Classic Gaming

Discussion in 'Classic gaming' started by Shadow, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

A lot of us have been caught up in all the new hot games being released, graphics, new gameplay elements, online multiplayer etc but I think most of us have forgotten how we got to this point. All the games that helped shape the games we play today and the industry as a whole.

I have been reading Jacked, watching some documentaries on how some video game series's came to be and even looking at the design docutments that were released and looking up more resouces for the first two GTA games

I've found and already downloaded a few old classic games from Best Old Games for free download | BestOldGames.net

Here are three more for more old games

Old-Games.com: 8000+ Games to download
    My Abandonware - download games from the 80s and 90s for free
    Classic Gaming Network - Abandonware Lives

You can buy older games from GOG.com, occasionally Steam if you feel bad about it but not all old games are on there, GTA for example.

Yeah the legality is a grey area and it can be argued far and wide but my goal here is to maybe inspire others to pick up an old game and take an interest in maybe some history as to how the industry and these games came about.

I myself will be starting to play some older classic games that I missed out on like GTA, Lemmings, Alone in the Dark, Commander Keen, Castlevania, Paperboy, TES Area, System Shock, Doom, Metal Slug, Double Dragon, MegaMan, Metroid etc

I'd love some more suggestions for older games to play and maybe hear what if any, older games you're playing or would like to play

2. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

I am going off topic here but I just tried installing an old game and I thought I might as well share my experience here.

Command and Conquer: The First Decade recently. It was really inconvenient to make it work on my PC. It is a real time military strategy game for those who aren't familiar with it. When I first installed it my PC, all my troops blew up on Red Alert 2. According to this IGN article it is an anti-piracy thing that sometimes also effects legitimate players Eight of the Most Hilarious Anti-Piracy Measures in Video Games - IGN . Turns out I have to set compatibility to Windows XP or something, so I did that, and got rid of the troops exploding. On top of that, there were graphical errors where the menu didn't show up on the game. I found some guide online that showed how I could fix it in some convoluted way by extending the monitors.

After I did this, it finally worked, although I had to extend my monitors everytime I wanted to play.

Though I came across another problem later on. The game wasn't reading my CD. Even though I had the CD in there and most of the games installed. Although there was still anther game on the disc that I wanted to install (first decade is a collection of games). I don't know if it was a problem with my disc drive or the game but it wasn't reading it. So I googled it and it turns out there is an error with the game that makes it appear as if the disc is out even when it is in.

So went to another computer and downloaded some program to backup my CD, and then I used Daemon Tools to mount the CD image I uploaded but it still wasn't working. I googled it, turns out there's yet another bug with the program that causes it to not detect the CD correctly, but the community uploaded a nocd patch for it to fix it. So I downloaded that. It seems to have fixed the graphical problems as well.

Long story short **** EA's donkey jello anti-piracy procedures.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Lol yes I have seen that article, pretty hilarious. I've had an issue with the GTA IV thing on my legit copy on steam, did a few fixes and it's fine now.

Older games it may just be easier to download and play through DOS or something if it requires it

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
  4. CROWley

CROWley Inactive

I've had interest in and downloaded the Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. I had to follow some video guides to get it to work. I haven't really had the desire to play any more older games like that. The rest I just buy on console to play.

I have heard of some game that makes you shoot chickens when you're shooting. I also heard the original Fired Red and Leaf Green roms had some hidden anti-piracy message. I think the article I read said you'd need an older rom/emulator to see it though.

5. Shadow

Shadow ಠ_ಠ

Those Bethesda games are always a pain to get working but most of these classic games are easy