changeing default file opener (.exe opening with Notepad)

Discussion in 'Questions Assistance & Feedback' started by D-ri, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D-ri

D-ri Begin Your Adventure

Just a while ago I accidentally changed what is used to open .exe files to 7zip after googleing what to do I noticed that the main thing people change it to is Notepad, so I changed it to that as well. then after a few Google pages I found a file that can be used to fix the problem I've attached it to this thread to help if it happens to anyone.

I used Avira to scan it for virus' and there's nothing

Attached Files:

2. Lavitz

Lavitz Gaming Enthusiast Staff Member

I don't understand what you just said:Y

3. D-ri

Ok you know how there's the 'Open With'? I accidentally did that to an .exe file and made it open with 7zip (a program that open compressed files e.g. .zip, .rar) and so I googled what to do and it's common with alot of people but it mainly people open .exe files with Notepad.
    and I changed it from opening in 7zip to notepad to make it easier, and I came across the file That I attached in the first post which fixed the problem.

Is that easier to understand?

4. Nin10dO

Nin10dO Limit Breaker

Wait are you saying that you clicked another folder thingy, and now the documents that was there before aren't there now?:?:

5. Unleashed

Unleashed Inactive

If that's the case, I would click on the "Recent Documents" folder and it gives you a list of documents you recently saved not too long ago. If this does not help, sorry, if that is what you mean if you lost your files.

6. D-ri

Ok let's simplify this even more.

Everyone knows of a .exe file? if not there and Application file
    everyone knows that if you right click you can get "open with"
    I did that to an .exe file and all my applications would open in notepad

7. dani

dani Limit Breaker

i feel special cuz i actually understand. :$

8. Lavitz

Lavitz Gaming Enthusiast Staff Member

I understand too, you made a mistake so you messed up the mistake even more so you could fix it with a program you downloaded

9. Unleashed

Unleashed Inactive

I would hire a professional IT Infrastructure to fix it, or one of your friends who knows very well with Information Technology Infrastructures.

10. D-ri

Kewl I'm getting somewhere.

Yeah.. if that makes sense and that program is a .reg file

Well I would only resort to that if I couldn't find anything on the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.