Considering replacing xat chat with built in shoutbox

Discussion in 'Questions Assistance & Feedback' started by Sykikal, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

I was thinking of replacing the xat chat with a built in shoutbox. Here's what it looks like.
    [​IMG]

Here's where you can read more details about it http://xenforo.com/community/resources/taigachat-pro-realtime-chat-shoutbox.1224/

Advantages to xat:

• Custom smiles/any smiles
    • BBcode
    • Timestamps
    • No Linkvalidator
    • Less annoying xat/powers stuff.
    • Less spammy unregistered people/bots.
    • Interesting conversations can be archived to a thread.
    • Built into the forum, one less registration people have to do to get full access to VGI.

Disadvantages to xat:
    • No private messages.
    • Won't draw users who find out about VGI through xat.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    Shadow and CROWley like this.
  2. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

I like it, it's nice but that means we'll have to just frequent the forum all the time which is good. It might make others remember there is a forum and encourage them to post discussion worthy threads and no more broken links in Xat. What're you going to do with the Xat chat?

3. Sykikal

If I decide to do this, (big if) I would probably reset the chat, make it members only, and put up a chat announcement (that little help message) linking people to the shoutbox. Maybe I or another staff member could leave the chat open for a few weeks just to nag people to come on the forums.

4. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

The chat itself is kind of popular, it would be a little sad to just drop it, we could like you said set someone up there incase people do drop by but then everyone might just go back to the chat since that person is there and hang out there all over again

5. Sykikal

"A house divided against itself cannot stand". Activity builds on itself, the more people in a chat the more discussion is started and the more people are inclined to join. Having two official chats would be confusing. Instead of six members on one chat it'd be 3 on one and 3 on another and then people would just think the site is even more inactive. I don't really want to bother maintaining two separate chats.

6. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Indeed. You could have a bot set up that says whatever message you want it to when someone new joins

7. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

The people that want to chat will come to the forums chat. We wouldn't have to deal with all the Xat morons either. I really like that popular discussions can be saved as threads. No more missing out on interesting conversations.

And having two places for people to meet up is A detriment. Activity builds on itself, if people are on the chat why bother with the forums? People say talking on the chat is faster. Well they could chat on the forums and remember that it exists, they could join in on thread discussions like the rest of us.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    Shadow likes this.
  8. Outerspace

Outerspace Plebian

looks good

9. Sykikal

I got the opinion of people who are on the VGI chatroom but don't feel like posting. Here's are the opinions I have so far.

Myself, Deagger, Shadow, and HaxAras seem to be in favor of the shoutbox.

Jenna, Azure, and Seth, shadowray7, and Lavitz told me that they were mostly indifferent about which chat we used and they'd visit either.

Yovi, Miles, Murder, told me they prefer xat but would also be okay with the shoutbox.

Musashi, and dan told me they're only going to use xat and that will not use the shoutbox if I switched.

I'm still polling opinions. What's more important than votes, are legitimate arguments about why I should either choose to continue to use xat or switch to the shout box.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  10. Lavitz

Lavitz Inactive Staff Member

11. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

Shadow likes this.
  12. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

I'd say why not give the shoutbox a try for even a month or so, if everyone really hates it (doubtful) we could go back to Xat. The shoutbox has more pros than cons compared to xat.

The three biggest advantages being:
    • Interesting conversations can be archived to a thread.
    • People who come to VGI will likely be gamers instead of just randoms looking to chat
    • Permanent chat logs
    I don't think you have that last one listed actually. We're rarely getting members via xat and any that we do come across have no interest in anything other than hanging out at a chat which they can go do elsewhere, the forum is the main goal, the chat is supposed to compliment the forum not overshadow it. More real forum activity could definitely spark more of an interest with search engines and potential users rather than just a few of us posting every once in a while. Plus if someone comes on to check out the forum and they see people in the chat actively talking they'll know the forum isn't dead.

CROWley likes this.
  13. Sykikal

The permanent chat logs thing is sort of implied in the one about interesting conversations being archived to a thread. The reason I don't want to give it a try for a month is because it costs $35-$40 USD. I don't want to buy it and then find out people don't like it later. Plus it could dramatically affect the activity of the chat if I shut it down for a month and then bring it back. I don't want to do this if there's a good chance I'd go back later. I either want to go all in with this or not at all.

14. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

There is a free version? Regardless though there are still more pros for it than cons and more people in favor of it

15. Sykikal

Including myself there are four people in favor of it and five people against it (although only two old me they would not use the shout box if I switched). Someone could argue that it is about quality and not quantity, eg. the two cons are more significant and the outweigh the pros.

Besides which, that's just so far. The xat chat has been around for years and I've only been polling opinions for a few days, I want to give everyone time to weigh in. There could be other disadvantages that I just haven't thought of yet. Unfortunately, no one who is against it has actually posted on the forum yet, which is kind of what I'm looking for. Solid arguments against it. I think it would be premature to switch when the other side hasn't even given their arguments but I suppose if no one steps up to defend xat I'd have to switch over eventually.

I suppose I could use the free one but I'm worried if I used the free one it would give people a bad first impression of the chat. Again, I'd kind of rather just decide one way or the other and then go all in than test the waters with the free one.

16. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

The few people who are not in favor of the shoutbox don't really use the forums anyway except Miles. I don't see how the only two disadvantages outweigh the others when one of them is not being able to PC people. That's not a huge deal, the forum has a PM system and there's skype/steam etc

The other reason being
    • Won't draw users who find out about VGI through xat.
    Few did and fewer actually stayed to contribute. You have a bunch of, for lack of a better word, moochers on the chat just using it as some hang out spot, they don't care about games and even less so, the forum. You can't rely on some broken down flash chat site for the majority of your traffic. All you're likely to get most of the time is idiots who are likely below the age of 15, immature and won't stay very long. I think we can do without them. They'd only make the forum look worse.

17. Lavitz

I think the shoutbox could work, but I also think the site isn't able to bring in enough new users on its own and a lot of them come from xat. How often are people finding the site through other places that aren't xat and signing up? You need to give us this info before we make a choice.

18. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Well you need to try other options and not be so negative about them working. You guys don't really have a goal here or any kind of optimism. You're kind of just stuck in this "well I'd like it to happen but I doubt it will" kind of attitude. I know you've been at it a long time but sometimes it does take years to get a forum off the ground. I've given ideas to Sy before but maybe I can try to come up with some more. I can't just do this by myself though.

19. Lavitz

And you've only been around for a year so you have no idea, don't tell me I'm being negative after all the things that me and everyone else have tried

20. Sykikal

Yes, sometimes it takes years for forums to get off, but sometimes years pass and forums never get off. We have tried other options. Here's a brief list of them
    • Giving out free Pokemon to members
    • making the pokedex
    • getting the new smiles
    • changing the forum icons
    • changing the forum layout several times
    • emailing old members/checking for their facebook and asking them to come back on
    • asking mods/members to post more and contribute to the site
    • encouraging users to put our links/images on their site or on their signiture,
    • putting my site's link in my signiture on other forums
    • paying for $100 worth of google ads,
    • YouTube lets plays, streaming
    • buying vBSEO search engine optimization and later Xenforo which has built in SEO
    • paying users xats to post
    • implementing the store to encourage users to post
    • contests
    • tournaments
    • signing up to Facebook, Twitter Reddit etc to spread the link around
    • Writing articles
    • Putting in an awards system to encourage activity
    • The steam group
    • Streaming video game lets plays
    • Adding the reviews section
    • Trying to get other users to help out with the lets plays/podcats,
    • Making the faq/walkthrough section, although it was a bigger project than I expected and it still isn't anywhere close to completion

What were your ideas? I forgot. I want to hear them again. Lavitz has a point. There's a difference between prematurely giving up and realizing what you're doing isn't working. I know people who believe it is their "destiny" to be a rock star. They spend years and years practicing, singing, they give up their whole life for it, all under the premise that they shouldn't "give up" and the next day it will work and it never did. I've heard of people who pursue broken relationships with the same amount of enthusiasm. "If I just send one more birthday card, one more text message she'll take me back". I know people who get into carnival games or claw games. "If I just buy the game one more time I'll win the prize. I can't give up now." There comes a point when you have to realize "Hey, what I'm doing isn't working, this is time better spent elsewhere."

Despite this, I haven't "given up", I'm not against new ideas. If I was, I wouldn't have upgraded the forums. Though you can understand Lavitz and my skepticism towards new and untried methods given the record of poor results we've had so far.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014