[DISCUSSION] Should women be allowed to have "period leaves"?

Discussion in 'Veng's Randomness' started by vengvong, Mar 2, 2016.

1. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

I read an article that had a company introducing a "period policy" to give them time off when they are menstruating, sort of like a mini maternity leave. Should this be allowed? Why or why not?

2. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

As a government mandate or voluntary program that employers can participate in?

3. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Voluntary program that employers can participate in

4. Sykikal

Personally if I were employer I'd be opposed to it. It seems like just an extra vacation day a month for women. In some jobs all they get is 12 vacation days.I'm not completely sure women would want everyone knowing when their period is either.

Doesn't make much sense to me, but if employers want to provide it I probably wouldn't care too much. It's their money to waste if they want to. I just hope they don't make a big announcement about their "period days" and be discrete about it, I'd be grossed out and annoyed they get more vacation time than me.

5. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

Wouldn't having "period leaves" make it more economical to just hire men? Goodness grief feminism

6. ATPrime

ATPrime Junior Gamer

on the surface, it sounds like a strange concept. a few days a month would add up (especially in larger businesses with more women), and depending on where you work, the person/people that go on "period leave" could make a difference. other people might have to do their work for them while they're gone, and that'd be a bit of a hassle.

0h, and if it's paid, i imagine male employees would be annoyed that women get more paid vacation days than they do, as syk said.

7. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

If it was paid, then it's obviously not equal, women getting paid to have their period, great.

"Seriously, this does nothing but argue that women are incapable of handling their own normal bodily functions or are so emotionally needy that they need somebody to acknowledge and coddle every ailment they have that isn't generally experienced by men. Both genders have things going on with their bodies that are inconvenient, annoying, or painful. We've dealt with it just fine for millennia."

8. Sykikal

Yeah, I'd argue maternity leaves also do this, but companies don't want to be obvious about discrimination or else they could be sued. Personally, I'm opposed to maternity leave altogether. Though with most companies it's a small enough cost (or happens infrequently enough) to overlook. This "period leave" stuff seems a lot worse/more frequent, so I'd argue it is more likely to have an impact of women hiring rates.

Somewhat related story, women tend to call in sick more than men in general. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4241746

9. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

How would this be discrimination? I don't understand.

10. Sykikal

You said it'd make it more economical to just hire men, but most companies in USA can't legally just refuse to hire women (might be a few exceptions, eg. religious organizations). So a company can't legally say "Because you're a women, and are eligible for extra leave programs, we'd rather hire a man over you".

11. Marly

Marly Gamer

Women have dealt with it for ages.

Why should this change? What's the idea behind lowering work ethic standards even more than they already are?

It's a stupid as shit idea.

Sykikal likes this.
  12. ATPrime

ATPrime Junior Gamer

i imagine radical feminists will praise this idea if they catch wind of it at some point

13. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

These "feminists" would probably want a paid leave, which is already going against their "equal" beliefs.

Equal pay for equal work for everyone. Sure a paid maternity leave might be an exception, but a paid period leave on top of that? Yeez.

14. Marly

Marly Gamer

Of course they will. They love putting least amount of effort as possible for as much profit as possible- They're like the living embodiment of American ideology, and that's incredibly cancerous.

15. ATPrime

ATPrime Junior Gamer

they don't care, as long as they're more equal than others

pretty much. like i said, as long as they're more equal than white cis scum, they're okay with it

16. vengvong

vengvong Limit Breaker

In the end, this would only be equal if men got increased days off as well (which is obviously not happening)

Another issue, what if a large number of females at the company had their periods around the same time of month? That would mean that a significant number of employees wouldn't show up for that number of days.

17. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

According to the article, it doesn't state if it's paid leave or not. Even if it's not, I'm fine with that. The ENTIRE reason they even allowed it is because when they come back, they work 3 times better which should make up for any lost time, they even stated
    I'm not sure who you're quoting but that's just dumb. "dealt with it fine for a millennia" I'd like to know how they define "fine" we have new medications we didn't have "a millennia" ago but they don't always help or they have side effects. We don't need to be "coddled" but it fucking sucks, nobody likes pain, nobody wants to work any job while experiencing labor pains. There is no "coddling" in letting someone take a day or two off to rest or deal with their situation how they need to in order to come back to work fully ready, Valve has a similar policy in general for their employees if they're sick and they get paid leave if I recall. I think this was a bad attempt from someone to try and trivialize how bad periods can be for women. It's not a little cramping, bleeding and a want for a snickers bar and you're good. What's worse, if your mother never had an issue with periods (which can change if you have kids, they can get worse or better) then you won't understand growing up.

I imagine if their period didn't bother them, the woman wouldn't take off. It also doesn't say for how long. Some women get it so debilitating that they vomit or have constipation/diarrhea because of the hormone change and contracting of the uterus, you literally want to double over and like for myself, nothing helps, no medicine, no hot water/heating pad, no sitting/lying down positions.

I usually cramp really bad the first 12 hours or so, sometimes you cry it's so bad. Other times you rarely cramp at all, your body really just fucks you over like that and if you're out and about, like last month I was staying with my dad and we were out looking at a tourist ghost town, we were leisurely walking through the shops but I was in so much pain I wanted to just lie down and curl up but couldn't because we were in a gift shop, you just clench your fist and try to not pass out, it comes in waves, sometimes worse.

Period cramps are legitimately like labor pains so if you've ever seen a woman in labor, crying, screaming etc. Your uterus is contracting, it's the same as a charlie horse in your leg but in your uterus, for men who might not know how that feels as an organ in your body, imagine those bad diarrhea cramps you get in your stomach and lower intestines, it's like that but on higher scale. On top of the pain being terrible, you have to act fine, normally because I'm just an asshole all the time, you can't tell. Other women get REALLY emotional.

I just silently want to rip people's eyes out, literally only because of the pain, not because I'm upset emotionally. Menstruation also drains you physically. Your energy is literally sapped, if you're not nauseous and vomiting you're going to be really hungry, probably bloated which makes you feel overall sick. A lot of women break out in acne on their periods which means more makeup if you wear it/more time to get ready. Your period can last anywhere from 3-7 days and this is every month, you get 2-3 weeks break before it starts all over again. You can try to "track" it but it moves around so you just have to be ready for it whenever. Not including all the stigma from it.

Men don't naturally have any equivalent for that. Same way men don't have a natural equivalent for birth, the only thing I can think of that men have to deal with that is painful is testical pain/sensitivity which can be dealt with, with a cup or form fitting underwear. Women can use birth control to try and make their periods less frequent but it doesn't always work and my sister got really sick from them so she stopped taking the pill, she's pregnant now but I digress. Other than that there is surgery to take out the uterus, a partial hysterectomy which I've thought of getting just because of the pain every month. They take out your uterus but leave the ovaries so you keep producing estrogen, which is what is needed so women don't start growing hair all over and shit.

They're not lowering "work ethic standards" I would assume they know exactly what they are doing for their business as they have been running it for years, and know if the program is working for them or not better than you can anticipate. It might on your end seem a "stupid as shit" idea but if you could talk to the women there or the owners of the company, do you think you'd be able to articulate just why it's a stupid as shit idea?

Why is it radical?

Women's periods don't "sync up" that's a myth, but they do change and can move around, I doubt that even 10 of the women there would have same time periods. Even if, I'm sure the company thought of this and didn't see it as an issue for their business. Other businesses maybe but for this single business and how they run it, this policy works for them. I don't think it's fair to start mass assuming that it's going to happen to ALL businesses and that it's automatically going to be paid leave and how it's unfair and start bashing people just because of what you THINK they might say or do.

Getting a job always worried me because I do sometimes have very painful periods and I'd be afraid to call off or use a sick day (you sometimes have to work for a year at the company before they allow sick leave) because if I called off for a day or two every month, I would worried about getting fired. So if this policy allows women to take a day or so off when they need it for menstruation issues, then hell yeah upon returning to work I'd be ready for whatever they throw at me.

The article I read http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/mar/02/uk-company-introduce-period-policy-female-staff

Overall they didn't give enough information on the policy for us to judge it accurately without wild speculation.
    While true on the surface, it's Not long term sick leave and there are factors in this.

1. It was a Finnish study which I personally agree with Dr. Ira Rubin, their healthcare system is far better than ours. If you don't have decent healthcare here, you're not seeing a doctor for shit unless you're dying, get fucking stuck with $5k+ hospital bill
    2. Women also have periods and would use short term sick leave for that if they really needed
    3. Women are naturally better at diagnosing/detecting problems in their body than men, it's a maternal thing
    4. Women are more likely to seek help in general than men.
    5. If you're a single mother who works, you're likely to take time off if the kids have doctors appointments or other issues.

18. Knagg

Knagg Destroyer of Opinions

No. Just Cause.

19. Sykikal

You raise a lot of goods points. It'd annoy me if women got more paid time off than men, but if it were unpaid I wouldn't mine. If I had the option I don't think I'd take unpaid time off anyway. I wouldn't mind more paid sick/vacation time for everyone either. Other countries seem to workout with more vacation days than what USA has, I just think it should be even.

I'm not saying you would do this, but I feel like a lot of people complaining about the wage gap aren't really taking into account the extra time off women are taking. If you want to opt to take extra time off for less pay, that's all fine, but don't then complain that you're making less money than someone who isn't taking that time off.

20. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Women tend to have more responsibilities than men, there are more single mothers than fathers. However I personally opt for more overall days off for people in general, everyone should get like at least one day off a month for whatever they need, the less stressed out employees are, the more efficiently they work. Same with pay, if they are paid more and are able to live comfortably off it (comfortable doesn't mean a lambo in the garage) then they feel they are getting paid their worth and work better. If you're busting your ass for hardly anything and are still poor, you're not going to be very motivated to keep going on that way.

EDIT: It really depends on how the policy is too, they don't say how many days they get off and if it's just an honor system thing, I would be opposed to letting women get like a week off every month, usually though a woman who has a period that affects her that much for the whole duration will have medication or something from the doctor as evidence.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016