House of Cards *spoilers*

Discussion in 'TV series' started by Sykikal, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

Does anyone else here watch House of Cards? I'm really liking it so far. I probably got through season 2 in just a few days. I'm planning to binge watch season 3 once it comes out as well.

They recently released the trailer for season 3 (Contains spoilers for those who haven't seen seasons 1-2)

2. Sykikal

I just saw episodes 1-6 of season 3. My thoughts
    Season 3 spoilers episodes 1-6 spoilers
    Call me biased, but I actually really like Frank Underwood's America Works idea and think I would vote for him if he was running on the ballet. I agree that we're spending way too much on Medicare and entitlements. "You are entitled to nothing", loved that quote. Except.. I'm just not exactly sure how his job plan plays out. Obama tried getting more jobs with the stimulus plan. I don't know if just "throwing money at it" will create good new jobs. I'm not really opposed to spending money on jobs, I'd just like to know exactly how he's doing it.

It interests me that they made that Petrov guy similar to Putin. The "gay propaganda" bill is exactly the issue that is going on in Russia now. Also, that American who got arrested in Russia reminds me of Brian Moser from Dexter. Same actor maybe.

I kind of wonder if Claire an ulterior standing up to Petrov and bashing the gay bill. Maybe she thought that doing so get her a lot of support and keep her in power long after her husband was out of power as the president. In other words that she is helping herself at the expense of her husband.

I'm still trying to figure out what Doug is up to. Is he a spy for Underwood or has he really betrayed him? It strikes me as odd that he'd be loyal to Underwood for all this time, then right as he becomes president, the most important role in the nation, he'd switch sides. I mean sure, he was cut out just a bit, but I actually believe Underwood when he says it's for health purposes.

3. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

I knew you'd like America Works. I think all he did was take the money for disaster relief and used it to pay business owners to hire more people. I feel like there was too much focus on it throughout the season, and eventually I got tired of hearing about America Works.

The whole thing with Doug had me pretty confused, I guess they don't make it obvious whose side he's on. The same thing with Jackie. It will be pretty clear what Frank really thinks of Doug, and you'll find out what he's doing.

I found Frank a lot different now that he's president, he seems less ruthless now that all the attention is on him and he can't afford to make any mistakes. I guess he's being too careful, and it doesn't help that Claire is getting in the way and screwing up his plans. Claire also seems different, it's like she wants more out of their relationship then she did before. It also felt like something was missing, maybe he isn't talking to the viewer as much as he did before. I loved the opening scene where he was pissing on his father's grave though, the whole first episode was great, I didn't think Doug was still alive after the Season 2 finale.

I think Tom Yates is a good addition to the show, I like his character.

4. Sykikal

Note: I've seen up to episode 10.Major Spoilers for it below.

Now that I watched more of the show it seems pretty clear that's what he did. The guy with the restaurant said he hired his employees under AmWorks, so it's not just a government jobs program like what was implied during the debates.

Okay, now that I've seen more of the show it seems clear that he was on Underwood's side all along. That's pretty much what I suspected from the start. Though he really seems.. I don't know, obsessed, like he can't live without this political stuff in his life. It kind of reminds me of what Claire said, how she doesn't hate campaigning, she just hates how much she needs it.

Yeah, I thought that episode was great too. It does seem like he is talking to the viewer less than he was in previous seasons. I suppose I can understand her mindset. I feel like she's always put her desires to the back burner because Underwood was quickly rising to the top, but now that he's at the top she feels that there's no better time to peruse her desires. For all she knows, Underwood might not be reelected in 2 years and she wants to take advantage of his power now. Though I feel she was way out of line after what she did with Petrov. Kind of messed up months of negotiations with it, and had she not done that she'd probably still have her job.

I really enjoyed the scene where Frank was negotiating with Petrov. Although, it felt like there were no huge or major events like there were in past seasons. The two murders, and Frank undermining the president to claim the power for itself, etc. It feels like he's just on the defensive now. Ironically the most ruthless moments from Frank in the season seemed to be directed towards his own staff. I kind of had a feeling Jackie would go with Dunbar ever since she discussed with Remy about how she was impressed by Dunbar not offering anything. It seems like Dunbar is the only politician who might be above all this trading favors and corruption.

I felt Frank was too hard on his staff, I mean, he doesn't have to really see them as equals. Just pretend that he does. I mean, no one is going to take kindly to being called a subordinate who basically has no voice or influence. If he'd just be reelected that'd be one thing, but he's on the verge of losing his nomination. He's good at manipulating voters, and back in season 1, when he was in congress, he always seemed to give out offers that made the other guy come out ahead. Though I feel like he is letting the power of the presidency get to his head.

I'm confident that he'll be able to eventually beat Dunbar and secure the votes he needs, but I'm interested in seeing how he'll go about it. He's sort of back in a behind again so I'm hoping maybe we'll see a more ruthless side of him like we did in earlier seasons in order to secure the nomination.

I agree. It's nice to have someone who is friends with Frank, but doesn't have some big political agenda.
    Major spoilers for the last episode:
    Something I don't get, what was Doug's angle in all this? I thought at first he might be in love with Rachael, he seemed really upset when she died. Then when he finally finds her he just kills her? What was the point of all that? Was it just for revenge?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  5. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

He was in love with Rachel, obsessed with her even. Maybe he was upset because he still did love her and he wasn't able to get closure. I think when he pulled over after letting her go, he had to make a decision between her life and loyalty to Frank. It's not like he could have been with her after that, and leaving her alive could cause problems in the future. She nearly killed him and caused him to fall off the wagon too, he'd probably go back to drinking if he let her go and working with Frank is the most important thing to him.

6. Sykikal

Next season coming March 4th.

Next season is Claire vs. Frank . Claire is ruining everything. She was the first lady. She should have been content with that. Or simply refused to resign as the secretary of state or whatever she was. I mean it's not like she was Underwood's slave, she could have kept the position if she really wanted to go against him. Season looks interesting though.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  7. Sykikal

I really liked season 4, it felt like it was much faster paced than season 3 and Francis and his staff are back to their old ruthless selves (not that they ever really stopped but it felt sort of like they sort of went on the defensive during season 3). Francis finally finds an enemy who can stand up to him in Claire. Though I'm glad they worked out their differences. I'm still kind of annoyed Claire jeopardized Francis's chances with the KKK posters, but I guess she had to threaten him in order for him to take the VP nomination seriously. As usual they played it out well to get her to become a credible option. Claire's mother's death, Francis being shot, everything seems to play out perfectly to build their credibility. I kind of feel bad for Dunbar, she seemed like the only honest politician in the show.

Francis admitting to Catherine Durant that he killed two people only to say "just kidding" was suspenseful, I didn't think even he was bold enough to kill a secretary of state in the middle of the White House, but it sure sounded like he was considering it.

The NSA guy kind of makes me wonder if people in the White House aren't already using surveillance for political purposes. I mean, if these politicians have the power to spy on political opponent's phone calls/emails, would they really just not do it out of ethics? I doubt it.

Doug Stamper seems unstable. The cup scene seemed over the top. I really enjoyed the hospital scene though. It shows how far he's willing to go, I'm worried he's letting the family of the guy he let die become an obsession like he did with with Rachel.

So, now we have this big scandal with the Underwood's getting out, about Frank "stealing" the presidency, and Francis needs to find a way to generate enough terror to get people to vote for him instead of Will Conway. I wonder how he's going to pull that off. Will Conway also seems tough on terrorism, so I'm not sure just a war on its own is really a benefit to Frank.

Oh, interesting note. The US constitution 22nd amendment , "Limits the number of times that a person can be elected president: a person cannot be elected president more than twice, and a person who has served more than two years of a term to which someone else was elected cannot be elected more than once." So the absolute maximum someone can be President is 10 years, and legally Underwood could run for another term even if he wins this term.

Now I have to wait an entire year for the next season /:

8. Politics Paul

Politics Paul Begin Your Adventure

This election made me think of House of Cards and realize that this has gotten so beyond House of Cards level corruption.Frank Underwood murders two people, Hillary (maybe probably according to "conspiracy theorists") kills 5 Britain’s top human rights lawyer who represented Julian Assange and worked alongside George Clooney’s wife Amal dies in apparent suicide

[​IMG]

I hate being a "conspiracy theorist" but can this really be just a string of coincidences? Does Hillary have some insane supporter that is going around killing her political opponents who happens to have inside government information without her knowledge?

Taking foriegn bribes then lying about it is what got POTUS in House of Cards Impeached! Hillary is doing way worse and nothing...

Credit to http://www.mostdamagingwikileaks.com/ for organization/format.

Hillary Clinton took money from and supported nations that she KNEW funded ISIS and terrorists

“...the governments of Qatar and Saudi Arabia, which are providing clandestine financial and logistic support to ISIL and other radical Sunni groups in the region.”
    “Clintons should know better than to raise money from folks whose primary concern has been supporting the NIAC, a notorious supporter of the Radical Islamic Mullahs. "The Clinton’s have thrown principle out the window in exchange for cold hard cash...putting money ahead of principle.”

Hillary took money from foreigners for campaign (illegal)

Democrats using American lobbyists to money launder foreign donations illegally

[​IMG]

Hillary’s staff admitting she is “tainted” and “really vulnerable” on corruption and bribery

Hillary's campaign wants "unaware" and "compliant" citizens
    https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/3599
    “And as I've mentioned, we've all been quite content to demean government, drop civics and in general conspire to produce an unaware and compliant citizenry. The unawareness remains strong but compliance is obviously fading rapidly. This problem demands some serious, serious thinking - and not just poll driven, demographically-inspired messaging.”

Obama lied: he knew about Hillary’s secret server and wrote to her using a pseudonym, cover-up happened (intent to destroy evidence)

Jen you probably have more on this but it looks like POTUS just said he found out HRC was using her personal email when he saw it in the news… we need to clean this up - he has emails from her - they do not say state.gov”

“How is that not classified?” Huma Abedin to FBI when shown email between Clinton & Obama using his pseudonym. Abedin then expressed her amazement at the president’s use of a pseudonym and asked if she could have a copy of the email.

This is bombshell on top of bombshell on top of bombshell, like seriously, what the fuck? How is this person leading in the polls? Watergate, everything Trump's done, and everything done in House of Cards seems like nothing compared to this. It's like I'm in the twilight zone or something.

9. Sykikal

Season 5 Trailer. Finally getting something after the 14 month House of Cards drought (teaser with upside down flag doesn't count).

Sort of related, but I noticed a portrait of Bill Clinton coming into view at :13. The show has made reference to past Presidents eg. FDR, Nixon and because Underwood is running in 2016 can be assumed that Walker assumed office in 2012. I'm curious as to the fork in where real history ends and where House of Cards history begins. Obviously, Obama isn't present in the show. 9/11 was referenced, but no mention of Bush that I know of, so it's unclear whether Bush handled it or some other fictional President. They specify that Walker is 45th President and Underwood is the 46th. Note that in real history Obama is the 44th President and Trump is the 45th.

It seems to me like the most likely theory is that another Republican (possibly McCain) takes office as the 44th President in 2008 instead of Obama and then Walker beats him in 2012. Though I guess another possibility is that some fictional Democrat won in 2004, served both his terms, and then Walker wins in 2012. The third option is that Obama wins in 2008 but for some reason doesn't run a second time, but that seems a little less likely to me.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  10. Sykikal

I finished season 5, I thought it was good. The first episode starts with him using the war on ICO to distract from the investigation of him. Maintaining his power by any means necessary. Rather than accept defeat he decides to double down on underhanded tactics. Pushing along fears of terrorism in order to go forward with the election, including the fake cyber terrorism threats, and enacting voter suppression schemes.

Though I thought it was strange that they eventually ended up turning the vote back over to the State of Ohio. It was alot of hoopla to go through if they were just going to have the people vote on the election anyway. Of course, they didn't have the benefit of Will Conway's breakdown in the plane back then. I liked how Underwood stood firm on America Works and cutting Medicare and Social Security, despite it potentially being costly politically. It seems like it's the only real policy he's enacted. It's ironic because it seems like the entire series has been about Frank maintaining and expanding his power rather than what he was actually going to do with the power.

I'm starting to feel negative about Claire. It feels like she's riding off Underwood's coattails and hard work. What did she really do again? In season 3, she was a failed ambassador, sending troops in impulsively and getting tricked by Petrov before resigning when Francis told her it was needed for a political deal with Petrov, and she only got that because she was married to the President. Then she complains later for giving her exactly what she asked for because she was upset that she needed his help. She also blew up because of the homosexual protester in Russia, which hurt Frank's relationship with Petrov. I brought this up earlier because I was annoyed with Claire's attitude but it seems like its worse now.

She has the position with the first lady, which in itself is a huge deal and a great position to have and only has it because of who she's married to and is still dissatisfied. She basically blackmails her way onto Francis's ticket by releasing the Ku Klux Klan photo of his father and threatening to do worse unless he puts her on, so he maneuvers her onto the ticket which forces him to make enemies with Cathy Dunbar.

Back to the current season, she recklessly blows the lid on Francis's biggest secret to Tom Yates. That he murdered Zoe and Pete. There was no good reason for her to do that. I assumed that given this level of trust, she must intend to be with him for the rest of her life, but then shortly afterward she breaks up with him. Which leaves him free to publish embarrassing information about them. Honestly, what did she expect to happen? Tom Yates death felt a bit contrived to me. As if they had to come up with a reason why he was a threat so they could kill him because killing someone is "the price to be President". On top of that, now Mark knows about it, and it seems to be implied that he's using it to blackmail her into making him the Vice President. What's next? Is this Mark Usher guy going to undermine Claire and try to get her impeached? He has enough dirt on her to do so.. What a mess Claire created.

You'd think after all Frank did for Claire that she would at least be able to pardon him. IMO, it would be more costly politically to be married to a felon, so it doesn't even make sense from a political "ends justifies the means" standpoint. I guess you can say Frank deserves it for robbing Walker of his presidency, but at least Frank had the decency to pardon Walker.

I also have to somewhat question Frank's "I'll work on the outside" plan. Maybe it would make sense if I knew more details, but there are tons of lobbyists and only one president. I'm sure there are plenty of companies that would hire him for a 7 figure salary, but I don't think he can instantly amass billions like Raymond Tusk has so there's a good chance that he won't even be able to be in the top 5 most influential lobbyists unless there are other circumstances that I don't know about.

Heck, if anything, the Presidency probably would have made it easier to become a lobbyist and amass speaking fees, fees in book sales, and other areas if all he wanted was money for lobbying. Not sharing his plan with Claire seemed strange too. He shared with her that he was a murderer, but not his plan to make her president? She could have had input on it. Maybe he thought that his impeachment was inevitable and he wanted to give Claire a running start. Even given Frank's lack of notice about making Claire the president, I still find it strange that she was so upset but it. I mean, it does seem like that's what she wanted and she was complaining about lack of power, and now that he manuvers her into becoming the president, she's still angry.

A few sidenotes, I kind of feel bad for Doug. I think he still feels guilty over Rachel's death so this is his way giving "penance" for it. Though we still have no idea of Claire is actually going to come through and pardon him, and it seems like Tom Hammerschmidt might still suspect Francis and doesn't buy that Doug killed Racheal without Francis having any idea of what was going on.

Another small sidenote, I'm not sure I understood why Underwood fake conceded to Will Conway. It seems like if anything this would just weaken his position/claim to the presidency.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  11. Sykikal

I wanted to revisit this point after finding some additional clips to support it.

Here's the scene and quote from the first episode of the series:
    [​IMG]
    "Power is a lot like real estate, the closer you are to the source, the higher your property value. Centuries from now when people watch this footage, who will they see smiling at the edge of the frame?"

I was rewatching some House of Cards clips and someone in a YouTube comment pointed out that Usher is waving at the camera during Frank's inauguration, so I took a closer look. Here's what Frank says before being inaugurated.

"I look across at this crowd gathered today, and I know these are not my supporters. I'm looking at people who are waiting, with a smile on their face, for their turn. And the most vicious among them are the ones who are smiling and clapping the hardest. Power is a lot like real estate, remember?"

[​IMG]

Notice the similarities? He's Frank 2.0 with a plot and his own agenda and Claire just gave him a loaded gun. What was she thinking? She'd have been better off just letting Tom live.

12. Sykikal

13. Sykikal

Mark Usher, the VP and arguably the third most important person in the season behind Claire and Doug is boring and unmemorable. I don't care about the weird family drama with Annette Sheperd whether her son is her biological son or whether she and her brother had incest because they were just introduced in the last season. Interesting antagonist like Ramon Tusk and even Will Conway and people with political savvy replaced with the murder family. I get that the show always had killing but this is like Sons of Anarchy/Game of Thrones level stuff now. It's way over the top.

The equal rights issue might have potential, they touch on it earlier in the series with the military sexual assault thing but they barely address it and it turns into what seems like Claire just being a man hater. And how is Claire's reputation in the eyes of the public supposed to recover after her weird 3-week grief stint? Even if she isn't impeached over it.

The Syria war with Russia could be interested but they barely go into detail about it and it's not really resolved by the end of the series. Petrov was one of my favorite parts of the series. Last good/interesting antagonist left.

The main focus of the season is Doug vs. Claire but it just keeps reminding me how important Frank was to the show and how weird it is that the audio clips and everything is going on without him. The show can't escape the gravity/shadow that Frank cast over it.

So what happens? Claire winds up with Doug dead in her office after he threatened to release damning tapes her? She was on shaky political ground as is. Even if she can claim self-defense no way this doesn't hurt her in the polls. I don't know if I buy the idea of Francis just walking into the White House and killing Claire either. It seemed like something they contrived for convenience. I don't see how he could get away with that but on the off chance, he does. Mark Usher becomes president. What was it all for? What'd all those people die for?