Have you ever opened up one of your consoles?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Sykikal, May 3, 2015.

1. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

I envy the hell out of people like you who have the skills to repair their broken consoles and controllers and have all these badass looking consoles/controllers. Most of my stuff is just stock and boring and breaks when I try to repair or modify it. :(

2. Fenrir

Fenrir Luminary of the stars!!

I love the look of that Orange controller, looks so nice :o

3. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

Great job! I knew when I made this you'd have one of the most interesting posts on it and it didn't disappoint. I like the blue 360 controller as well, though dark blue is my favorite color after all.
    Yeah, agreed, I wish I knew how to do this but knowing me there's a good chance I'd break it in the process. Even if I had it to do over I don't think I could insert the ribbon cable on the DS correctly. It just requires too much precision.

CROWley likes this.
  4. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

I'm not sure how Lavitz started but if you have something you want to take apart, just watch a few videos of others doing it and Pay Attention, hell do it along with the video. Take it slow and look at the parts and try to remember where things go.

Fenrir likes this.
  5. Sykikal

That's what I did with the DS Lite and I still broke the ribbon cable though. I probably watched those videos like a dozen times. Even knowing the exact steps, I think I might break the components in the process. eg. in the way it might take me a few tries to beat a boss or a level on a game, the downside being if I break an electronic I can't "redo" it without buying a whole new one.

6. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Guess you just kinda have to have a feel for electronics and how much pressure/force to use on things

7. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

I took my DS Lite apart a while before I got my replacement parts which was clearly stupid. I then messed up the ribbon cable connector so it doesn't hold the cable in properly. I don't know if it's that or if I messed up the cable while putting it in the new shell. I never bothered to try it again.

As for things like Soldering, I'm notoriously bad at it and never bother with messing with firmware mods and all that. (Outside of my Wii which I lost the backup of with my old computer.)

8. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

How did you guys break the cable? Is it the small ones shown here? At about 1:05

9. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Syk, how did you even break the ribbon cable?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2015
  10. Sykikal

Yes, that's it, the small cable at 1:43, and where he rolls it in at 3:30. I think that was the part I couldn't do, you have to roll it in very precisely, if you don't roll it tight enough it won't fit inside, if you roll it too tightly it can get a slit in it, which breaks it, it's like paper.

Did you see the part in the video? At 3:30, where he rolls in the cable, I think it was during the re-assembly when I was trying to put the cable back in. I must have watched it at least a dozen times before attempting it and I still couldn't do it. Are you saying you've disassembled a DS lite before veng? I'd be interested to see a list of consoles you've taken apart as well.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  11. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

I think you have to lift up or pull on the ribbon cable connector that locks it down. I broke one side so it doesn't lock now. It also got crinkled up when I was messing with it. I tend to get sweaty hands and they're not small either so working with small things is very difficult for me.

12. Tayden

Tayden Gamer

i took apart my ps2 and there was dead spiders in it

13. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

I don't know if this is considered disassembling, but whatever.
    I had a DS Lite which I was bored of, so I decided to snap the screens and seperate them. I then proceeded to smash it with a hammer, and removing the innards.

Repeat that three more times, and you have a very angry father ;)

14. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Doesn't look like that hard of a thing. Do take note though, a lot of people who make disassembling videos, don't usually NEED the item they're taking apart, maybe it's already broken or it's an extra, they aren't usually as careful as you would be with your stuff. So if it looks like they're doing it pretty quick and carefree, go slow and take a bit more caution.

15. Sykikal

Yeah, I knew it was easy to damage. So I went very slowly and cautiously. Which was why I spent so much time watching videos with that one part. Unfortunately even that wasn't enough, again, even if I could do it over, I don't think I could do this.

16. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

I feel like you need someone there to show you :P

17. Tayden

Tayden Gamer

hey sykikal can i take apart your wii u for you?

18. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

Just because something looks easy in a video or somebody makes it look easy, doesn't mean it is. I used to help people get an achievement in Saints Row for the 360. Afterwards when morons would say "That was easy!" I'd let them go at it alone to see just how hard it is.

I've taken apart GBA SP's several times and I still have trouble with them.

19. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

True, from my perspective of electronics though, it looks easy. Dunno I've never broken anything I've taken apart. I always know what the parts are and what I'm doing

20. Sykikal

Perhaps, but I don't know anybody here like that. I guess I'd have to hire a tutor or something. At that point I feel like it'd be cheaper to just buy a new device or pay for someone else to repair it. I don't know whether or not being there in person would really be all that different from watching it on a YouTube video, there's a difference between seeing something and knowing the steps involved and actually being able to do it. eg. I could watch a surgeon but doesn't mean I know how to replicate it.

CROWley likes this.