Changing the chat software

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Sykikal, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

After a lot of thought, and after hearing the opinion of a lot of the regular visitors of VGI, and a lot of comparing between the two platofrms I've decided to change the site's chat software. I'm moving over to a built in shoutbox instead of using xat.

I hope I don't come across as too dramatic, but I've been using xat as Video Game Info's chat service for more than six years. A lot of people found out about VGI through xat. I have a ton of great memories from all the conversations I had there. and I didn't make this decision lightly. Though what is most important is to distinguish between the people and the service, yes software plays a role, but ultimately it's the members who made it happen. It isn't vBulletin or xat that is the main factor, it's the member.

My hope is that we can separate the people from the software and that the vast majority of people who visited VGI on xat will be willing to come over to this new software platform. I'm really looking forward to taking this next step in VGI.

http://www.videogameinfo.net/forums/chat/

Knagg, CROWley and Shadow like this.
  2. Knagg

Knagg Destroyer of Opinions

You've never stated the reason of "why" you wanted to change the software.

Either way, looking back on the two months, do you feel it was the right move, Sykikal?

3. Sykikal

Sykikal Very mentally stable admin Staff Member

4. Knagg

Knagg Destroyer of Opinions

Well then, in that case, right on.

5. Shiny Ablico

Shiny Ablico Protector of the People

I think this chat software is better, Xat was buggy and this way you can control everything without working with an external site.