Have you ever opened up one of your consoles?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Sykikal, May 3, 2015.

1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

I'm curious, how many people here have opened up their consoles to try to repair it, modify it, change out the case, etc.? How did it go? I tried changing out the case on a DS Lite once but I broke the ribbon cable in the process. I haven't attempted it with another console since.

2. Numb

Numb None of this matters

Scaredy cat.

3. Sykikal

I just haven't really had a need to open one up since. None of them broke, and there wasn't a new case I wanted to put on. Have you opened one up then?

4. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

Tried to replace the case in a DS lite and messes up the ribbon cable. Replaced the cases in several GBA Sp's. Took apart my 360 to put in custom parts and clean it several times. Took apart an NES once for reasons I don't remember. I took apart some GBA's and GBC's to replace the cases.

I try to avoid taking my consoles apart nowadays because of the risk. I tend to break stuff or forget how to put it back together.

5. Fenrir

Fenrir Luminary of the stars!!

i've taken apart numerous dreamcasts and a few gamecubes. but besides them the most i have done is fix a few things or change the shell

6. Sykikal

Were you just taking apart the GameCube and Dreamcasts for fun?

7. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

I tried to open my broken 3DS because an online tutorial was explaining how to fix it. The screws were way too strong, and I could only manage to remove one.

8. Fenrir

not all the time, mainly to fix them, the dreamcast has a common controller port issue where the fuse will blow out if you rip out the controller when you shouldn't. just replace the fuse and it's good as new

9. Pointy

Pointy (☞゚∀゚)☞ Staff Member

Took apart an original Xbox for fun after the HD killed itself, same with my friend's 360, and have taken apart several PS3 controllers to fix the triggers.

CROWley likes this.
  10. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

I forgot to mention. I've taken apart an Xbox as well as plenty of 360 and third party controllers. N64 controller and possibly GameCube.

11. Sykikal

And you managed to fix them? I must have been through a ton of N64 controllers. Mostly because of Mario Party. I could have saved some money if I had fixed them but I was just a child at the time.
    That's a good idea. Working on something already broken. I have an old broken Dell PC that I took apart for fun. Was fixing the ps3 controller easy to do? Does it still work?

12. Pointy

Pointy (☞゚∀゚)☞ Staff Member

Fixing the PS3 controller was quite hard since it has a lot of little pieces kept in place by tension, once you have the hang of it it's not bad but when I first took it apart a piece about the size of a staple flew out and I had to go and find it.
    But yes all the controllers are working.

CROWley likes this.
  13. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

The N64 controller I took apart to paint. It came out terrible and the Z button sticks now. My dad used to have an old Xbox 3rd party controller that I took apart and cleaned. I've taken 360 controllers apart to replace the shells, add custom parts or change out rumble packs, clean, etc.

I advise caution with the PS3 controllers. I tried to help my brother put one back together that he took apart and it was a pain in the ass!

14. Fenrir

Dreamcast controllers are the exact same way, took one apart to replace the shell and when i put it back together the triggers and start button where never the same :/

CROWley likes this.
  15. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

That's good to know. Thanks!

16. Fenrir

no problem lol

17. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

I've taken apart my 360 to fix it. I decided to keep the case off because it was easier to keep it fixed that way. I was able to prolong its life but in the end I just really needed to replace the CD drive because the laser went bad.

I've taken apart the controllers as well mostly to clean them

18. Sykikal

Can you give me more details than that? Which ones? Did it go well? Taking apart stuff seems like such a daunting task to me that I don't think I'd start it unless a button was non-functional or something. Though I assume it gets easier with practice like anything.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  19. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Yeah, I don't recall ever breaking anything I've taken apart. I google things first, watch a few videos to get a general idea of where things are and how they go and then just go for it with that in mind.

Which ones? The wired and wireless 360 controllers

20. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

I've completely disassembled most of my consoles and put them back together at some point, except for things that I haven't had any problems with.

NES - Completely disassembled to clean. It had a blinking light and games wouldn't play, I later found out that I could fix it by disabling the lockout chip by breaking one of the pins off. Very easy console to fix since there isn't many components.
    PS2 - I've probably spend the most time on this since different things kept breaking. I just kept two around for parts and it was interesting seeing which things were compatible because they were two slightly different models. I've had to solder many times since the power connector kept resetting the console constantly. Also had to replace the laser twice which included waiting a month each time for the part to arrive from China... both times the laser died so I just gave up fixing it, so I installed homebrew on it and I run the games from USB now. I was planning to do an internal USB storage mod at some point by putting a USB hub where the disc drive used to be, but I never got around to it.
    GBA SP - Replaced the shell, every Gameboy before the DS is incredibly easy to fix.
    DS - Disassembled many times times trying to find the cause of it turning on and shutting off immediately, eventually found out there was a fuse causing the problem and it could be fixed by bridging the connection with some solder. I tried everything before that since I thought a ribbon cable was loose.
    DS Lite - Had a broken hinge so I replaced the whole shell which involved disassembling the whole thing and putting it back together in the new shell.
    PSP - Replaced front faceplate and LCD, also completely disassembled for fun when I was bored and waiting for the parts to arrive. Probably the most difficult handheld I've worked on since there are a lot of parts.
    360 - Disassembled to clean. Not my favorite console to open because of the way the case is designed, kinda hard to do without damaging the exterior.

Some of my custom things:

Clear blue DS Lite with flashcart, Black AGS-101 GBA SP, Clear PSP-1000 with custom firmware (only use this for ripping UMDs to put on my PSP Go now)

[​IMG]

I've disassembled many controllers to clean and fix, most recently I fixed 2 of my 360 controllers for around $12 each (new shells and analog sticks) and fixed the middle one using parts from the other two

This one turned out really nice, I love the color

[​IMG]

Fenrir, Shadow, Sykikal and 1 other person like this.