to justify it further or post a follow up argument, then yeah, I'll probably end up leaving it.

You don't need to put reasons in quotes because I don't think anyone is disputing that they actually are reasons. Ignoring would mean I didn't respond. I'm responding to your points so I'm not ignoring them.

Why would I post a new thread when you already posted a thread about it? I'd rather wait for replies to this one.

I'm only pointing out that there are a lot of consequences involved in changing a brand name/domain name so the benefits of doing so need to outweigh the costs. Improving is good, it just needs to be an actual improvement and not just change for the sake of change. Not all change is improvement.

Who says I didn't listen? I upgraded the forum software, didn't I?

5. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

Let's call it Tiger Festival

Shiny Ablico and shadowray7 like this.
  6. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

It's the way you respond to my suggestions, I've taken note over the years. You pick at them in various ways and make excuses for why you don't like them instead of looking at the subject themselves.

I didn't really feel like you looked at each point individually in my original post and as I just said above.

That was kind of a stupid suggestion, I was thinking of this thread like Shatto's movie night thread. Toss out the idea here, should it get enough attention make it's own discussion thread.

I agree, I also think holding onto a name because you've had it for a long time isn't doing you any favors. Yeah people know this site as VGI but currently it doesn't really fit.

That's what I meant. I was saying you didn't listen to the people complaining about the switch, you upgraded the forums despite the fact that some people were going to complain about MUCH NEEDED CHANGE.

7. Fenrir

Fenrir Luminary of the stars!!

I personally think it is a great idea to change the name but keep the VGI part.

8. Sykikal

Reasons, excuses, you can spin it in whatever way you want. It would be a disaster if I implemented every suggestion made on the site without question. Some suggestions won't get through, and rather than just flat out deny these suggestions I'd rather post reasons for why I don't want to implement the suggestions.

Some suggestions are up in the air, I don't know whether or not I'll implement them. When you say I'm "picking at them" I'm "gathering knowledge". I'm asking a question so I can better decide if the decision is an improvement and is worth the time to implement. Isn't it okay if I do that? Isn't it good for me to be more informed before I implement something? Isn't it okay for me to decide which suggestions to implement and which ones not to implement rather than just implementing anything and everything?

If someone gives me a suggestion, and I'm unsure about whether or not I should implement it, or I don't think it would be in the best interests of the site to implement it, what do you think I should do?

What point specifically do you think I overlooked?

At least people can remember the name. Even changing the spelling of my username was a big inconvenience and people still call me "phsy" years later. The pro wrestling company I was talking about in my thread, now called "WWE" used to be called "WWF" more than 10 years ago and a lot of the older superstars and the media still call it WWF. Building up a brand, search engine hits, etc. matters, not as much for a smaller place like VGI, but it's still significant. It's also a big hassle. I would have to buy a new domain name, pay for both domain names for years while I redirect the traffic, and import all of the content over.

It would be confusing to change the name now. People would be calling us "VGI" for years. If I'm going to do something like that I'd need to have a really stellar name to replace it with. It couldn't just be a little better, it'd have to be much better.
    I don't understand what you're arguing here. For starters, I don't remember anyone other than you complaining about the new forum software, but for the sake of argument lets say they did complain about it. Are you saying I should listen to people who complain and do what they want, or that I should do what I think is best?

9. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

It's just how you do it. I'm not saying use every suggestion, just if you don't like one just say it. Don't beat around the bush.

Obviously it's better to ask questions. I don't know how else to put it. I feel like when you don't like something you come up with any possible reason you can think of and use that as a reason for something VS. looking at the pro's and cons of the situation.

If you're up in the air about then do what you did about switching chats. Make a thread and ask people what they think, some suggestions you could probably find some way to test without ruining the forums. Maybe there's a way to make certain features work on a specific area and have people test it there.

I don't know how to put it. My suggestion was we should change the name or find some way to live up to it. You seemed to dwell too much on changing the name and articles thing VS. looking at the problems.

Yeah it's a big change and shouldn't be taken lightly. It's up to you, sure some people lack the brain capacity to accept that somethings name changed but that's their problem. We've got to do what's best for the site, are you going to halt change because some people might be incapable of accepting it? What about future people, they'd know it by the new name, eventually the people calling it VGI would be in the minority.

I like the new forums software overall, I still think it has it's problems but I feel it's better. Do what you think is best and it going to work, if people are complaining and making coherent arguments then maybe you should listen to their arguments.

10. Sykikal

It's unusual that a suggestion comes in that I know for sure I'll never implement, and when it happens I try to express it tactfully under the mindset that it is nice of them to suggest it. Would you prefer it if I just told you "No, I won't do that"?

My general notion is that if someone is coming up with a suggestion the burden is on them to outline the positive aspects of it.

You made a thread already so I don't see the point of making an additional one.

I brought up the article stuff because that's the argument you used to try to convince me that I should change the name. I asked you what we should do to live up to the info name and you didn't answer that question.

It's my problem too if users think the site is confusing. Why should I bother waiting for "eventually" when the regulars already understand the name now? If I had a better name for the site than Video Game Info I'd have picked that when I made the site.

I do listen to the arguments, that doesn't mean I'll always agree with them.

11. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

Yes.

Yeah, sure. It helps if other people do the same. If we all add to the convo on both sides it helps.

OK. Do as you wish.

It's obvious, if this place is going to be called Video Game Info then it should be a source of information and knowledge. What do you expect people to do if they come here expecting to find info and find none? Do you expect them to stick around? Currently the name of the site is misleading.

Didn't you make the site when you were 14? No wonder you didn't have a better name for it. There's the "the regulars know it as VGI" argument. It's doing you no favors if you refuse something because the regulars will have to get used to change. Shouldn't you be thinking of how to improve the site? I just don't see how using a misleading name is doing us any favors.

Nobody asked you to.

12. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

All this arguing and back and forth reasoning, why not just make a thread with a poll that states if people think VGI needs a name change, if so then we can throw some suggestions out there.

13. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

That's a good suggestion, I don't know why we never thought of that.

14. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Yeah I don't know why you didn't

15. Sykikal

Yes, I was 14 when I made the site and I still can't think of a better name for it. I already am thinking of ways to improve the site. I just don't see how changing the name is an improvement or would be "doing us any favors" nor can I think of a better name. I don't think changing the name will really cause more people to stick around, and if I had extra money to spend on VGI I'd spend it on advertising or more software or a contest, etc. It just seems like money better spent elsewhere to me.

He already made a thread, I don't see the need to make an additional one. A new thread would probably also have arguing. Having one or two more people vote "Yes" on a poll probably wouldn't convince me to make such a major decision. If you or anyone else has a suggestion for a new name they're welcome to post it.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  16. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

I'm not saying changing the name will cause people to stick around, I'm saying having a misleading name does us no favors.

I don't understand why you put a "?" after that, are you asking Shatto for permission?

17. Sykikal

1. I don't think it's misleading.
    2. Neither does changing if it doesn't help member stick around.

If keeping the same name doesn't do us any favors, and changing names doesn't do us any favors, then the simple conclusion is that the name isn't really that important and that the money that I could spend on changing the name is money and time better spent elsewhere.

Shadow likes this.
  18. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

How is it not misleading? There's no way you can say people come here for information.

19. Sykikal

There's information in the article section/among other sections. It's primarily a video game focused site. Loosely speaking most posts convey some type of information.

20. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

I've already pointed out how rarely you post articles and the problems with those. Yeah it's video game focused and a post here and there has information. It's still in no way some information hub. This is the last video game site on my mind when I'm looking for info.