changeing default file opener (.exe opening with Notepad)

Discussion in 'Questions Assistance & Feedback' started by D-ri, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D-ri

D-ri Member

Just a while ago I accidentally changed what is used to open .exe files to 7zip after googleing what to do I noticed that the main thing people change it to is Notepad, so I changed it to that as well. then after a few Google pages I found a file that can be used to fix the problem I've attached it to this thread to help if it happens to anyone.

I used Avira to scan it for virus' and there's nothing

Attached Files:

2. Lavitz

Lavitz Gaming Enthusiast Staff Member

I don't understand what you just said:Y

3. D-ri

D-ri Member

Ok you know how there's the 'Open With'? I accidentally did that to an .exe file and made it open with 7zip (a program that open compressed files e.g. .zip, .rar) and so I googled what to do and it's common with alot of people but it mainly people open .exe files with Notepad.
    and I changed it from opening in 7zip to notepad to make it easier, and I came across the file That I attached in the first post which fixed the problem.

Is that easier to understand?

4. Nin10dO

Nin10dO Well-Known Member

Wait are you saying that you clicked another folder thingy, and now the documents that was there before aren't there now?:?:

5. Unleashed

Unleashed Inactive

If that's the case, I would click on the "Recent Documents" folder and it gives you a list of documents you recently saved not too long ago. If this does not help, sorry, if that is what you mean if you lost your files.

6. D-ri

D-ri Member

Ok let's simplify this even more.

Everyone knows of a .exe file? if not there and Application file
    everyone knows that if you right click you can get "open with"
    I did that to an .exe file and all my applications would open in notepad

7. dani

dani Well-Known Member

i feel special cuz i actually understand. :$

8. Lavitz

Lavitz Gaming Enthusiast Staff Member

I understand too, you made a mistake so you messed up the mistake even more so you could fix it with a program you downloaded

9. Unleashed

Unleashed Inactive

I would hire a professional IT Infrastructure to fix it, or one of your friends who knows very well with Information Technology Infrastructures.

10. D-ri

D-ri Member

Kewl I'm getting somewhere.

Yeah.. if that makes sense and that program is a .reg file

Well I would only resort to that if I couldn't find anything on the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.