Forum software updated

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Sykikal, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

After more than six years of using vBulletin 3, I have finally decided to upgrade to Xenforo. vB3 was great software, and arguably the best forum software in its heyday, but like the recently unsupported Windows XP, it is slowly became more and more outdated, and more and more vulnerable to bugs and exploits. I tried to hold for a while and extend vB3s functionality with Add ons, but I felt it was finally time to start fresh and make a long overdue upgrade.

Here are some of the major changes.

Watching/alerts

Users can now watch threads and be automatically alerted when a new update is made. There is far more customization involved in alerts. You can decide if you want to be alerted when people like your post, when people quote your post etc.

3+ way private messages are supported
    Users involved in a private message can now invite someone else into the conversation.

Aesthetics overhaul:
    There are several big difference between aesthetics of vB3 and Xenforo. Forum descriptions only appear when you hover over the forum.

Most importantly, all that information that used to appear to the left is no longer there. Now it is just username, Avatar, custom title, and staff banner for myself and Lavitz (and any potential future staff). The concept here is that the focus should be on the user's content, not their postcount/join date/achievements/contact information etc. The old site was just getting too cluttered. There were posts that took up two paragraphs of space even though they were only a sentence long. I thought all of that information was starting to distract people from the core posts. If you decide you want to see all that information, you can still access it by clicking on a user's name, which opens their usercard.

There are tons of more aesthetic changes, and I couldn't really even start to describe all of them, but you should be able to see them as you go along. Please use this thread to suggest aesthetic changes.

Drafts
    Xenforo saves a draft of your post every few minutes (similar to gmail) so in the event your browser crashes, you won't lose all your work. You should still be careful and not rely on it though just to be safe.

Friends:
    Friends have been changed to a "follow" system. You can now follow and keep track of a user's posts even if they don't follow you back. For the most part, this is pretty similar to the old system

Removed features
    There were some features from vBulletin or vBulletin 3 addons that will no longer be around.

Social groups:
    There were some memorable social groups, but overall barely anyone used them or started discussions from them. It doesn't seem like that significant of a loss to me.

Reviews/Articles
    Rest assured that you will keep all the text/content from your reviews/articles, however the numbered rating, thumbnails, and comment system will no longer be supported. This was all unfortunately tied to an add on exclusively for vB3 called Gars. Support of the program was dropped years ago and the owner of it hasn't be online for well over a year as far as I can tell.

Album:
    I'm looking into third party add ons or other sites for this, but currently the album isn't supported by default from xenforo like it was in vB3. Other than myself and Lavitz not all that many people used the albums regularly anyway. That also means I don't currently have an automated way to restore user albums even if I were to install these new add ons. If you really want a photo uploaded to the old forum I can manually retrieve it though.

It might take some getting used to, and there might be a few features we'll miss, but overall I'm excited to have this new update, and I think we're looking at a lot more good than bad. Please give me your feedback/suggestions on the new update.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Shadow likes this.
  2. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

I've used another forums that were very similar to what VGI is now. I don't use them often, I really dislike them but I can't think of any way to improve them. I actually liked the info being on the side vs. the click to see A card crap.

3. Nin10dO

Nin10dO Inactive

A forum I frequently use just upgraded to Xenforo as well. :O
    It'll take a while for me to get used to this though.

4. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

I'm liking this, looks clean

5. Sykikal

Just an update, I put in all the old emoticons (now on the seperate video games tab:bombdance:) I've put in some of the old bbcode, like strikethrough, blue highlight, . Media embedding now supports multiple sites, like Dailymotion Facebook Liveleak Metacafe Vimeo YouTube. Just click the media/film icon, paste in the URL and the software should take care of the rest. Also, the old [yt] bbcode won't work. I've converted the old [yt] tags to the new [media] tags.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  6. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

:P "Wario Cupcake"
    I am disappointed in you Syk

7. Sykikal

It looks like a giant cupcake to me. What do you think I should call it?

8. Lavitz

That's not even Wario!

9. Sykikal

Oh.. oops. It looked like Wario to me. I just now zoomed in and on closer inspection it is some guy in red clothes with a beard. I have no idea who that actually is though. I guess I'll just change the name to "party" like in the URL unless you have a better idea.

10. Lavitz

You're killing me Syk, go play Super Mario RPG!
    "Angry Booster"

11. Sykikal

Cut me some slack, not everyone has played every Mario game:(. Fine, Angry Booster it is.

Lavitz likes this.
  12. Lavitz

Maybe change the shortcut to :booster: or :booster:

13. Sykikal

Another benefit of Xenforo, multiple smile shortcuts.

14. Extreme

Extreme Limit Breaker

Sorry for bumping. But can't we get to original 3x VB

I loved it so much. Not a fan of present one

15. Sykikal

Kind of late for that now. It had security vulnerabilities, among other problems. What is your problem with Xenforo?

16. Extreme

Extreme Limit Breaker

I don't know mate. It looks just weird to me

Prob because i was so used to that when i was very active here hehe ( 2010 , 2011) maybe