I got Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, early!

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by vengvong, Aug 20, 2015.

1. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Hey guys, so my dad went to the store and got me MGSV:TPP! The rumors were true, you could get them early at the store!

[​IMG]

It has Big Boss on it! It's also rated M for Mature.
    [​IMG]
    I'll start playing tomorrow, so wait for me to update!

2. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

What's up with the hype for the game? The only MG game I've played was Guns of the Patriots, it was okay, the game seemed more like a long cinematic and the last part almost made my thumbs fall off

3. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

Fuck. I wish I could get a game early, I'd play it and record a ton of footage and get a shit ton of views on YouTube.

4. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

Veng is trolling, that's not The Phantom Pain

Guns of the Patriots is for fans of the series, I wouldn't recommend anyone to play it as their first MGS game. Its purpose was to tie up the events from the previous three Metal Gear Solid games (5 counting Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2) and put an end to Big Boss and Solid Snake's story, you'd have to play the previous three games to understand it. Snake reconciled with his father, Big Boss, who he fought against and presumably killed in the events before Metal Gear Solid (Metal Gear 1 and 2). The whole reveal at the end of MGS4 was brilliant at the time because we'd assumed Big Boss had been dead this whole time, and we were told Big Boss's corpse which we seen earlier in the game was actually Solidus Snake (Big Boss's third "son" and perfect clone) after rebuilding Big Boss's damaged body by transplanting parts of Solidus who had been killed by Raiden at the end of MGS2.

After that, the games went back to Big Boss's past continuing from MGS3 in Portable Ops and Peace Walker, and now it's continuing and possibly ending in Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain.

There are a few reasons for all the hype, like the fact that this will be Hideo Kojima's last MGS game since he will no longer be with Konami and they hold the rights to the series. Another reason is we will finally know the mystery of how Big Boss turned into the "villain" we know from Metal Gear 2 after seeing him lose everything he'd built at the end of Ground Zeroes. In the latest trailer, we got a look at a young Solid and Liquid Snake so they may play an important role in the story. We've also seen enough from the trailers and gameplay that have been shown to justify the hype, plus we already have Ground Zeroes which is the prologue to The Phantom Pain and their gameplay is exactly the game so we know what to expect. I honestly believe this will be many people's game of the year for 2015, as MGS fans have a lot to be excited about, but if you're not a fan of the series then I can understand why you wouldn't care much about it.

Have you seen these trailers?

Shadow and Sykikal like this.
  5. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

I have one of the MGS games for the Xbone thanks to the Games with Gold program but I never played it. I never like getting into a new series because if I do, I want to get into the entire series.

Hitman, Pokemon, Borderlands, Halo, The Elder Scrolls and Serious Sam. They all have a few things in common. They're all great games, I love them all and I can sink hundreds and hundreds or thousands of hours into just those series alone.

6. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

I don't preorder or pay full price for all that many games anymore but I preordered this and I'll make time for it. I have been looking forward to this for a while. I could go into more detail about why but I think Lavitz already went over the main points.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  7. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Well I was able to acquire a copy of the game
    [​IMG]

Now I just need to get and play all the others, would it be better to play them in the order they released or the chronological order?

8. Lavitz

Release order.
    • Metal Gear (MSX2, NES, Included in HD collection)(skippable)
    • Metal Gear 2 (MSX2, Included in HD collection)(skippable)
    • Metal Gear Solid (PS1, PSP, PS3, PSVita, PC)
    • Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, PS3, Vita, 360, PC)
    • Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2, PS3, Vita, 3DS, 360)
    • Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) (skippable)
    • Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
    • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP, PS3, 360)
    • Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PC, 360, XB1, PS3, PS4)
    • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PC, 360, XB1, PS3, PS4)

Shadow likes this.
  9. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

So the first two Metal Gear games aren't important?

10. Lavitz

Everything that happened is explained in MGS, so you don't really need to play them.